Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Ideas for cleaning up IE interface

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

Some while ago I came up with some ideas for ways to clean up the current IE interface.  (I posted some mockup here earlier as an idea but I was never happy with it)

I know some of you dislike the change in the Refresh and Stop buttons, but that just ties into the Vista look. Instead of quibbling over that, I think there are some easy solutions to making the interface more useful, cleaner, and less schizophrenic.

A lot of people (Jamie) ask for a Ribbon. But I don't think IE should have as much commands as to need something as heavy as a ribbon, and a lot of people like the slim streamlined IE interface, so I designed here a toolbar that can easily switch between 'toolbar sets'.

The ubiquitous home button I think should go and be replaced by a Quick Access Center, like the Quick Launch center on the Windows Taskbar or the Quick Access Center in Office. One of these bookmarks or folders (as explained) could be set as the Default Home Page (should be visually marked with a check in a green circle like the Default Printer icon). Favorites can be displayed as a toolbar or sidebar. The look has been changed to make everything cleaner and more composed. Everything is described in the pink captions.

The only major thing I didn't illustrate here is how to deal with new feeds. The ways I would suggest is either build it somewhere into the Feeds section of the Favorites Center, put it on the address bar like in Firefox, or make a button under Page options or Browser options. Add bookmark can also similarly go under the Favorites Center section, or it can be done by dragging. Or even just added to the Favorites Center Menu. I think the Add Favorites button as currently in IE is a bit unnecessary.

Please give your comments

• User profile image
    jamie

did you mean live search interface? not ie?

it looks the..same or more complicated with all the text..and the ie parts are the same?

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

One way to deal with Adding Favorites...

• User profile image
    jamie

ah favorites.

cool.  <green stamp>

tell me when its done and we will send it out over win update Tongue Out

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

Jamie

what do you think what I did with the Ribbon like toolsets..

• User profile image
    jamie

no sorry - i didnt notice right away as i loaded a bunch of apps to change ie7 to look more like ie6.

i just figured with all that thought you put in to favorites - sure - stamp - it goes in.

(is there a favorites group? i say its brian now Smiley)

Edit -*although i think we need michael on the the Fit's law stuff

• User profile image
    jamie

what... this part? : "A lot of people (Jamie) "

i liked that part the best!

Smiley

..errr tab ui - cool

• User profile image
    jamie

i posted on scobles site why i hate facebook = jumble

i want:

family (stream)   co-worker (stream) scoble/mary-jo / ms/channel9 stream... etc.

I need to separate FB into categories.  I did a graphic somewhere..forget link... but its basically tabs for main FB view

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

Jamie ----- the largest problem i see with IE now is all of the previous menu options are clumsily and in a disorganized way stuffed on the right side of the tabs, we have too many menus, without any consistent design, and the existence of real looking tabs next to all these buttons and menus looks cluttered.

So I minimized the favorites to a single menu, minimized the toolbar options to a single menu which can sort through toolsets (like a Ribbon but more compact), and made the tabs fit a little better into an interface so they dont make it look cluttered. The idea is to clean up and organize the current look as much as possible.

(and I added the Quick Access Center instead of a Home button)

Sorry you can't notice the difference.

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

Here's an alternative way to do the mini-ribbon concept... with a little bar that floats on the right side. .. I like the first way I illustrated better because I think this is unnecessary, but this is only to show a concept.

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

brian.shapiro wrote:

Please give your comments

V. Nice!

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.