Coffeehouse Thread

17 posts

An LLC

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Steve411

    Ok, so I decided to go with LLC instead of the rest. We're live, pumpin and read to go. Got one dev and two designers.

    And we're hiring.

    http://www.flyhighsoftware.com

  • User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

    Free complimentary proofreading:

    Our goal is to offer innovate innovative systems to improve current businesses and transform them into intelligent business solutions, for customers in local, regional and international markets.

    On your Technologies and Products pages, make sure you end your sentences with punctuation, even if the sentence ends with a link.  As is, it just looks bad.

    In Firefox, you have bullets showing up on the text links at the bottom of each page (you can't see this in IE).  You should be able to fix this by setting list-style-type:none on the list.

    I know, I'm a critic.  Just trying to help...  the things I pointed out are pretty glaring.  Otherwise it looks pretty nice.  Smiley

  • User profile image
    Steve411

    CannotResolveSymbol wrote:
    Free complimentary proofreading:

    Our goal is to offer innovate innovative systems to improve current businesses and transform them into intelligent business solutions, for customers in local, regional and international markets.

    On your Technologies and Products pages, make sure you end your sentences with punctuation, even if the sentence ends with a link.  As is, it just looks bad.

    In Firefox, you have bullets showing up on the text links at the bottom of each page (you can't see this in IE).  You should be able to fix this by setting list-style-type:none on the list.

    I know, I'm a critic.  Just trying to help...  the things I pointed out are pretty glaring.  Otherwise it looks pretty nice. 


    Hey, thanks!

    * Done

  • User profile image
    TommyCarlier

    Cool design. Bug: on the Technology page the link to the flyhigh .NET Framework doesn't work.

  • User profile image
    l0st.en.​Drago

    Personally I feel it will look better if your menus were centered. Other than that- professional design, and good use of colors.

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    l0st.en.Drago wrote:
    Personally I feel it will look better if your menus were centered. Other than that- professional design, and good use of colors.


    Fails on the XHTML/CSS side of things though.

    "XHTML 1.0 Transitional" compliance really doesn't count for much, and the use of tables for layout defeats the point of CSS.

  • User profile image
    littleguru

    Wow! Awesome design! Who did it?

  • User profile image
    Minh

    Ouch!

  • User profile image
    zian

    The yellow background image makes it a bit painful to read the white text.

  • User profile image
    Steve411

    zian wrote:
    The yellow background image makes it a bit painful to read the white text.


    Yellow background image?

    Minh wrote:
    Ouch!



    Fixed!

    littleguru wrote:
    Wow! Awesome design! Who did it?


    Me.

  • User profile image
    prencher

    There's a few minor issues as I see it:

    • You need to change the "Join Us" link colour on the 'who we are' banner-logo-thingamabob, or simply keep it white. Also you should only display that on the front page, in my opinion.
    • Contact Us should not be a pop-up. Neither should product descriptions.
    • The copyright and the links at the bottom looks malplaced, in that they're not aligned with each other, or centered.
    • I'm a bit dubious as to the stars on the technology page, it doesn't seem all that professional to me. I assume it means "preferred", but you'd only show techs you are competent and comfortable with, right?
    • The font used for the subheadings on services is a bit too big, making it wash a bit with the title and the content - Make it a bit smaller, or place it just under the border. Also, you need more spacing between each section, like you have on technology and products.
    • You might want to show a screenshot with each product on the products page. Add some life to it.
    • Not very professional with "validate xhtml/css" links. This is something you put on your blog or personal website perhaps, but not a business site.

    Other than that, it has a very aesthetically pleasing look and it reads well. The design might be a bit boilerplate, and reminds me of the mozilla.com site. But designs don't have to be new and amazing to be good.

  • User profile image
    ScanIAm

    Steve411 wrote:
    Ok, so I decided to go with LLC instead of the rest. We're live, pumpin and read to go. Got one dev and two designers.

    And we're hiring.

    http://www.flyhighsoftware.com


    Congrats. 

    Just by looking at the site, I'm encouraged to do this as well.  Of course, the other thing I realize by looking at the site is that I'm a dev, not a designer Sad

    How are you going to go about getting customers?

    I've been thinking about this a lot for the last few years, and that is the only thing holding me up.  I guess you could just cold-call/walk in and start trying to work your magic with small businesses.

  • User profile image
    stevo_

    Let the learning begin I guess Tongue Out

  • User profile image
    Steve411

    ScanIAm wrote:
    
    Steve411 wrote:
    Ok, so I decided to go with LLC instead of the rest. We're live, pumpin and read to go. Got one dev and two designers.

