Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Vista 64 bit slowness ?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    androidi

Does the 64 bit Vista explorer get slower/start trashing disk on every action for you after say couple days of use?. I suppose it's only my system otherwise there'd be some fuss about it... (explorer exe 19 million page faults...)

• User profile image
    dahat

How much ram do you have?

• User profile image
    androidi

2 GB, it's not like going from 32 to 64 should double the memory usage except for pointers right?

It's probably some software that has installed something that doesn't free memory or whatever. I'm moving back to 32 bit for now as there were couple other issues as well.

• User profile image
    Matthias

Well, with WOW aren't you really running 32-bit code inside a wrapper for 64-bit execution?

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

androidi wrote:
    2 GB, it's not like going from 32 to 64 should double the memory usage except for pointers right?

No, but don't forget that you're most likely running both 32 bit and 64 bit apps at the same time. That means that you've got both 32 and 64 bit versions of a lot of Windows DLLs in memory at the same time.

It may not double memory usage, but it does increase it significantly. There are other factors too, such as the increased pointer size which you mentioned, and the fact that stack alignment on x64 is 16 bytes instead of 4 bytes on x86, but the double DLL thing is by far the most memory-consuming.

Still, I have a system with 2GB RAM and am using x64 on it comfortably. I've seen symptoms like you describe only when certain applications run away with the file cache (most notably Azureus) and the impact of that is a lot less now that I have the SP1 beta. And this file cache issue exists on x86 too, it's not exclusive to x64. It also existed prior to Vista.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.