Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

ie8 request - ftp that works..

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

yes it's the ol' FTP request again.. from numerous threads and numerous ie promises (it will be in 5 .. no 6.. no 7...)

PLEASE PLEASE fix ftp in windows. (*not a download manager - just working ftp)

I know it is not to your advantage ( you want to make it hard to upload so storage stays local - unless it's your live folders... bla bla)

I am so ....so...so...tired of it

to begin with it was a great implimentation - just like explorer windows (web later removed [n] ) but you just type:

ftp://folder.domain.com:password@domain.com  and it worked. 

I can no longer drag shortcuts to desktop to these links anymore but the most annoying thing is it has never really worked.. and is getting worse.

im sitting currently trying to upload 100 megs of jpgs to a folder.  The folder is on a unix/linux webserver (not sure that has anything to do with it but its worth a mention)

everytime i  drag the folder in - it times out. (so i go 20 pics at a time (times out) - bombs shell.. so i go 10 at a time... same.. then 5 at a time (in a folder with 1000's of images...)

why?

if i tell windows this folder at this address - and then drag in a folder - would you not think windows might realise - oh - you want all this stuff in this folder to upload?  there should be Keep Alives built in every 2 seconds or something - and resume - hey i dont even care about resume (well i do) but not when simple uploading/downloading multiple files does not work.

in my ftp apps - i have ftp explorer and then just windows.  i had cute ftp - but it was complicatied although it did usually accompish the un-accomplishable: it uploaded stuff.

ftp explorer is a defunked company - but for uploading a large file it is great. faster than anything to date.

but for smaller files - it too stops..

sorry but.. what year is this?  why is windows not the best - fastest way to ftp stuff ( no more calculating air before copying)

its been promised over and over again - but i think committtees and windows protection is the albatros.

please - your an OS - not a bank.  please make files upload, resume, keep alive - and restore shortcuts using the :password@

maybe ie9?

• User profile image
    Custa1200

jamie wrote:
    yes it's the ol' FTP request again.. from numerous threads and numerous ie promises (it will be in 5 .. no 6.. no 7...)

PLEASE PLEASE fix ftp in windows. (*not a download manager - just working ftp)

I know it is not to your advantage ( you want to make it hard to upload so storage stays local - unless it's your live folders... bla bla)

I am so ....so...so...tired of it

to begin with it was a great implimentation - just like explorer windows (web later removed [n] ) but you just type:

ftp://folder.domain.com:password@domain.com  and it worked. 

I can no longer drag shortcuts to desktop to these links anymore but the most annoying thing is it has never really worked.. and is getting worse.

im sitting currently trying to upload 100 megs of jpgs to a folder.  The folder is on a unix/linux webserver (not sure that has anything to do with it but its worth a mention)

everytime i i drag the folder in - it times out.

why?

if i tell windows this folder at this address - and then drag in a folder - would you not think windows might realise - oh - you want all this stuff in this folder to upload?  there should be Keep Alives built in every 2 seconds or something - and resume - hey i dont even care about resume (well i do) but not when simple uploading/downloading multiple files does not work.

in my ftp apps - i have ftp explorer and then just windows.  i had cute ftp - but it was complicatied although it did usually accompish the un-accomplishable: it uploaded stuff.

ftp explorer is a defunked company - but for uploading a large file it is great. faster than anything to date.

but for smaller files - it too stops..

sorry but.. what year is this?  why is windows not the best - fastest way to ftp stuff ( no more calculating air before copying)

its been promised over and over again - but i think committtees and windows protection is the albatros.

please - your an OS - not a bank.  please make files upload, resume, keep alive - and restore shortcuts using the :password@

maybe ie9?

Jamie, why not horses for courses?? There a re a huge number of capable and free solutions out there that are optimised for FTP. I really don't see the point of having this in a web browser. Next you will want IE to be a word processor or Messenger client... Wink

Try Filezilla.

• User profile image
    jamie

Custa1200 wrote:

Jamie, why not horses for courses?? There a re a huge number of capable and free solutions out there that are optimised for FTP. I really don't see the point of having this in a web browser. Next you will want IE to be a word processor or Messenger client... Wink

Try Filezilla.

because if IE is going to support this:

ftp://folder.domain.com:password@domain.com 

then it should work better than anything else. it is files. an OS is files!  Wink

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

The FTP stuff is not part of IE anymore, it's part of Windows Explorer. IE7 itself has only read-only FTP support, because of the separation between IE and Explorer which means the IE7 can no longer host the folder view for FTP.

The annoying thing is that FTP shortcuts still open in IE and not in explorer, and there's no easy way to change that. That's very annoying. You can manually create a shortcut to "explorer.exe ftp://whatever" but it's still annoying.

I've not seen the timeout problem, but then I don't upload using FTP very often.

FTP is pretty much at a dead-end anyway. It's horribly insecure as it uses plain-text passwords. It also has no support for more advanced authentication methods like smartcards or certificates.

There are much better alternatives such as SFTP and WebDAV but unfortunately they are not that widely supported yet.

• User profile image
    jamie

i just want to upload 1000 files (100 meg) without it stopping.

i hate buying add ons for stuff the os should do.

i always believed ms was right in the ie integration court case.

so did bill  ... i guess steve didnt.  security and all that.

edit:  maybe a download manager would solve mutilpe file uploads.  but i ask - is there a download manager when you copy files to your network? to your server? to your laptop?  No.  It just copies.

thats why id love ftp in ie8 to just... work like windows. to work like it was designed.  ...but not time out

**PS - i just realised im refering to Explorer in the past tense: where it wasnt nuetered.  One Explorer to rule them all. bla bla Wink

• User profile image
    jamie

Q: if ftp ...(url above) was moved to only open in... Windows Explorer(my computer)... and a download manager has been promised for ie8... will this = one explorer again?  (hooray!)

Edit:  INTERNET Explorer..  ya right - we got it...internet..  

Its explorer! its the best brand youve never promoted.  it should be one thing - not 2

explorer was before navigator...

safari copied explorer name wize.... they should have used iFinder..ha

anyway explorer. thats the killer app.

edit: especially in the way it will offer new 3d realms of opportunity - yet still revert to luna, classic, and aero if required by long time customers

<refer = explorer.exe>

• User profile image
    xgamer

Hi Jamie,

I have been using explorer ftp for atleast 2-3 years now for downloading/uploading stuff from my company ftp site. It is hosted on Fedora server. I had IE 6 and now have IE7. I did not notice any problem. I normally download/upload huge files (not multiple files .. as most of the folks zip or rar it ) without any problem ( I dont's use user@password but save ftp password in explorer )

Only one gripe which applies to even http downloads .. resume download facility.Sad

PS : Firefox - Fireftp seems have some problem with our company ftp server. It always gives '500 : OOPS child died' error.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.