Coffeehouse Thread

10 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Another Linux vendor strikes a deal with Microsoft

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ray6

InformationWeek reports that TurboLinux has kissed Microsoft's ring (so to speak) and so its users are now protected from any threat of legal action.

Aside from the pledge, TurboLinux gets access to single sign-on, and can use Windows Live Search on their desktop.

I don't think I'd heard of TurboLinux before I read this .... Expressionless

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Yeah, it's always funny how when a distro does something that the GPL-thumping zealots don't like, it's always "who are these guys?"

TurboLinux is the most popular Linux distro in Japan and has been like that for several years now...

Expressionless

• User profile image
    Minh

I'm curious to know. Is there a list of GPL v3 applications?

• User profile image
    TimP

"so its users are now protected from any threat of legal action."

The bigger news is that there are actually people who still use Turbolinux.

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

Ray6 wrote:
    and so its users are now protected from any threat of legal action.

Except from the developers of GPLv3 applications.

Are they (GPL people or MS) really likely to take legal action against any people using any of linux distro merely for using it?

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

PaoloM wrote:
    Yeah, it's always funny how when a distro does something that the GPL-thumping zealots don't like, it's always "who are these guys?"

TurboLinux is the most popular Linux distro in Japan and has been like that for several years now...

It was the first distro I ever installed.

I was stumped though because it had no GUI and didn't like any of the MSDOS commands I through at it.

Tongue Out

(I was VERY young then, that's my excuse)

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

GoddersUK wrote:

PaoloM wrote:

I was stumped though because it had no GUI and didn't like any of the MSDOS commands I through at it.

My very first experience was with Gentoo in 2001, that's what it was like also.

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

This deal is fine as long as it doesn't encompass GPLv3 software. Only Novell was allowed to engage into patent deal regarding GPLv3 software. All other Linux companies are barred and subject to potential lawsuit from the FSF.

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

GoddersUK wrote:

Hehe... yeah, but now days you can just install DosBox or DosEmu and you'll have even that.

• User profile image
    TimP

PaoloM wrote:

I guess they're not #74 on Distowatch for nothing.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.