Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

What is Expression Web?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    phreaks

What is the point of Expression Web?

From the looks of it, all you can do is create one off pages, using an IDE that doesn't seem to offer any more features than Visual Studio.

I don't get it. Perplexed

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

phreaks wrote:

From the looks of it, all you can do is create one off pages, using an IDE that doesn't seem to offer any more features than Visual Studio.

I don't get it.

It's essentially Frontpage, except slightly less crappy.

• User profile image
    phreaks

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:

phreaks wrote:

I don't get it.

It's essentially Frontpage, except slightly less crappy.

AT least with FrontPage you had the ability to connect to IIS and create sites or webs.

Expression Web (as far as I can find) only lets you create a single page at a time and has no IIS support.

• User profile image
    irascian

phreaks wrote:

I don't get it.

It offers quite a lot of additional features over the currently available (at retail) Visual Studio eg split design/HTML view, far superior CSS support. Most of this will find its way into Visual Studio 2008 but Expession Web is a product you have been able to buy in stores for several months now. VS 2008 isn't.

For the web developer/designer who doesn't want the complexity of Visual Studio's IDE and has no real need for complex server-side logic Expression Web is a great IDE (and a better one than Visual Studio) for developing static web sites. The "split view" is a great way of getting newbies to learn and better understand HTML (they can tweak the design view and/or the HTML view and see the effects in real time as they type).

Jamie will probably be along in a minute to say how bad a product it is Wink but I think it's a great product for its intended audience, and far superior to the God-awful F***page that it replaces.

• User profile image
    TrainingTime

My understanding is that Expression Web is a tool for web designers to be able to work with the styles and layout of a page without a tool set specific for the task at hand. It doesn't include tools for maintaining a whole project because it's intended to produce just a layout (or individual web pages).

Having said that I never got it to work on my machine when I tried to install it (That was the beta though and I haven't tried since). So my understanding may be flawed.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.