Coffeehouse Thread

20 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Employment.End(me);

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

So I got hit by this big one, after 5 years. I've been asked to stay on our transitional team and stay till Dec 14th, then I get 4 months of severance pay, so that concludes my employment with AOL.

I'm kinda hoping to get into Microsoft or Google, or Yahoo!, though I just got off the phones with a recruiter for IBM so who knows...

So Jeff, still have those positions?

And for anyone who cares...here's my resume.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

i'm sorry to hear that, why this happened? that team doesn't need more people or what?

btw well formatted C.V. easy to read Smiley

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Ion Todirel wrote:
    i'm sorry to hear that, why this happened? that team doesn't need more people or what?

btw well formatted C.V. easy to read

Um, I'll say it in the most professional way I can...employment expenses can be handled cheaper in other locations. Smiley

Thanks!

• User profile image
    ktr

Tough break man. Don’t worry about it though. You’re more than talented enough for a better job. Smiley

• User profile image
    dahat

Sorry to hear it... on the plus side you'll probably never have to worry about end of year staff reductions as you have at AOL for so long.

I'd say good luck... however I suspect that you wont be needing it.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

Damn, that sucks.  Give yourself a break, though.  I was given 3 months of severance a few years ago and I spent all of it completely stressed out about where the next job would come from.  The market is currently good, and you're obviously talented, so take a break.  Sleep in, game all night, and enjoy yourself for a few weeks.

You won't have that many opportunities to do so before you die, so why not now Smiley

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Sorry man, know how it feels.  I was just told the other day that Cisco is looking to thin the ranks as well.  Luckily nothing official has come down the pipe but everyone in the group has been a little high strung about it.  Especially since we have a strange meeting next week with half the group meeting one day and the other half the next day. Ussually if its something work related we all meet the same day and ussually at 5:00am  Thats why I am up right now Im getting ready for a meeting.

If it happens it happens, take it as a blessing and hey you get to try something new.

• User profile image
    Detroit Muscle

A word of advice to all the C9ers, if you want to work in the technolgy sector, I highly recomend working for a Japanese company. The Japanese are inherently racist against other Asian people, and are very resistant to sending programming jobs to India or China.

While Oracle, Cisco, Microsoft, etc. are all shipping jobs to India and China, - Panasonic, Sony, Toyotta, Fijitsu etc. are all shipping jobs to the U.S. The Japanese Execs also tend to thing long term, while US execs are notorious for thinking short term.

*Disclaimaer: I work for a Japanese company.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Detroit Muscle wrote:
    The Japanese are inherently racist against other Asian people

While I'm not disputing that people like that exist in Japan, maybe even a lot of people, but to say that they are "inherently racist" implies everyone is like that and that's most certainly not the case.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Yeah, I've been reading for the last week about how AOL was cutting 20% off of their work-force. You've been in my thoughts during that time, bro. Hopefully you find a great new job where you can apply your talents and passion for what you do.

Talk to you later, man.

Jonathan

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Sven Groot wrote:

Detroit Muscle wrote:
    The Japanese are inherently racist against other Asian people

While I'm not disputing that people like that exist in Japan, maybe even a lot of people, but to say that they are "inherently racist" implies everyone is like that and that's most certainly not the case.

"Inherently racist" is definitely not true, but they are all Inherently Ninja - proven fact! Big Smile

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Thanks everyone...

About and hour after posting my resume online I got a call from a recruiter for IBM, it's contract work but it'll scare away the Ramen noodles for a bit....

I'm thinking of taking some of the time and working on my own thing...maybe seeing if I can make some change and who knows maybe it'll work out.

As far as the Japanese, not oddly enough but Koreans hate the Japanese for trying to invade so many years ago....inherently no, but it's a very strong cultral belief. It doesn't matter the company you work for really, it matters the people you work with.

• User profile image
    amotif

I was laid off once. It was probably the best thing that could have happened to me at the time. I hope it turns out the same for you. Smiley

Do you need to stay until Dec. 14th to get the 4 months of severance? Just something to consider. If you do stay, make yourself uber-useful and get a feel for whether they might be able to bring you back in on contract at a cushy rate. Cool

• User profile image
    Minh

Detroit Muscle wrote:
    *Disclaimaer: I work for a Japanese company.
    That allows you to make such a stupid statement like that?

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Good luck my friend.  This Icehouse is for you. Big Smile

Cybermagellan wrote:
    Thanks everyone...

About and hour after posting my resume online I got a call from a recruiter for IBM, it's contract work but it'll scare away the Ramen noodles for a bit....

I'm thinking of taking some of the time and working on my own thing...maybe seeing if I can make some change and who knows maybe it'll work out.

As far as the Japanese, not oddly enough but Koreans hate the Japanese for trying to invade so many years ago....inherently no, but it's a very strong cultral belief. It doesn't matter the company you work for really, it matters the people you work with.

• User profile image
    Minh

rjdohnert wrote:
    Good luck my friend.  This Icehouse is for you.
    Aight... I'm heading to the frige & get me a Blue Moon. Cheers!

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

amotif wrote:
    I was laid off once. It was probably the best thing that could have happened to me at the time. I hope it turns out the same for you. 

Do you need to stay until Dec. 14th to get the 4 months of severance? Just something to consider. If you do stay, make yourself uber-useful and get a feel for whether they might be able to bring you back in on contract at a cushy rate.

Since we're "Lords of the Layoffs" ALOT of people have gotten laid off and been OK. Heck, some of the people who've been laid off from AOL still haven't gotten jobs a year or so later...they're home playing WoW or Counterstrike.

I watched a few of my old managers leave the building...they decided not to take the transitional setup...interesting enough that leave their old employees with no managers, haha.

I'm starting to do the math with my serverance, some bonuses we get, and some other income I'm due between now and then, and honestly I "think" I can float for a year or so if I have to....but I don't think I'll have to....nor will I want to.

• User profile image
    Rossj

Dude, that sucks, last time it happened to me I was physically sick - but look forwards not back and on to better and bigger things Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.