Coffeehouse Thread

13 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

On Intelligence

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    raymond

Charles could you interview Jeff Hawkins author of On Intelligence on Channel 9:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Hawkins

"On Intelligence will have a big impact; everyone should read it. In the same way that Erwin Schrodinger's 1943 classic What is Life? made how molecules store genetic information then the big problem for biology, On Intelligence lays out the framework for understanding the brain."
    - James D. Watson, president, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, and Nobel laureate in physiology

"Jeff Hawkins has written an original, thought-provoking and, with the help of Sandra Blakeslee, remarkably readable book that presents a new theory of the functions of the cerebral cortex in perception, cognition, action and intelligence. What is distinctive about his theory is the original way existing ideas about the cerebral cortex and its architecture have been combined and elaborated based on an extensive knowledge of how the brain works - what Hawkins calls Real Intelligence in contrast to computer-based Artificial Intelligence. As a result, this book is a must-read for everyone who is curious about the brain and wonders how it works. Many sections of this book, especially those on intelligence, creativity and minds of silicon, are so thoughtful and original that they are likely to be required reading for college undergraduates for years to come."
    - Eric R. Kandel, professor, Columbia University, senior investigator, Howard Hughs Medical Institute, and 2000 Nobel Laureate in medicine

http://www.onintelligence.org/

http://www.onintelligence.org/reviews.php

Jeff Hawkins: Brain science is about to fundamentally chang

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6CVj5IQkzk

Great series of interviews from JAOO.

Enjoyed them all. Smiley

Your on a roll!

Thanks again.

Cool

• User profile image
    blowdart

raymond wrote:

Charles could you interview Jeff Hawkins author of On Intelligence on Channel 9:

And he's an MS employee how? Has the idea of C9 past you by completely? We know you don't actually read here, just post your idiotic diatribes and say you're open minding.

• User profile image
    raymond

blowdart wrote:

raymond wrote:

And he's an MS employee how? Has the idea of C9 past you by completely? We know you don't actually read here, just post your idiotic diatribes and say you're open minding.

Pick up the telephone and ask him.

E-mail him and ask.

Do you suffer from Asperger syndrome or AS? Wink

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome

Cool

• User profile image
    Chadk

raymond wrote:

blowdart wrote:

raymond wrote:

Pick up the telephone and ask him.

E-mail him and ask.

Do you suffer from Asperger syndrome or AS?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome

What are you trying to point out with refering to AS?

• User profile image
    ZippyV

He does whatever he thinks necessary to defend his useless posts.

• User profile image
    JChung2006

I thought people stopped believing in Artificial Intelligence in the 80's.  Apparently not.

AI!  A classic case of "overpromise, underdeliver" that plagues our industry.

• User profile image
    esoteric

JChung2006 wrote:

Who cares who made what promises, it's still an exciting field.

BTW that book looks interesting Raymond. Hereby bookmarked.

• User profile image
    Dodo

even if I like artificial intelligence...
    not again, meh... Embarassed

• User profile image
    Chadk

This page is falling off the frontpage. And raymond havent answered my question.

So up we go. This could be an interesting discussion.

• User profile image
    blowdart

Chadk wrote:

This page is falling off the frontpage. And raymond havent answered my question.

Oh god, let it die. It's not like Raymond does anything more than cut and paste.

• User profile image
    Chadk

blowdart wrote:

Chadk wrote:

Oh god, let it die. It's not like Raymond does anything more than cut and paste.

No. I wanna know what raymond tried to say with that asperger reference.
    Using it in the way i see him doing it, is wrong. Neurodiversity isnt something isnt something fun or anything.

• User profile image
    prndll

AI is certainly interesting and has plenty of potnetial. It is definately an exciting aspect of the IT industry. I do question it's perception of over promise and under delivery. The entire IT industry is only doing this if the end user doesn't have a clear understanding of what they are dealing with. Computers are only as good as those that program them. So often (like anything else in life), it's all in the way it's done. The questions are: What does a user expect when they turn on their computer? What is this computer realy capable of? What does a user need to do to get their computer to do what they want it to? How do I need to program this computer to make it do what the user wants it to (from a programming aspect)?

All too often, the expectations are simply unrealistic. The only way for a user to know the differance between what's right and what's wrong is for that user to "understand" their own computer.

• User profile image
    nightski

JChung2006 wrote:
    I thought people stopped believing in Artificial Intelligence in the 80's.  Apparently not.

Sorry, this is BS.  Sure there aren't robots with the intelligence of humans running around.

However, algorithms from fields within the AI umbrella like machine learning affect your life *every day*.  In fact, our economy relies on these algorithms to the point where they know more about it than we do.  There are many examples of real applications where these technologies are implemented today.

Just because you don't see the progress going on or haven't taken the time to look doesn't mean you should dismiss it as a "plague."

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.