Coffeehouse Thread

12 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Valve doesn't want my money

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

Intrigued by all the stories I've heard about Portal, I decided to try it. So I install Steam, set up an account, so far so good. Then I elect to purchase Portal, and fill in my payment details.

I have to fill in the billing address for the credit card, which is billed to my parents' address in the Netherlands. There's a handy checkbox "I live in the country I specified above". I don't check it, becuase in fact I don't, I live in Japan.

At which point Steam informs me that it won't do business with me unless I live in the country of my billing address.

Why!? I've never encountered anybody else who had a problem with this before. E.g. Amazon doesn't have a problem that my shipping address and billing address are in different countries.

So I guess playing Portal is out. Too bad. Sad

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Sven Groot wrote:
    So I guess playing Portal is out. Too bad.

Put down the Dutch address on your card, Valve never sends postal mail out.... except when you order stuff from the store which says it'll ship it someplace, and even then you can change your delivery address.

No-one at Valve cares, seriously Smiley

And Portal for the win. Get the whole Orange Box, 'cause HL2 is worth it anywya.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Don't forget to inform your parents because the transaction could be seen as fraud (you're sending it from a japanese ip-adress).

• User profile image
    W3bbo

ZippyV wrote:
    Don't forget to inform your parents because the transaction could be seen as fraud (you're sending it from a japanese ip-adress).

RDP back into home then Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

W3bbo wrote:

ZippyV wrote:

RDP back into home then

That'd be a bit counterproductive since I'd have to install Steam over there, which wouldn't help me here and my dad probably wouldn't like either.

I suppose I could try doing it using a VPN connection to my old Dutch university, but that's incredibly slow from here.

But the fact remains that I would be lying, and since I'm sort of not actually entitled to this credit card (since I don't have a regular income on the bank account that it's associated with, which is one of the requirements) I'd rather not do anything that could potentially draw attention.

For those interested, this week's Zero Punctuation was one of the deciding factors that made me want to buy it; if he can't find anything bad to say about it, it must be great. Smiley (And on a sidenote, the "Half-Life 2 Episode 2 Manchester United 0" bit was so completely out of the left field that it made me literally laugh out loud, which is something I very rarely do Big Smile )

• User profile image
    the-​laughing-man

Sounds similar to Apple and the whole iTunes localised content fight, music is much cheaper in Europe but we aren't allowed to purhcase any music from the European stores because it only allows you to buy music from the same country as your card is linked to.

Although I honestly don't know why Valve would do the same :\

• User profile image
    Bas

Interestingly, before buying the orange box, I hadn't used Steam since Episode 1, and then only to buy and run the game.

When I went to work with it again a couple of days ago, I was amazed at the updates, and how well it all works. The digital delivery system itself is great (especially how you can preload a game and then activate it on the day of release so you don't have to grab it off a crowded download server), the per-user licensing and everything, but the whole community thing itself, with the achievements and what not, is pretty great. I'd say near XBox Live-like quality.

It struck me that Steam is everything Games for Windows - Live should have been (and with a less awkward name). Then it struck me that the Vista Game Explorer, which right now is pretty much useless when you don't need parental controls, would have been a great built-in Steam-like client. Had it worked like that, Vista would suddenly have become much more like the awesome gaming platform that Microsoft claims it to be.

• User profile image
    the-​laughing-man

I have to say my fav part of steam is when I reformat, no need to mess about installing games and telling 20 different CDs that I don't want Direct X 9 etc

I just set them all downloading, go to bed and by the time I get home the next day I'm ready to play Big Smile That and although I am yet to use it I love the pre-order system, you know you get the game and you know exactly when you can be playing it!

Best of all though it's a great way to lock up games without jamming masses of DRM on our PC!

• User profile image
    Minh

You should go for the Xbox version, Sven. Which will be coming out on the 22nd. At least the Xbox version will have a resell value. And that you can pick an Xbox up in Japan for... what... $5? Smiley

• User profile image
    Bas

Not sure how well expansions/mods will work on the Xbox version, though.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Minh wrote:
    You should go for the Xbox version, Sven. Which will be coming out on the 22nd. At least the Xbox version will have a resell value. And that you can pick an Xbox up in Japan for... what... $5?

Nice idea except I don't want an XBox just for one game. Plus I don't have a TV.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

the-laughing-man wrote:

Sounds similar to Apple and the whole iTunes localised content fight, music is much cheaper in Europe but we aren't allowed to purhcase any music from the European stores because it only allows you to buy music from the same country as your card is linked to.

Altough I honestly don't know why Valve would do the same :\

Valve doesn't, all their prices are in USD. Which is good, it means everyone, all over the world, pays the same price.

Valve seems to be doing digital distribution "right":

• License is per-user, not per-machine. Transfer your games to as many machines as you want with no penalty or "activation" process
    • Promise to release the games if Steam or Valve ever goes under
    • Same price in one currency for everyone
    • Loads of rare titles at reasonable prices
    • Knowing that there isn't much of a Middleman and that game developers get a big a huge cut of the fees paid (esp. Introversion)
    Compare with EA....

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.