Coffeehouse Thread

38 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Cool video on virtualization

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    DigitalDud

http://www.acm.uiuc.edu/conference/2007/video/UIUC-ACM-RP07-Traut.wmv

Here's a pretty neat video of Microsoft's Eric Traut talking about virtualization, and a demo of a super stripped down version of Windows 7 (such that it is right now).  Apparently a goal is for Windows 7 to scale to 256 core machines.

• User profile image
    Dhamaal

Okay... So its finally getting "simpler" and hopefully easier. But miniWin takes up 40m RAM. Isnt that quite a lot if it doesnt even have a GUI since even Windows 3.1 and Windows 95 with a GUI would be able to run in 32mb and 64 mb respectively. And they really need to reconsider the naming convention of svchost. Too many of those run in Vista and I cannot tell which one corresponds to which service.

• User profile image
    cornelius

hmm i can already see "one will only ever need 256 cores" jokes poping up!

• User profile image
    stevo_

I'm waiting for another 10-15 years time when 'we' come out with 'oobervisor', and how we made a huge mistake with the hypervisor because we only abstracted once..

• User profile image
    PeterF

Nice Ascii art boot screen, may we have that one in Vista SP1? Smiley

• User profile image
    TimP

I was there. Smiley The MinWin stuff is really neat.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

cool video, if Channel9 videos where that technic... Sad

• User profile image
    littleguru

I'm watching right now. Smiley Great link. Thanks!

• User profile image
    keeron
  • User profile image
    littleguru

Ion Todirel wrote:
    cool video, if Channel9 videos where that technic...

Well this one is from an uni...

• User profile image
    littleguru
  • User profile image
    Charles

Ion Todirel wrote:
    cool video, if Channel9 videos where that technic...

We don't film presentations. Further, we don't make the assumption that our audience is composed primarily of CS graduate students. That said, we do provide some rather technical content from time to time...

Balance is important when the information is targeted at a general technical audience as opposed to a specific subset of domain experts...

Now, if you are asking for more techical content that approaches advanced academic levels, then, yes, we can, do and will provide this as well as our conversational meet-the-people-behind-the-scenes style.
    C

• User profile image
    esoteric

I could only download 10 MB of it, then the connection was cut. A friend of mine couldn't even open it. Any mirrors? ... Nevermind Free Download Manager did the trick nicely. Smiley

• User profile image
    kettch

creditcard wrote:
    Is there an overview or something of the planned features for Windows 7?

Forget that, when can we expect to see some bits on MSDN? Tongue Out

• User profile image
    PaoloM

creditcard wrote:
    Is there an overview or something of the planned features for Windows 7?

Not yet. We're working on that.

• User profile image
    intelman

I'm glad to see Microsoft focusing on performance. It should be Microsoft's goal to make Windows the most efficient and functional operating system. I think Microsoft is there with security now, it is now possible to run windows while not being an administrator...but I do not think they're there with performance yet. I need my fast boot times.

• User profile image
    RichardRudek

esoteric wrote:
    I could only download 10 MB of it, then the connection was cut. A friend of mine couldn't even open it. Any mirrors? ... Nevermind Free Download Manager did the trick nicely. Smiley

Yeah, I had that exact same problem, yesterday. Downloaded it again earlier today, and have now got the full 146MB of it:
    18-Oct-07  19:45        10,591,740 UIUC-ACM-RP07-Traut!.wmv
    19-Oct-07 10:46 150,099,855 UIUC-ACM-RP07-Traut.wmv

• User profile image
    TimP

intelman wrote:
    I need my fast boot times.

I'm not sure I see the fascination with boot speed. I turn my computer on when I wake up and turn it off when I go to bed. It's on for about 16 hours a day and it spends maybe 2-3 minutes tops booting. I'd rather see them work on enhancing performance around the parts that I spend the majority of the time using.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.