Coffeehouse Thread

68 posts

Is Vista a modern ME?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    ScanIAm

Admittedly, I never used ME, instead I spent a lot of time on NT and then 2000.  It took me a few years to even install XP, and by then, it pretty much owned the market. 

But, ME was kind of the end of the line for the 95 code line.  MSFT got the major hardware manufacturers to install it on newly purchased PCs and so it was part of the landscape.  And this had as much to do with the OEM bundling as it did with games compatibility (and other software compatibility).

But, ME was the end of the line and there were some decisions made that caused it to be viewed pretty negatively.  In fact, people who already had 98/98SE really had no reason to upgrade to ME because it didn't offer enough "new, New, NEW!!!!!" features.

It seems that with Vista, this might be playing out to the same conclusion.  It does have some eye-candy, but many of the posters on this very forum have admitted that they switch all that aero crap off as soon as they install.  I did the same with XP since I just prefer the cleaner and simpler desktop from the 2000 days. 

So, I'll give MSFT that Vista is a wonderful new product, but other that gaining users from OEM purchases, what are the numbers like for actual outright purchases?  And, is there really any reason to update if you already have XP working?

• User profile image
    TimP

Interesting point. I'll be honest, I was expecting the "Vista is bad because I don't like it" spiel seeing the title, but I agree that I think Vista is sort of an "end of an era" operating system.

It's still too early to really tell if XP to Vista is like 98 to ME or 2000 to XP. By the time of XP SP2, the vocal Windows 2000 user base was pretty much down to the activation-paranoid users and pirates who couldn't get a working cracked version of XP. In other words, XP had nearly complete submission from end users.

ME on the other hand was, as you noted, more of a force fed OEM upgrade path with little end user excitement. It's hard to compare the differences because ME really had no time to get a foot hold, XP came out just about a year later. On the contrary, I would bet that nothing's coming out of Redmond for at least two years (which would be nearly three years after Vista).

I see the trend going towards modular systems like Windows Server 2008 core and the trend of adding more and more standard features (2000->XP->Vista) being largely over.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

I used ME and I remember it for it's bsod's, multiple times a day. With Windows 98 (first edition) my pc crashed about once a week.

• User profile image
    littleguru

I wouldn't compare Vista with Me. There are some issues: right! But not all are Microsoft related. Look my Geforce 6800 has still no really wokring drivers. I get from time to time a graphic driver crash. But imagine what: it doesn't crash Windows at all, like in all previous versions. It just recovers and works on... Me was terrible: even the kill application window was out of shape. You got a bluescreen for everything. Vista is actually the contrary. You never get one.

But as said there are some issues. Mostly printers, graphic cards and sound card issues. Some bugs. But nothing that can be fixed.

Why is Vista an end of an era? What's coming to replace it? Linux, Unix, Solaris, OSX, BeOS, ...?

• User profile image
    Charles

In a word: No.

C

• User profile image
    Johnny​Awesome

I do not think that 9ers are really the best people to ask about OS upgrades though. We invest so much time preparing our environments to operate as work tools, that once we are happy it's tough to make us move. Technically inclined people are by nature not very rash or impulsive, so we don't scrap our beloved environment because we're supposed to.

I had to be dragged kicking and screaming from 2000P. I loved that OS on a near unhealthy level, but I came to really love XP. Most users will switch for some slick new feature which may entirely be presentational in nature and contain no new added functionality.

After my parents purchased a set of new laptops which of course came with Vista pre-installed they called me telling me I needed to switch.

"You should see how everything looks!"

I did eventually upgrade one of my development laptops {not because of how stuff looked though Smiley}. I am, with some level of embarassment at least, one of those people who reverted back to XP.

It was a simple equation:

# of improvements < # of issues

• User profile image
    Johnny​Awesome

Oh and Vista could be the end of an era if Apple (though they never would for a multitude of reasons) started licensing their OS to other manufactures.

What if Dell had a Leopard offering?

Vista wins right now by default at the OEM level simply because of that fact. An old roomate emailed me the other day asking me "whats an ubuntu?". She had evidently been shopping online for a new computer.

• User profile image
    Rossj

Charles wrote:

C

Good answer, or are you implying that Windows 7 is Vista++? I sincerely hope that it isn't.

• User profile image
    Sabot

Extended support for Windows XP Pro end in April 2014 (source) many businesses, like my own, have taken the decision to not invest time and effort migrating to the new Vista platform because the business case is perceived to not be strong enough.  Instead will wait for the successor to Vista because of PC upgrade cycles more of an Enterprises machine real-estate will be in better shape to handle the new operating systems where many will not currently without some large investment which is difficult to justify in terms of cost and effort.

Vista is nothing more than Microsoft showing it's hand of where it will take future desktop operating systems allowing IT strategist the information they need to prepare for the future even if it is not the target platform.

Vista is a stake in the ground saying that Microsoft is still capable of producing the best OS even if it's not here yet that very aim is to throw attention away from Linux which is the real threat which has showed to continually show innovation in small but frequent increments which is a very powerful way to move an OS forward and has some very powerful backers, such as IBM who are Microsoft largest competitor and who are marshaling their pieces to thwart Microsoft at every turn by taking their markets apart small piece by small piece.

