Coffeehouse Thread

13 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

DirectX10

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Pace

Guys I read mixed views on this, I was wondering if you can help me clear this up. I have recently made a new rig, with some nice dual core, 4gig of RAM (ok XP only shows I have 3.25) and Dual Geforce8800 GTS XT's running in SLi mode. All this in preperation for xmas time, as all the swanky new games are coming out.

Now XP isnt capable of running DX10 right?

So, if I stay on XP, I wont be able to run the DX10 games?

Ok, I could install vista... but what about all my legitimate iTunes music? Wont I loose it all.

Im just curious as to what to do.

Will there not be this DX9L ?

Help. lol
    Thanks,
    Pace

• User profile image
    W3bbo

With iTunes, you can "deactivate" a computer so you can move your purchased music over.

And yes, DX10 is strictly Vista only, for believable and reasonable technical reasons.

But Halo 2 being Vista only because of DX10? Yeah, that ranks pretty high on the "bullshít" scale of things...

But you're not missing out on much, no real games are DX10 because too many people are still using XP.

• User profile image
    Rossj

After you have de-activated your PC (Store/Deauthorize Computer) in iTunes you might want to use the Backup option in the File menu.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Vista x86 will also only detect 3.25 GB of RAM. This is a motherboard limitation on x86 systems. Some mother boards will detect more, some less and it even depents on how many PCI cards you have in your system (weird, but is). If you would switch to Vista x64 you would see all your 4 GB of RAM.

Just my sentence to the RAM thing...

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

littleguru wrote:
    Vista x86 will also only detect 3.25 GB of RAM. This is a motherboard limitation on x86 systems. Some mother boards will detect more, some less and it even depents on how many PCI cards you have in your system (weird, but is). If you would switch to Vista x64 you would see all your 4 GB of RAM.

Just my sentence to the RAM thing...

The problem here is physical address space. A 32 bit computer has only 32 bit of address space. This space is used by RAM, but also by memory-mapped devices, which includes your video card's RAM. So if the upper region of the address space is used by these devices, you lose the ability to address that portion of RAM if you have that much.

64 bit computers obviously have more address space, but for various reasons devices are still mapped into the first 4GB. Some motherboards have the ability to remap the portion of RAM that is lost to the devices into the region above 4GB. Even then, only 64 bit operating systems will be able to see the the full RAM (in theory, in 32 bit this would also be possible with Physical Address Extension (PAE), but I'm not sure if Vista supports this (EDIT: I know Vista supports PAE, but I'm not sure if it can use that to see RAM mapped in the above 4GB area since Vista x86 does not support more than 4GB RAM)).

So you need two things to see the full 4GB: a motherboard that can do this remapping and a 64 bit OS (e.g. Vista x64).

• User profile image
    JonLumb

W3bbo wrote:
    But you're not missing out on much, no real games are DX10 because too many people are still using XP.

Crysis is out in a month, doesn't that count?

• User profile image
    Harlequin

JonLumb wrote:

W3bbo wrote:

Crysis is out in a month, doesn't that count?

And Eve Online has a new engine coming out in November, which I think has a DX10 client as well. Can't wait for that Smiley

• User profile image
    ZippyV

The new Eve client is DirectX 9 not 10.

• User profile image
    Pace

Next q...

So say I move to Vista, and im using DirectX10... I can run 9 games right?

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Of course. And 8 games, and 7, and 6, and 5, and 3, and 2, and 1.

Not 4 though, because that doesn't exist. Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Bas

Pace wrote:
    Next q...

So say I move to Vista, and im using DirectX10... I can run 9 games right?

Vista runs both 9 and 10, so yes.

• User profile image
    xporvista

Pace wrote:
    Next q...

So say I move to Vista, and I'm using DirectX10... I can run 9 games right?

Absolutely! There will be no games coming in the next year or 2 that will be just DX10. All the latest games have an option that enables DX10 for the game if supported. I have recently purchased Bioshock and have ran it on XP and Vista. There is an option in the game that will allow you to turn on/off DX10 effects.

With all this talk about Vista being crap, I thought so too when it first came out. Now with the new Microsoft patches and Nvidia drivers, Vista is getting better.

Just an example, I first installed Vista a ran 3dMark 2001, just for the sake of being an old DX9 benchmark tool. I scored a 23xxx on Vista and a 33xxx on XP. With the new patches and latest Nvidia beta driver 163.75, I scored a 28,437 this time on Vista. So the performance is getting closer.

FYI C2D 6700@ 3Ghz, eVGA 680i A2, 2 gig Super Talent DDR2@880Mhz, Nvidia 7800gt.

Hope this helps.

• User profile image
    DigitalDud

You may want to hold off to play Halo3 on DX13 with Windows 9.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.