Coffeehouse Thread

17 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Microsoft gets the open source licensing nod from the OSI

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ray6

Blimey

Expressionless

But it didn't come without a few changes. Mary Jo has all the details

Now this can go one of three ways.

#1 - This is a disaster! MS will try to destroy open source from the inside. But we shall prevail! We shall be victorious! They may take our bean bags, but they'll never take our FREEEEDOOOOOMMMMMM!!!

#2 - This is the beginning of the end for Microsoft! They have seen their feeble gonads crushed beneath the mighty jackboot of open source! They have folded. Capitulated. Game over. Microsoft's days are numbered.

#3 - Cool! Welcome aboard! Now let's work together to stop this fanboy silliness shall we?

• User profile image
    corona_coder

Shouldnt the title read "Microsoft Buys off the OSI" They just lost all credibility in the OSS community by approving those licenses. This truly is a sad day for open source.

• User profile image
    blowdart

corona_coder wrote:
    Shouldnt the title read "Microsoft Buys off the OSI" They just lost all credibility in the OSS community by approving those licenses. This truly is a sad day for open source.

In the same way you lose credability (did you have any anyway) by posting after your numerous promises that you would never post again?

Hey, this means the GPL isn't credible any more either, it's OSI approved!

• User profile image
    corona_coder

The GPL is the most credible license out there. These Microsoft licenses are the wooden horses of old.

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

corona_coder wrote:
    The GPL is the most credible license out there. These Microsoft licenses are the wooden horses of old.

I much prefer Spybots DPL. Tongue Out

• User profile image
    JonesJ

corona_coder

Go and annoy some people who give a sh1t about what you have to say please.

Microsoft hating is an illness, you are a sufferer.

• User profile image
    blowdart

corona_coder wrote:

But the GPL is OSI approved; and the OSI have no credibility, so the GPL must be un-credible *snicker*

Really; go away, you're boring and tiresome. Try the outside, you might like it.

• User profile image
    corona_coder

The GPL is an FSF creation which has more credibility than even Microsoft blowdart. Microsoft licenses will never be adopted an no code licensed under these licenses will pollute the Linux kernel. Thats what M$ is hoping for, that their wooden horses will make it into the Linux kernel. They have no faith in Vi$ta so they are hoping to get into OSS.

• User profile image
    Rossj

Thanks JupiterImages for having a pic of Corona's car.

• User profile image
    blowdart

corona_coder wrote:
    The GPL is an FSF creation which has more credibility than even Microsoft blowdart. Microsoft licenses will never be adopted an no code licensed under these licenses will pollute the Linux kernel. Thats what M$ is hoping for, that their wooden horses will make it into the Linux kernel. They have no faith in Vi$ta so they are hoping to get into OSS.

Oh yea, the use of $ signs, that's really original. I never saw that before, I am persuaded by your argument and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

corona_coder wrote:
    They have no faith in Vi$ta so they are hoping to get into OSS.

Which is why they're bringing out a service pack and have a lot of ad campaigns?

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

Rossj wrote:

Thanks JupiterImages for having a pic of Corona's car.

I keep hearing about either corona or beer parking an a lake but I have no idea as to the history behind it. Anyone care to enlighten me?

• User profile image
    Ray6

corona_coder wrote:

So you're opting for #1 then ... Smiley

• User profile image
    magicalclick

I am confused. What does this really do? I have read the article, but still can't make anything out of it. Is it basically mean like IE will eventually become open source, stuff like that.

I do know their under the radar free next-gen Paint .Net is an open source goodness. It would be cool to have more stuff open source so we can improve the application the way we wanted.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

This was a good move by the OSI.

Their reputation and credability were on thin ice by shunning Microsoft's license for ideological reasons and refuse to credit any technical merit or perhaps trying to establish a technical reasons that satisify their ideology.

• User profile image
    blowdart

magicalclick wrote:
    I am confused. What does this really do? I have read the article, but still can't make anything out of it. Is it basically mean like IE will eventually become open source, stuff like that.

No, why would it? It just means that there's another Open Source license people can use should they wish to, it's not an announcement that Windows is going to be licensed under it

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Ok Beer, good to see you are back and playing your Darth Vista role again now please just go away.

donttazemebro wrote:

corona_coder wrote:

Don't worry, you'll still be able to run your open source software, as long as it is on Windows and licenced under a Microsoft approved licence. Hey, it's "open source" now! No need for Linux anymore.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.