Coffeehouse Thread

10 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Is live finally coming together?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Massif

With the recent tweaks to maps.live.com, the apparant removal of the beta tag from home.live.com and the release of events.live.com is the microsoft's live strategy finally falling into place?

I can see it suddenly starting to look pretty useful... Assuming of course that everything plays nicely together, but I haven't had a chance to test that all out.

But if running an event in events.live.com adds it to the calendar of everyone involved, and sends reminders out via mail, or messenger, and all the things that look like they should work together actually do, I have only one question.

When are MS going to start shouting and screaming about the usefulness of all these services when used together?

Or is it all not quite done yet?

• User profile image
    TiAdiMundo

But what about the "old" start page live.com? It is still customizable with gadgets and imo looks much much better than the new one (home.live.com) which looks like an old Windows XP-Royal-themed website. The previous colour scheme was fresh, new and nice. And I hope that they will improve the performance. Most of the Live services are really slow.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

TiAdiMundo wrote:
    But what about the "old" start page live.com?

There's a link on home.live.com to the old start page, "Personalized page".

• User profile image
    Massif

TiAdiMundo wrote:
    But what about the "old" start page live.com? It is still customizable with gadgets and imo looks much much better than the new one (home.live.com) which looks like an old Windows XP-Royal-themed website. The previous colour scheme was fresh, new and nice. And I hope that they will improve the performance. Most of the Live services are really slow.

I used to agree with you, but the new start orb thingy (which, I'll grant you, could easily be ported back) makes home.live.com a much quicker way to access the services.

Although, what's with events.live.com giving you options to add to every calendar under the sun, except the live one? (and not just doing it by default.) Granted, it's nice to be able to add an event from an MS service to google's calendar, outlook or even yahoo... But I have a live calendar dammit!

Methinks I'll be sending a little beta feedback about that.

• User profile image
    eagle

Live Search Maps v2 is out! Gemini Launches.

I saw the demo at a party last night in San Francisco at the Web 2.0 Summit. cool stuff!

• User profile image
    Vasudev

Calendar.live.com is yet to start working.

At present the working  Calendar option is the earlier one which was in Hotmail.

What's the update on the Calendar.live.com ?

• User profile image
    TiAdiMundo

Massif wrote:

I used to agree with you, but the new start orb thingy (which, I'll grant you, could easily be ported back) makes home.live.com a much quicker way to access the services.

The old design also had that orb (even a bigger and better one) with icons of the services in that menu. Try it at live.com (it still works here in Europe).

• User profile image
    Massif

That's the old orb thingy, I actually prefer the new orb thingy. Which has more stuff on it.

• User profile image
    intelman

I tell you what, the live group puts some nice stuff out. I like live writer, and the Live Photo Gallery, especially now since it supports upload to Flickr, I honestly never thought that would happen.

• User profile image
    jamie

i havent tried flikr with live photo gallery (or whatever)
    but that sounded interesting.

why is live using yahoo stuff?  why is ms releasing facebook code?

yes nothing is bought... but maybe the yahoo/facebook/ms thing doesnt need to be a purchase

- back to LIVE...  all live needs is ONE great app.. really great....  the free (I need to watch my language) of the Live ecosystem... ...how about... Live Themes?

edit: re: "maybe the yahoo/facebook/ms thing doesnt need to be a purchase "

...although id hate to be yahoo or facebook in a few years if it was based on - "working together"

<folklore> where do we dance and where do we..

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.