Some would say what about OSX? Well for business this is just a distraction, the Mac is still not thought of as a business work-horse platform. It is a strong contender but you won't see it in a finance dept or call-centre as the main stay anytime soon.

Microsofts way out is to innovate harder and faster than their competitors and get that out asap to the punters which takes a great deal of energy, some would argue that they don't have enough of. The way out is to form strategic alliance with other innovators and shift the burden of effort off the shoulder of Microsoft but does like to be the lord of it's own destiny so will pick and chose it's bed-fellows for it's own greater gain.

The plan will be to watch the market and purchase small innovator companies but IMHO this not sustainable as innovation is mysterious and fickle friend to find.

To my mind I think that Microsoft should go with the tide and not against it and work with the competition as the market percentages are so huge there is infact room for all and you don't have to lead the pack in all of them. Sometime the basics such as, it does the job and it's the cheapest is more than good enough.

But saying all this Microsoft continues to surprise so I wouldn't like to bet against them.

• User profile image
    Chadk

Rossj wrote:

Charles wrote:

C

Good answer, or are you implying that Windows 7 is Vista++? I sincerely hope that it isn't.
    '
    Vista was build, as far as i recall, with it in mind, that the release cycle should shortens down, and that its easy to rip out pieces and replace them.

No doubt we will see windows 7 being vista which have a few things chaned, yet i guess we can see major changes.   

• User profile image
    TimP

littleguru wrote:
    Why is Vista an end of an era? What's coming to replace it? Linux, Unix, Solaris, OSX, BeOS, ...?

Operating systems that decrease in base size instead of increase in size (WS2008 Core). No one said Windows is coming to an end, but you're delusional if you think the Vista and the NT kernel are the epitome of computing. Like the transition from 9x to NT, NT itself will be replaced at some point, too. The whole point that a lot of people seem to be missing is the question: Is Vista the capstone of Windows (1999-2007), similar to the way ME was the capstone of Windows 9x (1995-1999)? Is it time for another shift?

• User profile image
    die-Sel

in my opinion - yes

XP was a well working O/S after SP2. Stable as hell for me and my team at work.  All i see in Vista is eye candy

I still development just the same, it doesnt increase my productivity any more than XP.

I want a simple, fast clean UI and eveything smooth as silk.

• User profile image
    magicalclick

I don't know why, but I have a feeling that Window Vista is just a pre-release of Windows Viena. They have all the fundations set up, the new driver model, .Net 3.0, DX10, and Backup Utility.

But yet, all the applications comes with Vista are also available to XP. Like WinXP WMP11, Win95 Paint, Win95 Calculator, WinXP Spyware protection, WinXP IE7, WinXP Movie Maker. And the better mail client and messenger are also XP compatible, Live Messenger and Live Mail Desktop Beta.

And the same multi-language suport (like games) that requires to reboot, unless you go to some hidden joint of MS and bribe them for a link make it work. Actually I don't even know if that thing works with Vista or not.

I bought Vista Ultimate OEM with no regret because I need the PC backup utility. But Vista is indeed feeling the same as XP.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    dentaku

People are definitely over-reacting and Vista is obviously not another ME.

My Vista system just works fine but I see how people can feel that there's not a whole lot that seems different from XP but those little things make it nicer. When I use an XP machine now it just feels old fashioned somehow.

If Live Photo Gallery is an indication of how quickly new and useful features will be coming out for Vista (as opposed to those underwhelming Ultimate add-ons) I can see people eventually forgetting about all the fear some people have of Vista, even those who can't seem to make up their own minds whether or not Vista is worth installing or are believing the incredible amount of FUD going around.

I hope Vista IS the end of an era, like ME, and something completely new comes out next time but as it is Vista is a perfectly usable modern OS that I can see myself using for as long as I own the computer I built this Spring.

• User profile image
    prndll

It's hard to hear anyone say that they will use any particular os for as long as they own the computer it's on. With the way things are, it's more likely that when MS comes up with something that supercedes Vista, that will be used. It's the same old story with every os. I'm not sure I completely understand it, but that's what people do. To be honest, 98se still works perfectly fine under certain conditions. The biggest problems with 98se were related to hardware and user ignorance. You use the right hardware and there is no problems. When 98se came on the scene, the hardware sucked. So 98se sucked.

Interestingly enough, Vista is more like 98se and has many of the same problems at this point. Alot of people likely 98se when it came out. ME just plain sucked. I personally can't see the comparison to ME.

• User profile image
    Cyonix

I used ME. Vista is nothing like ME

• User profile image
    dentaku

prndll wrote:
    It's hard to hear anyone say that they will use any particular os for as long as they own the computer it's on. With the way things are, it's more likely that when MS comes up with something that supercedes Vista, that will be used.

By that time I'll almost certainly be building a new computer again, not just because of the new OS but because I will be wanting a new video card and new CPU and that will need a new motherboard and new ram so it will just be easier to built a completely new machine.
    I doubt MS will be releasing new versions of Windows faster than I upgrade machines but I can see them moving faster than they have in the past.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

As some of you guys may have vaguely suspected, I'm working on the successor to Vista.

I cannot tell you what the plans are (and trust me, I'd sooo like to Smiley) but you are all -in part- right. Vista is the end of something, but it is also the beginning of something else.

Uhm, let's hope this won't get me in trouble Smiley

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.