Coffeehouse Thread

31 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Apple should sell Windows PCs?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Rossj

PaoloM wrote:
    yeah, the point I wanted to make... It's entirely possible that the fantastic quarter Apple just had was not completely due to OSX

So Apple aren't selling hardware because of the OS? It is entirely therefore possible that people aren't buying computers because of Windows?

The point I wanted to make ... people only use Windows because it comes by default on PCs Smiley if they had any taste ...

j/k

• User profile image
    Ray6

Hell, yes ... according to ZDnet pundit Adrian Kingsley-Hughes.

I thought it was a bizarre time to float this as an idea, considering Apple's PC sales are still beating the industry average, but he sets out a reasonable set of arguments.

Two years ago, I would have said, 'yes ... great idea' but now, I don't really think it would make any difference.

• User profile image
    TimP

They're never going to pre-load Windows on their machines (unless they stop development of OS X at some point, highly unlikely), but with Boot Camp, they've done all the work except for getting a copy of Windows.

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

Why do people buy apples?

Shiny boxes and OSX

What is OSX's advantage?

Less fudd, doesn't have the problem of having to support the multitude of hardware devices that Windows does.

Selling windows won't add to either of those.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

GoddersUK wrote:
    Why do people buy apples?

Shiny boxes and OSX

What is OSX's advantage?

Less fudd, doesn't have the problem of having to support the multitude of hardware devices that Windows does.

Selling windows won't add to either of those.

Er... I am seeing more and more MacBook Pros running Vista. Of course around the company, but I saw some last weekend at a Starbucks and a couple of friends of mine totally unrelated to Microsoft.

I am wondering if it would be possible to find out what's the percentage of Apple hardware running Windows...

Edit: yeah, the point I wanted to make... It's entirely possible that the fantastic quarter Apple just had was not completely due to OSX Smiley

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

PaoloM wrote:
    Er... I am seeing more and more MacBook Pros running Vista. Of course around the company, but I saw some last weekend at a Starbucks and a couple of friends of mine totally unrelated to Microsoft.

I am wondering if it would be possible to find out what's the percentage of Apple hardware running Windows...

Edit: yeah, the point I wanted to make... It's entirely possible that the fantastic quarter Apple just had was not completely due to OSX

Bah, humbug: fashion....

It'll all be gone in a few years - you mark my words.

/grump

• User profile image
    brichpmr

I think (anecdotally) that many Mac users who run Windows on their Macs do so primarily to use custom apps that aren't available on OSX, or apps that their company requires. For example, I have to use the Win version of the Cisco VPN client because of the specific firewall config my company invested in with their Cisco concentrator. Other than this, I have no real need to launch Windows....ymmv.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Rossj wrote:

PaoloM wrote:
    yeah, the point I wanted to make... It's entirely possible that the fantastic quarter Apple just had was not completely due to OSX

So Apple aren't selling hardware because of the OS? It is entirely therefore possible that people aren't buying computers because of Windows?

Unfortunately, and against all my recommendations, Microsoft doesn't build PCs. So it's out of our hands Sad

Think about that: two laptops, two desktops.

One consumer laptop, multimedia oriented, with a big screen, tuner, remote, a smart docking station with proper speakers and a USB hub, designed to be used as a home machine in lieu of the usual desktop.

One business laptop, rugged, light, rock solid perf, easily serviceable.

One gaming/server desktop for home use, high perf, super easy storage and video expansion, to be used as a gaming rig or as a home/sbs server.

One business desktop, very small, very serviceable, almost filling the role of the network computer of yesteryear.

All supported by a single support line, hardware, services and software.

Wouldn't that be nice? Smiley

Rossj wrote:
    The point I wanted to make ... people only use Windows because it comes by default on PCs if they had any taste ...

Tongue Out

But seriously, I wonder if we have any usage data about the manufacturer of the machine when you authorize a copy of Windows... I don't know if it's even possible to get that info, but it surely would be interesting Smiley

• User profile image
    Ray6

PaoloM wrote:

Rossj wrote:

PaoloM wrote:

Unfortunately, and against all my recommendations, Microsoft doesn't build PCs. So it's out of our hands

Think about that: two laptops, two desktops.

One consumer laptop, multimedia oriented, with a big screen, tuner, remote, a smart docking station with proper speakers and a USB hub, designed to be used as a home machine in lieu of the usual desktop.

One business laptop, rugged, light, rock solid perf, easily serviceable.

One gaming/server desktop for home use, high perf, super easy storage and video expansion, to be used as a gaming rig or as a home/sbs server.

One business desktop, very small, very serviceable, almost filling the role of the network computer of yesteryear.

All supported by a single support line, hardware, services and software.

Wouldn't that be nice?

Yes, the OEMs would love you for it .... Smiley

No high end gaming laptop though?

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

Rossj wrote:

PaoloM wrote:

The point I wanted to make ... people only use Windows because it comes by default on PCs if they had any taste ...

