Coffeehouse Thread

10 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

VIDEO:: Balmer Interview at Web 2.0 Summit

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    creditcard

eagle wrote:

I was there in the first row, Dan's presentation was great!

Steve was in good form, I sent him an email the day before wishing him well and he replied - THX  

What is Ballmer's e-mail address?

• User profile image
    a !

http://blip.tv/file/438400

others in video include Facebook founder,   Rupert Murdoch, Tim Oreilly, and more

• User profile image
    jamie

what a waste of time.. they show the guy talking about what he's doing in silverlight - not the screen. you never see the screen. just a guy talking about amazing stuff you cant see

also re:steveb - slllllipery! son of a gun!  Wink

• User profile image
    prndll

Alright, I just watched the video.

I'm sorry guys, I just simply saw nothing at all about web2.0. What I saw was a somewhat generic conversation about MS. The presentation (I wish I could have seen the screen) sounded like things that could already be done and was already being done. Ballmer talks about an "independant path", while also talking about buying 20 companies a year. That doesn't sound very independant to me. He talks about Outlook in the sense that it could be many thing to many people. At the end of the day, Outlook is still just an email client. It does do things other than email but those things are too small to see Outlook as anything other than what it is...an email client. Ballmer talks about the future of the net getting into computation on both sides. Computation on both sides is the way things have been done on the net for decades. When Ballmer talks about advertising, what he's really refering to is targeted advertising. Targeted advertising flys in the face (180 degrees) from what is really needed at this point....the addressing of privacy issues. I don't like the idea of ads tracking my every movement. This is and always has been one of the best reasons to clean out cookies.

It was a video that I'm glad I watched. But, I'm not exactly impressed.

• User profile image
    a !

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071022-ballmer-microsofts-search-will-dunk-every-other-guy-some-day.html

Microsoft will dunk Google in search one day, according to Microsoft CEO and developers' favorite cheerleader, Steve Ballmer. He made the comments during the Web 2.0 Summit in San Francisco last week in response to a question by Dan Fernandez on Microsoft's search efforts. Ballmer is very confident in the future of Live Search, and is proud of where it stands today in relation to other search engines.

Fernandez had asked Ballmer whether Live Search was something that he'd like to "smack on the back of the head" to do a better job, in reference to a comment that Ballmer had made earlier in the interview. Ballmer didn't hesitate for a second to shoot back with a big, fat "no."

"Absolutely not. I would say 'Hey, you know, you're just three years old,'" Ballmer replied. "'And we've got you in there playing basketball with the 12-year-olds, and you know what? You're growing up quick, you're getting better every day, and you've got all the potential in the world. If it takes you until you're six, seven, eight, nine, 10—but you're gonna dunk, and you're gonna dunk every other guy some day,'" he said.

• User profile image
    eagle

I was there in the first row, Dan's presentation was great!

Steve was in good form, I sent him an email the day before wishing him well and he replied - THX  

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

steve.ballmer@microsoft.com most likely.

• User profile image
    mawcc

jsampsonPC wrote:
    steve.ballmer@microsoft.com most likely.

He mentions it in the video, during a somewhat funny segment, saying

"If you've got something to sell, email me at steveb@microsoft.com!"

That was after he mentioned that Microsoft buys about 20 companies a year.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Dan's a cool guy! Smiley

• User profile image
    a !

http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/10/26/the-microsoft-machine-keeps-chugging-along/

interesting review on TechCrunch regarding the latest in MS finances, software and businee strategy successes
    and New York Times http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/26/technology/26soft.html

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.