Coffeehouse Thread

24 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Anyone here bought Community Server?..

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    irascian

... if so. How the **** do you purchase an upgrade?

Tried Telligent's online "email me upgrade price" option. Twice. Not a thing.

Tried their "Contact us" form and asked why they weren't replying and could I please have a quote (I paid for free upgrades for a year but the year expired before I got around to downloading the 2007 release).

One week later still no reply (and yes, I've checked my junk mail folder).

What a way to run a business.

Time to just get on and write my own stuff I guess!

• User profile image
    jledgard

blowdart wrote:

Yea, but first rip the from his account!

I'm working on it.  I just pinged the C9 guys. I just noticed I show up with the blue badge as well. Smiley  Although I am on campus a lot still.

• User profile image
    jledgard

PaoloM wrote:

Once a softie, always a softie!

True enough.

PaoloM wrote:

Besides, his wife was very instrumental to bringing me here

And she works there again now. Smiley

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Tried their phone number?

• User profile image
    irascian

Since I've already got to pay international phone rate to call "toll free" (but only from the USA) Microsoft to find out why the 15% certification voucher they sold me as part of their training kit can't be used because "it's already been used" I'm blowed if I'm going to waste more money on international phone calls to Telligent so they can sell me something, just because they can't be bothered to reply to emails sent or to get their web site to work correctly.

(Yeah, I've got Skype - but I'm sick to death of broken phone calls and frustrating drop-outs).

If a company can't even get the basics of customer contact right it doesn't deserve my business.

They've got forums so I could post there but you know what? If a company makes me jump through hoops just to get an upgrade they don't deserve the money.

Bottom line: I'm rewriting my site so I can get rid of Community Server. I was only using the blogging functionality anyway so I'll just use one of the free blogging services for that part of my site. Part of the reason I needed to upgrade is that the software is suddenly throwing meaningless "unexpected error occurred" when I try and make a new blog post over a certain length, with nothing in their dashboard/event log to give any kind of clue as to what the real error is. I'll save my money on the upgrade to buy something that is more reliable and works.

• User profile image
    eagle

Their having their first ever Community Server conference this week, Rob and Scott are very accessible most of the time.

Their forums are a very good way of getting things done, remember too that this is an early version of their forums we are using here on C9.  So ask you questions here.....

• User profile image
    blowdart

A couple of years back we tried to purchase a license for work. The credit card authorisation failed every time; it turns out they couldn't accept UK cards and addresses.

So I emailed sales. And waited. And waited. And waited.

After a couple of weeks I posted on the forums. And waited. And waited.

A week after that I had a response; they gave me a temporary license file, and promised to work with purchasing to process the credit card.

They never did.

And so when the new version came out and I wanted to upgrade there was much confusion, as I had a license key that was never actually "sold".

It got sorted eventually, but of course it counted as a new purchase and thus we were hit with the new licensing model, which limited the number of blogs on the server.

And their tech support isn't that good. I have a bunch of outstanding questions that are over a year old. I've given up; mostly because the people that used the server the most have resigned anyway.

• User profile image
    Klaus Enevoldsen

irascian wrote:
    ... if so. How the **** do you purchase an upgrade?

Tried Telligent's online "email me upgrade price" option. Twice. Not a thing.

Tried their "Contact us" form and asked why they weren't replying and could I please have a quote (I paid for free upgrades for a year but the year expired before I got around to downloading the 2007 release).

One week later still no reply (and yes, I've checked my junk mail folder).

What a way to run a business.

Time to just get on and write my own stuff I guess!

Try to contact "Josh Ledgard" he works for Telligent now: http://ledgards.com/blogs/josh/default.aspx

Good luck

• User profile image
    mawcc

I'm currently evaluating it. Might think again whether to actually buy it.

• User profile image
    HayleyT

Hi,

I am the Product Sales Manager at Telligent and am sorry to hear that anyone had a problem getting in touch with our sales team.  I would like to help you in any way I can moving forward.  If you select the email option on this post, I will be emailed directly or call my at (214)420-1353 and I would be glad to assist you and obtain feedback on the sales process.

We appreciate your business and would like to continue working with you in the future.

Thanks
    Hayley

• User profile image
    W3bbo

HayleyT wrote:
     If you select the email option on this post

At the time of writing, there is no Email link on your profile page or forum posts.

• User profile image
    HayleyT

My email address is hthurman (at) telligent (dot) com.  I will also update my profile. 

• User profile image
    W3bbo

irascian wrote:
    For me, life's too short and Community Server's code base too vast for me to want to invest the time needed to sort things out when all I really wanted was to quickly host my own blog.

TBH, I'm surprised CS has many customers to begin with.

I can see most people use it for either the blogs or the forums, I can't see many situations where you'd want both. The "Community" ideal it sets is a standard hardly anyone meets.

I'd like to see CS simplify and apply some reductionism, rather than a monolithic application, I want to see them split up into discrete apps, but sharing a common aesthetic and software design sense.

• User profile image
    jledgard

Hi All,
    Yes, I do now work at Telligent Systems.  Smiley The feedback here has been heard (By Rob and Scott as well) and I understand your frustrations.  I'm currently looking into what happened to the issues posted to the contact/upgrade form. 

In the meantime I'll also add some information here.

1. My contact mail at Telligent is jledgard (at) telligent (dot) com.  Don't hesitate to contact me with your questions/concerns/feedback.
    2. We totally get the feedback about simplification of Community Server for simple CMS users.

While there will always be a need for large communities that cover forums, blogs, content galleries, etc we get that this is overkill for a lot of folks.  Because of this we're working on a new solution for people with simpler needs.

Check out the following information on Graffiti, a new blog/CMS tool being developed at Telligent.  We'd love to get your feedback.

FAQ - http://simpable.com/software/graffiti-cms-faq/
    Intro Video - http://telligent.com/blog/archive/sneaking-a-glimpse-of-graffiti.aspx

Thanks,
    Josh

• User profile image
    blowdart

jledgard wrote:
    Hi All,
    Yes, I do now work at Telligent Systems.  Smiley The feedback here has been heard (By Rob and Scott as well)

I ended up having Scott respond to my technical queries. I never did get them resolved mind you *shrug*

• User profile image
    PaoloM

That Graffiti CMS looks seriously interesting Smiley

I may dump Wordpress for something like that...

• User profile image
    blowdart

PaoloM wrote:
    That Graffiti CMS looks seriously interesting

I may dump Wordpress for something like that...

Yea, but first rip the from his account!

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Once a softie, always a softie!

Besides, his wife was very instrumental to bringing me here Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.