Coffeehouse Thread

33 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Channel 9 videos need a "dog" in one of the corners

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    littleguru

I have been watching the Channel 9 videos on the TV lately. Yeah, I finally discovered that the Xbox is a Media Extender and that Vista plays very nicely with it. But what is missing? A dog! Usually, if you watch a TV channel they have a dog in one of the corners... That thing is saying: I'm watching CBS (or what have you)...

That's really missing in the Channel 9 videos. They should get one!

I know it is probably very low in the list of things to do, but are there any plans to add something like that?

edit: changed "watermark" to "dog" - thanks barry.

edit2: since we are on the topic... any plans to switch the video aspect ratio to 16:9?

• User profile image
    jeffsand

I think a little nine guy head in the right corner, might be a cool addition.  We hadn't done this previously as we had not found a simple way to do it via Windows Movie Maker.  We were using Premier to do it on Channel 10 and I like the simplicity of just using Movie Marker.

Our team recently found this post which outlines a simple way via MovieMaker's XML extensibility model to allow for easy watermarking in movie maker.

It works well.

So with that on hand, hopefully soon we'll start watermarking our videos with a little 9 guy head. 

Cool?

• User profile image
    blowdart

That's not a watermark, it's a dog.

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Like these, perhaps? Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Rossj

Lloyd_Humph wrote:
    Like these, perhaps?

Too big Expressionless

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Well, y'know.

It's just a concept, like those but scaled down. They're only 7k each, it can't be that much of a problem, surely?

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    PerfectPhase

Lloyd_Humph wrote:
    Well, y'know.

It's just a concept, like those but scaled down. They're only 7k each, it can't be that much of a problem, surely?

Maybe one that fades out, but please not over the whole video!

Besides, this should be a 5 minute job to add to the silverlight player?  Shouldn't it?

• User profile image
    AdamKinney

It would be a 5 minute job to add it to the silverlight player, but it would be better to encode it into the video.  As littleguru pointed out not everyone watches the videos within the browser.

I like the idea and its something that is already done by the 10 team:

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

Yep, I was thinking as stop-gap till you had time to change your encoding pipeline.

• User profile image
    irascian

Please God, NO!

The only reason TV channels use these is so that dumb users can identify what channel they're watching. You KNOW you're watching a Channel 9 video, so what's the point?

Or do you REALLY want "dog" burn-in on your LCD/Plasma?!!?!

• User profile image
    Minh

U.S. Americans call them "bugs", such as.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

irascian wrote:

Please God, NO!

The only reason TV channels use these is so that dumb users can identify what channel they're watching. You KNOW you're watching a Channel 9 video, so what's the point?

The only things that I'd like to be added to the vids:

• Subtitles (done properly as a *.dub, not an actual part of the video stream)
    • Names of the people as they come on (and their job titles), for those of us who watch them on PDAs etc, away from the webpage)

• User profile image
    littleguru

irascian wrote:
    Please God, NO!

... and I like them! Am I dumb now?

• User profile image
    staceyw

The Expression Encoder could do this easy and scriptable from what I hear.

• User profile image
    Human​Compiler

irascian wrote:

Please God, NO!

Another possible reason to have it is once we allow sharing/embedding of our videos in your blogs, etc it'll be nice for people to see.  Also just as a watermark for ownership.  Personally, I'd like to see us put it in the download files and when the video player is shared, but not in the video player locally.  What this could mean is that it's encoded in the video for the download files, but is added dynamically on the Silverlight player so we can decide when we show it and when we don't (like how we don't need it when viewing it on the site).  Of course that is the most complicated way, so we'll see.  Smiley

• User profile image
    Rossj

irascian wrote:

You KNOW you're watching a Channel 9 video, so what's the point?

Could we also have an OSD that comes up and obscures the video telling us what is coming up next? And advert breaks every 8 minutes?

How you guys in the US put up with the quality of TV delivery over there is totally beyond me, I think you've probably become de-sensitized to it.

• User profile image
    Cyonix

HumanCompiler wrote:

irascian wrote:

Please God, NO!

Another possible reason to have it is once we allow sharing/embedding of our videos in your blogs, etc it'll be nice for people to see.  Also just as a watermark for ownership.  Personally, I'd like to see us put it in the download files and when the video player is shared, but not in the video player locally.  What this could mean is that it's encoded in the video for the download files, but is added dynamically on the Silverlight player so we can decide when we show it and when we don't (like how we don't need it when viewing it on the site).  Of course that is the most complicated way, so we'll see. 
    If you do add one, can you make it almost totally transparent?

• User profile image
    Bas

I.. really don't need any logo's on the screen that tell me I'm watching Channel 9 when I know that I'm on Channel 9. Maybe for the downloadable and externally linked video's, but I don't see why we'd need them here.

I have to agree with W3bbo, though: subtitles. There was a guy here a little while ago who was deaf, and I'm sure that he's not the only deaf person interested in these videos. I'd say add the video's.

Although names and job titles would sort of lessen the ad-hoc feel of those vids, it would be pretty handy for video's with three or more people.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.