Coffeehouse Thread

4 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Server-side language stats?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Harlequin

Anyone know of a site that keeps track of server language stats? Perl, PHP, Ruby, ASP, .NET, ColdFusion, etc etc

• User profile image
    W3bbo

define: "language stats"

If you want to log the HTTP Accept-Language header, you'll need to delve into IIS' Metabase and enable the logging of that header (it's not an option in the GUI, which is a shame). Then it'll appear in the IIS W3C Extended-format generated logfiles, but I'm not aware of any logfile software which handles arbitrary headers in logfiles (besides the one I'm writing right now Wink )

EDIT: Nevermind, I just realised you meant scripting language thingies... most readers (like WebLog Expert) will tell you what % of hits go to what types of file extensions.

But any webserver can remap file extensions to different modules/*sapis, so you'll need to trust the server.

• User profile image
    TimP

I think he's looking for popularity stats, i.e. x% of applications are PHP, y% are ASP.NET. Unfortunately I don't know of any such sites.

It would be tough to measure. Would you count duplicate applications (25,000 instances of phpBB for example) or unique applications only? I would almost recommend looking at the popularity numbers on Sourceforge, but those generally cater to OSS-favorites like C, PHP, Perl, Python, and Ruby.

• User profile image
    cornelius

Also headers can be faked or not send at all

i have 1 in 500 internet users (alexa reach of 0.2%) go thru my servers every day and i dont send any script language headers for security reasons

actually i send a IIS7 header for the laugh Wink so in netcraft it appears as my linux servers are using IIS7! lol

but yea php 5.2.4 on lighttpd and nginx here being used

apache sucks

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.