Coffeehouse Thread

12 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Should an OS be involved in this ...stuff?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/07/10/21/063200.shtml

"Unsatisfied with the proprietary copyright filter Google recently unveiled, Viacom CEO Philippe Dauman has called for an industry standard to filter copyrighted material. Mr. Dauman has the backing of Microsoft, Disney, and Universal."

So if Windows - becomes this default standard... would you still use it?

I would want any file using this standard to let me know before downloading / buying it.  Maybe a big red label - Warning - contaminated material: Use at own risk

*Im splitting the cost of Jaguar(edit - leopard) with my business partner - so when i get the powerbook it will have the newest on it.  Maybe apple is worse when it comes to DRM ..  cant wait to find out.. frankly ive had enough of steveb's games propping up old media business plans at the expence of the consumer.

but steveJ probably is no better.

maybe - just NO MORE steves !

Edit:  If all goes as planned - i should get jaguar and vista (from jeff...) at aprox the same time.

I plan to load vista on main 3 monitor machine and try both out (jaguar on the powerbook)

I have used Windows since 3.1.  I have tried macs over the years...and not liked them.  I am a designer that seems to have more in common with programmers than other designers.. so it should be interesting if the timing works out.

• User profile image
    Jason Cox

Just because Microsoft supports it doesnt mean your Windows box will start scanning your files for copyrighted matireal. Microsoft supports alot of things and not all are parts of Windows. For example Microsoft officially supports HD-DVD but that doesnt mean BluRay is locked out of Windows.

Even if this somehow did manage to make its way into the OS, I dont see how it would be effective unless Microsoft's lawyers to developers ratio was 100:1 and the company changes from a software company to being the Cloud Police (or Series-of-Tubes Police, whichever you prefer). That aside, technologically its pretty hard to distingush what on my local FS is legal and what isnt (not that I've ever pirated any movies or music...) because by law I can make backups of everything I have and its hard to distingush something a user downloads from BitTorrent from some video they made at their kids birthday party, its not like every video you grab off the Torrent networks comes with a meta description "THIS VIDEO IS PIRATED! CALL THE MPAA!"

My $0.02

• User profile image
    jamie

i know... but its more about perception sometimes?

when i hear ms is on board with this - i picture steveb rubbing his hands together over the thought of recurring revenue (shudder)

so you can just SEE he loves this idea.  is it in the name of capitalism or whatever i dont know.  But it seems he would never say... hmm - maybe we should not be a party to this... maybe it will make us look bad and one sided.

im sure that never even crossed his mind - or what he has of one..

(sorry .. i like steve - Executive in charge of Corporate Sales... i just dont like Steve - in charge of everything steve..  (yes both steves!)

anyway - should be fun. im going to film the installs..  and time XP apps/boot before vista etc...  at least it will be different than more c9guys singing - copywrited material!

• User profile image
    Minh

I think w/ the big boys suddenly selling non-DRM MP3s, it's much ado about nothing.

• User profile image
    longzheng

The industry they are talking about here is online video sharing (ex. YouTube). So an industry-wide copyright filter is specifically targetted at sharing copyrighted videos such as TV shows and the like.

Under my assumption, Microsoft's backing is only as far as implementing a copyright-filter on MSN Soapbox (which they already have), not Windows.

You're becoming very paranoid Jamie Tongue Out

• User profile image
    jamie

who said that!  <looks right...left> Wink

• User profile image
    blowdart

jamie wrote:
    i know... but its more about perception sometimes?when i hear ms is on board with this - i picture steveb rubbing his hands together over the thought of recurring revenue (shudder)
    When I read it I thought they were referring to Soap Box.Anyway, frankly it's impossible. How are they going to do it? Checking summing? Frame comparisons? Every encoding is different. A pixel here or there and the comparison fails. It's just like the child (I need to watch my language) filter in the UK; it works off checksums on images; but all you need to do is edit a single pixel and it will fail.

• User profile image
    Ray6

jamie wrote:

"Unsatisfied with the proprietary copyright filter Google recently unveiled, Viacom CEO Philippe Dauman has called for an industry standard to filter copyrighted material. Mr. Dauman has the backing of Microsoft, Disney, and Universal."

Mmmm ....

jamie wrote:

but steveJ probably is no better.

A very real possibility

• User profile image
    Bas

Where does it mention Windows?

• User profile image
    jamie

ray6>

interesting.. i forgot stevej is disney now..

double hmm

• User profile image
    Sabot

blowdart wrote:

jamie wrote:
    i know... but its more about perception sometimes?when i hear ms is on board with this - i picture steveb rubbing his hands together over the thought of recurring revenue (shudder)
    When I read it I thought they were referring to Soap Box.Anyway, frankly it's impossible. How are they going to do it? Checking summing? Frame comparisons? Every encoding is different. A pixel here or there and the comparison fails. It's just like the child (I need to watch my language) filter in the UK; it works off checksums on images; but all you need to do is edit a single pixel and it will fail.

Bazza it's abit more complex than that!

Afew years back I was lucky enough to visit a media company that scanned adverts from TV channels all over the world for various different reasons from compiling reports on competitors advert pentrations to insuring TV companies full-fill slot commitments.

How they did it was creating a set of patterns from a section of frames, were a frame is wildly different from another, in an advert based on prominent parts of a picture achieved by distinct changes in colour. That pattern is matched against recordings using a series of fuzzy logic techniques to get a close match.

Now this all worked pretty quickly ... and this was all 6 years ago!

Speaking to them today they have got this pattern matching down to a fine out where they can now determine an individuals face, building car, even popular location! The algorithm apparently is no secret either and was published in a 'New Scientist' article some time back on how this formula is used with the London Congestion Charge.

• User profile image
    prndll

It's less about Windows and more about the way Windows Media Player is programmed. WMP already has (and has had) the ability to report to websites. This doesn't seem to be all that far fetched or paranoid.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.