    And we're hiring.

    http://www.flyhighsoftware.com


    Congrats. 

    Just by looking at the site, I'm encouraged to do this as well.  Of course, the other thing I realize by looking at the site is that I'm a dev, not a designer

    How are you going to go about getting customers?

    I've been thinking about this a lot for the last few years, and that is the only thing holding me up.  I guess you could just cold-call/walk in and start trying to work your magic with small businesses.


    We're advertising to local businesses right now, newspaper and online marketing. I have a sales lady calling small businesses actually, I've learned that most of them dont respond well to cold-calling.

    - Steve

  • User profile image
    zian

    I was referring to the yellow-orange skyscraper backdrop.

  • User profile image
    ScanIAm

    Steve411 wrote:
    
    ScanIAm wrote:
    
    Steve411 wrote:
    Ok, so I decided to go with LLC instead of the rest. We're live, pumpin and read to go. Got one dev and two designers.

    And we're hiring.

    http://www.flyhighsoftware.com


    Congrats. 

    Just by looking at the site, I'm encouraged to do this as well.  Of course, the other thing I realize by looking at the site is that I'm a dev, not a designer

    How are you going to go about getting customers?

    I've been thinking about this a lot for the last few years, and that is the only thing holding me up.  I guess you could just cold-call/walk in and start trying to work your magic with small businesses.


    We're advertising to local businesses right now, newspaper and online marketing. I have a sales lady calling small businesses actually, I've learned that most of them dont respond well to cold-calling.

    - Steve


    My thought was to ask them what it is that they have to do on a regular basis that takes a lot of manual time or resources to complete.  If that's a task that an application could solve with less resources, then all that's left is to figure out how much to charge.

    The problem is, though, getting to the point of having that conversation. 

  • User profile image
    Steve411

    ScanIAm wrote:
    
    Steve411 wrote:
    
    ScanIAm wrote:
    
    Steve411 wrote:
    Ok, so I decided to go with LLC instead of the rest. We're live, pumpin and read to go. Got one dev and two designers.

    And we're hiring.

    http://www.flyhighsoftware.com/">http://www.flyhighsoftware.com


    Congrats. 

    Just by looking at the site, I'm encouraged to do this as well.  Of course, the other thing I realize by looking at the site is that I'm a dev, not a designer

    How are you going to go about getting customers?

    I've been thinking about this a lot for the last few years, and that is the only thing holding me up.  I guess you could just cold-call/walk in and start trying to work your magic with small businesses.


    We're advertising to local businesses right now, newspaper and online marketing. I have a sales lady calling small businesses actually, I've learned that most of them dont respond well to cold-calling.

    - Steve


    My thought was to ask them what it is that they have to do on a regular basis that takes a lot of manual time or resources to complete.  If that's a task that an application could solve with less resources, then all that's left is to figure out how much to charge.

    The problem is, though, getting to the point of having that conversation. 


    Yes. Most of them actually want web-automated-systems, due to the fact that they want to be able to access it from anywhere without installing an application. We develop all of this in ASP.NET + AJAX and use SQL 05' as the databackend.

    Automation, automation, automation!
    - Steve

    prencher wrote:
    

    There's a few minor issues as I see it:

    • You need to change the "Join Us" link colour on the 'who we are' banner-logo-thingamabob, or simply keep it white. Also you should only display that on the front page, in my opinion.
    • Contact Us should not be a pop-up. Neither should product descriptions.
    • The copyright and the links at the bottom looks malplaced, in that they're not aligned with each other, or centered.
    • I'm a bit dubious as to the stars on the technology page, it doesn't seem all that professional to me. I assume it means "preferred", but you'd only show techs you are competent and comfortable with, right?
    • The font used for the subheadings on services is a bit too big, making it wash a bit with the title and the content - Make it a bit smaller, or place it just under the border. Also, you need more spacing between each section, like you have on technology and products.
    • You might want to show a screenshot with each product on the products page. Add some life to it.
    • Not very professional with "validate xhtml/css" links. This is something you put on your blog or personal website perhaps, but not a business site.



    1. Completely fixed. Infact, changed it around a bit more. All the pages now have "automated" descriptions.
    2. Contact Us is fixed now, product descriptions are coming soon.
    3. Copyright and link aligment is fixed.
    4. Stars have been removed, don't know what I was thinking
    5. Subheadings fixed, spacing between sections fixed.
    6. New screenshots soon.
    7. Validate XHTML and CSS are removed, and replaced with "Legal Notice" and "Privacy Policy"

    - Steve

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.