Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

A Sneak Peek at Windows 7

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    a !

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071021-core-of-windows-7-taking-shape-meet-the-minwin-kernel.html

http://bellatrix.acm.uiuc.edu/UIUC-ACM-RP07-Traut.wmv

Eric Traut, one of Microsoft's chief operating system design engineers, gave a demo recently at the University of Illinois, where he talked about where the Windows core is going and ended with a sneak peek at the kernel of the next version of Windows, known by the exciting codename of "Windows 7." The demo showed what Windows would look like if it was literally stripped down to the core, showing the kind of work that is going on to optimize the aging NT kernel

• User profile image
    littleguru
  • User profile image
    PerfectPhase

arstechnica wrote:

Traut ran a stripped-down version of Windows 7 called "MinWin" that included only the core kernel: for the first time Windows NT has been seen running naked, without even a GUI to dress itself. It ran only a miniature web server that would display simple HTML pages, including some dynamically-generated pages that showed the task list and other properties of MinWin itself.

What I don't get about the intreast in MinWin is that couldn't we already have done this with XP-Embedded, I've for sure done work along those lines with it?

Anyone tell me what makes this demo so special?

• User profile image
    JChung2006

As far as I know, it's the first public demo of Windows 7 code in action.  Aside from that, it wasn't special or spectacular.

• User profile image
    longzheng

PerfectPhase wrote:

arstechnica wrote:

Traut ran a stripped-down version of Windows 7 called "MinWin" that included only the core kernel: for the first time Windows NT has been seen running naked, without even a GUI to dress itself. It ran only a miniature web server that would display simple HTML pages, including some dynamically-generated pages that showed the task list and other properties of MinWin itself.

What I don't get about the intreast in MinWin is that couldn't we already have done this with XP-Embedded, I've for sure done work along those lines with it?

Anyone tell me what makes this demo so special?

XP-Embedded is working from the top-down, trying to remove excess code in an existing system. Whereas MinWin is working from the ground-up, only putting in what is absolutely necessary in the kernel.

• User profile image
    stevo_

No, Perplexed.. the way I saw minwin, was the min level of wrapping they wanted around the kernel to test it out..

If you classify 'windows' as we see it as all the gigs of crap wrapped around the kernel, to provide a shell.. then minwin was the simplest version of 'windows' ever created, just to test the kernel..

I mean imagine this, you are testing new builds of the kernel out.. you are probably launching these builds in a VM, or on a networked machine you can bootstrap.. do you:

A: stick windows vista wrapped around it, and potentially have to deal with broken things from kernel changes.
    B: make a min level of interaction with the OS to see things work as expected..

I'm not a kernel developer, but I know what I would do while working on progressing raw kernel technology.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

..."Most of you are probably too young to remember Windows 3.1"

So the fact that I was using Windows 1.1 for Pen Applications when I was in the Army says what?

[C]

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.