Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

IIS and SEO

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    SpongeBob​SquarePants

Does deploying IIS hinder your chances of getting to the top of the major search engines? I really can't see how it can to be honest. I've just been handed the task of getting our corporate site up in the rankings and have been told to stick to Linux and forget IIS. What's all this about?  Someone said to me thats its related to the "If-Modified-Since HTTP header".

I'd like to go down the IIS route as I can use some of my existing C# code which would my life much easier.

Is IIS really such an obstacle? I'd be interested to hear what you guys think. Please say no 'cause I've seen a very attractive package from a host here in the UK including SQL2005. Tongue Out

• User profile image
    mcampbell

I've found LightTPD to be far superior and faster than IIS, Apache, or any of the web servers out there, no idea on the affect on search results though. To be honest I think that's a load of BS.

btw,
    what was the host?

• User profile image
    figuerres

SpongeBobSquarePants wrote:

Zeus wrote:

Does deploying IIS hinder your chances of getting to the top of the major search engines? I really can't see how it can to be honest. I've just been handed the task of getting our corporate site up in the rankings and have been told to stick to Linux and forget IIS. What's all this about?  Someone said to me thats its related to the "If-Modified-Since HTTP header".

I'd like to go down the IIS route as I can use some of my existing C# code which would my life much easier.

Is IIS really such an obstacle? I'd be interested to hear what you guys think. Please say no 'cause I've seen a very attractive package from a host here in the UK including SQL2005.

IIS has nothing to do with good SEO performance. It's all about content, content, content.

Well thats exactly what I thought. I just wondered why anyone would say something that pathetic to be honest.

they *might* have been confused, reports of "server ranking" show appache as some % and MSFT IIS as lower....
    they might have confuzed the # of servers running x
    with search engines finding your site.

and yes, you need content, you need meta tags, linkage with partners and such...
    for example how many other folks have sites that point to your corp pages?
    how many sites do your pages point to?

if you can get some good x-way links going on and some good keywords then your site will start to move up in nuimbers in a shot time.

also make sure that *EVERY IMAGE HAS AN ALT TAG* that will help on both the "accessability" rating and with indexing and adding keywords for SEO.

I am sure there are a ton of other things to check but I think the things I listed are a fair start.

• User profile image
    Bas

Is IIS really such an obstacle? I'd be interested to hear what you guys think. Please say no 'cause I've seen a very attractive package from a host here in the UK including SQL2005.

I'm googling for 'Microsoft', and it comes out on top. Pretty sure they're running IIS. Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Zeus

IIS has nothing to do with good SEO performance. It's all about content, content, content.

• User profile image
    SpongeBob​SquarePants

Zeus wrote:

Well thats exactly what I thought. I just wondered why anyone would say something that pathetic to be honest.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.