Coffeehouse Thread

26 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Live Search vs. Google

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    giovanni

The new version Live Search has been out for a few weeks now and I have been using it intermittently as an alternative to Google.

My feeling is that the new version improved a lot both in relevance and number of results, but that it still does not shine when compared to Google in both areas.

How do you feel about it?

• User profile image
    Rossj

My issue with Live, and it isn't a technical one, is that I've been using Google for quite a while now, and it is almost reflex to use Google to search.  It would take more effort than I am willing to expend to change, on the off-chance that it is better than something that is currently adequate to my needs.

So I can't really answer your question.

• User profile image
    odujosh

I think Microsoft has lost. Now its just a matter of realizing thats the case.

• User profile image
    giovanni

odujosh wrote:

I don't think Live is the best search engine right now, but saying that Microsoft lost is simply not right because the battle is very open (and I hope it stays open for the sake of diversity). Live search has improved and I do prefer it to google for Image search for example.

• User profile image
    Massif

odujosh wrote:

At (if I remember correctly) something like 25% market share, it's hardly a loss.

Granted they haven't "won" but they're not doing too badly.

• User profile image
    Rossj

giovanni wrote:
    I don't think Live is the best search engine right now, but saying that Microsoft lost is simply not right because the battle is very open ...

Regardless of technology, when your competitor's name has become a verb (or a descriptive term for a product) - surely you've pretty much given up the #1 slot (see Xerox/iPod/Google).

• User profile image
    giovanni

Rossj wrote:

giovanni wrote:
    I don't think Live is the best search engine right now, but saying that Microsoft lost is simply not right because the battle is very open ...

Regardless of technology, when your competitor's name has become a verb (or a descriptive term for a product) - surely you've pretty much given up the #1 slot (see Xerox/iPod/Google).

There are plenty of brand names that became verbs or nouns (Xerox was synonym of photocopy at one time, Kleenex of tissue, etc.), yet they don't have a monopoly anymore.

Besides, to go back to the original question, how do you feel about this new release of Live Search?

• User profile image
    TiAdiMundo

The new Live Search is really good and an improvement to the previous version BUT they should clean up all the Windows Live chaos! There are too much different designs, too much complexity, long and confusing product names (for example is "Windows Live Mail Desktop" an web service or an app?). Why didn't they just call the web services "Live" (as it is on the Xbox and Office systems) and created some "plug ins" for the Windows apps where you could manage all WL plug ins within the control panel in Windows?

IMO "software + service" is the wrong strategy and confusing customers is also not good for the Live Search service at all.

• User profile image
    Massif

Rossj wrote:

giovanni wrote:

When did you last buy a Hoover? Or actual Sellotape?

• User profile image
    Rossj

Massif wrote:

When did you last buy a Hoover? Or actual Sellotape?

I last bought a hoover about 6 months ago.

• User profile image
    Rossj

Ray6 wrote:

Rossj wrote:
    My issue with Live, and it isn't a technical one, is that I've been using Google for quite a while now, and it is almost reflex to use Google to search.  It would take more effort than I am willing to expend to change, on the off-chance that it is better than something that is currently adequate to my needs.

Martha! Call the police! There's a man over there beating a Mac metaphor to death with his bare wit!

Eh?

• User profile image
    Ray6

Rossj wrote:

Martha! Call the police! There's a man over there beating a Mac metaphor to death with his bare wit!

For the most part, you actually make a good point; MS has got a fight on it hands if it wants to switch people over. It has no idea how to really market itself on the web space, and I think that will hold it behind Google, pretty much forever.

But your argument falls down simply because no-one has to shell out $500 and learn a new operating system, just to try Live Search.

• User profile image
    Ray6

Rossj wrote:

Ray6 wrote:

Rossj wrote:

Eh?

Sorry ... I changed the message before realising someone had added to the thread.

Explanation is above ....

• User profile image
    Rossj

Ray6 wrote:

Sorry ... I changed the message before realising someone had added to the thread.

Explanation is above ....

But it is not the cost of switching OS - all of my browsers on all of my machines are setup to use Google as search (Windows, OSX or Linux), it'll be a real pain in the arse to go and change them all, and remember on new machines to not type google.com - all for potentially no gain.  Why bother? If it ain't broke...

• User profile image
    giovanni

Rossj wrote:

But it is not the cost of switching OS - all of my browsers on all of my machines are setup to use Google as search (Windows, OSX or Linux), it'll be a real pain in the arse to go and change them all, and remember on new machines to not type google.com - all for potentially no gain.  Why bother? If it ain't broke...

I think you have a point there. To change your habits, Microsoft must outperform Google and not simply match it, but that is not impossible to do.

• User profile image
    harumscarum

Rossj wrote:

I am in the same boat. I have tried a few times to start using live but always go back to google because it is just a natural reflex.

• User profile image
    Sabot

http://bink.nu/news/search-google-61-billion-vs-microsoft-3-3-billion.aspx

Even a very small percentage of the market is still alot !

So when you are at the top of one market where is the only place you can go? Other markets is the answer.

Lets be honest, Googles offering other than search have either been toys with little business benefit (e.g. Google Maps) or mediocre to rubbish (Google Office)

On the school report I would write ... must try harder.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Sabot wrote:

Lets be honest, Googles offering other than search have either been toys with little business benefit (e.g. Google Maps) or mediocre to rubbish (Google Office)

On the school report I would write ... must try harder.

... or possibly '... easily distracted'

Herbie

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.