Well I dunno... Vista is pretty attractive.  I mean, I've been using it for so long it's just kinda "meh", but my mom recently got a Vista laptop and it's just like those Best Buy commercials say: now she "loves her PC," or at least enjoys using it.
    the hardware isn't half bad-looking either...

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Ray6 wrote:
    Yes, the OEMs would love you for it ....

That's where we get the OEM love back Smiley

• User profile image
    nightski

Just bought a 2.4 Macbook Pro yesterday! It is an amazing piece of hardware. I've been using it all day today, love it. Now I just have to live with OS X Tiger for a few more days until I can get Boot Camp through Leopard and install Vista Smiley But Vista will be my primary OS. Simply put, Apple does make extremey attractive hardware. Style does matter, especially with a laptop. This is partly because style affects function in this case. Slim, lightweight, but powerful is a hard combination to find these days =/ I almost held out for the Dell m1530 but decided to just go with the mac.

• User profile image
    Ray6

PaoloM wrote:

Ray6 wrote:
    Yes, the OEMs would love you for it ....

That's where we get the OEM love back

That is very clever .... Big Smile

• User profile image
    Ray6

nightski wrote:
    Just bought a 2.4 Macbook Pro yesterday! It is an amazing piece of hardware. I've been using it all day today, love it. Now I just have to live with OS X Tiger for a few more days until I can get Boot Camp through Leopard and install Vista Smiley But Vista will be my primary OS. Simply put, Apple does make extremey attractive hardware. Style does matter, especially with a laptop. This is partly because style affects function in this case. Slim, lightweight, but powerful is a hard combination to find these days =/ I almost held out for the Dell m1530 but decided to just go with the mac.

... and that is very interesting.

• User profile image
    Ray6

nightski wrote:
    Just bought a 2.4 Macbook Pro yesterday! It is an amazing piece of hardware. I've been using it all day today, love it. Now I just have to live with OS X Tiger for a few more days until I can get Boot Camp through Leopard and install Vista Smiley

You couldn't wait a few weeks for Leopard to be preinstalled? ... Smiley

nightski wrote:

But Vista will be my primary OS. Simply put, Apple does make extremey attractive hardware. Style does matter, especially with a laptop.

Actually, Asus makes the laptop I think. The MacBook Pro is based on their W2P chassis by the looks of it.

nightski wrote:

This is partly because style affects function in this case. Slim, lightweight, but powerful is a hard combination to find these days =/ I almost held out for the Dell m1530 but decided to just go with the mac.

Hmmm ...

Yes, I was looking at the Dell. I'm glad to see that they went with the M1330 styling, rather than the strange, migraine-inducing design scheme they used on the M1730.

• User profile image
    Sabot

Geeeez, isn't it obvious ????

The Mac is the computer for the Kool kids.

Vista is the OS for the Kool kids. (- for now, Leopard is about getting the cool kids back)

So the Kool kids are gonna want to run both together.

It's all about the latest and greatest and brands !

A good demostration of this is. In the UK the phone to have ... isn't the iPhone! ... It's the Prada phone.

Make a shinny laptop and put a Prada logo on it and see Apples market get eaten into.

• User profile image
    Massif

Sabot wrote:
    Make a shinny laptop and put a Prada logo on it and see Apples market get eaten into.

Shinny? Should it have knobbly knees too?

You know what I want? (being a bit of a lunatic) I want a company to make all their laptops so that when you order you can customise them with an image to be printed onto the body.

Which would be so cool, and better than trying to get vinyls which fit, (and cutting them so they don't obscure the fans / grills.

If the technology could be in place so a major manufacturer could do that, then apple would see their one-white-box-fits-all approach being slightly denegrated.

• User profile image
    n4cer

I've long thought Apple would do just as well, and likely much better, selling Windows PCs. They're basically a boutique PC vendor, and they could continue to demand a premium price due to their brand and design assets. MS could even partner with them in creating showcase systems. Sun seems to be better off as a Windows OEM rather than the company formerly controlled mostly by hatred of MS.

If MS became a PC vendor (beyond Surface Cool ), I think they could enter the market without upsetting their OEMs by focusing on offering innovative hardware that pushes forward technologies that don't normally get the full attention of/best execution from OEMs, like Tablet PCs, UMPCs, smart displays, and of course, surface computing. MS could take the risk where major OEMs are unwilling. You could say Microsoft could make the verticle horizontal. Push the niche into the mainstream, then maybe even hand some of it off to OEMs after it becomes mainstream.

Build highly integrated (integrated meaning software/hardware -- not necessarily closed, non-upgradable systems - upgradability should be a feature wherever possible [laptop graphics for instance]), well designed, hardware that is an example to the OEMs of how to differentiate, provide the best user experience, and take advantage of new Windows features. The systems would not only be great products for users, but great reference designs for OEMs.

One caveat -- even if MS provided the absolute best Windows systems available, even if everything is simple and integrated, and the technology and experience is great, MS absolutely must back up their offerings with broad TV advertising that shows users what's so special about the products. This is a page everyone in tech can take from Apple (though the ads should run a bit less frequently than theirs so it doesn't get annoying as theirs often are Smiley)

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.