Coffeehouse Thread

9 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

where are the final builds or RC's of VS 2008 ?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    figuerres

from things I hear VS 2008 must be darn close to ready.

I'd love to see one last pre RTM build or know that the RTM build is already beeing mastered ...

also I'd like to hear about the status of Silverlight 1.1
    and XNA Game Studio 2.0

just wondering if there are any folks at MSFT who can speak about them just yet?

VS 2008 Beta is almost good, but I have some IDE problkems with the html designer crashing... but MSFT connect says "can't repro" and I don't have time to make copies of stuff .... and I am just hoping they are testing with a new internal build that fixed the things I was telling them about.

• User profile image
    JChung2006

They are giving away promotional copies of Visual Studio 2008 RTM at the DevConnections conference in Las Vegas November 5-8.  Of course, they could just be giving away vouchers if it isn't actually ready yet.

• User profile image
    MikeeeG

As of today 141 days left for evaluation VS express 2008 versions(per my copy). Mmmmm, thats still more than four months away.

If there is an XNA Dev Express ver 2.0 . ,will it be integrated into ...2008 as well as VS 2005 express?

I can be very patient, so I will not jump the gun yet.

• User profile image
    figuerres

MikeeeG wrote:
    As of today 141 days left for evaluation VS express 2008 versions(per my copy). Mmmmm, thats still more than four months away.

If there is an XNA Dev Express ver 2.0 . ,will it be integrated into ...2008 as well as VS 2005 express?

I can be very patient, so I will not jump the gun yet.

not jumping just wanting to know.

yes XNA 2.0 will work in pro and express versions of VS, there is an XNA team blog where that has been posted and I think on the xna game creator site.

Scott Gu. of MSFT has hinted that the RTM for VS 08 is coming very very soon, in his blog ...
    also the XNA folks blogged that V2 is due about now also...

so between now and jan we should see at least 1 or 2 rtm ships possibly 3 or more....

VS
    XNA
    .Net 3.5
    Silverlight 1.1 (guess, hoping)
    and after that some time next year
    Server 2008
    SQL 2008

and sometime soon Vista SP1

• User profile image
    mawcc

ScottGu wrote in his blog on Oct 16th that an announcement about the VS2008 release date will be made very soon.

• User profile image
    JChung2006

figuerres wrote:
    so between now and jan we should see at least 1 or 2 rtm ships possibly 3 or more....

That would be a wildly incorrect guess.  Silverlight 1.1 isn't going to be ready before January.

• User profile image
    figuerres

JChung2006 wrote:

figuerres wrote:

That would be a wildly incorrect guess.  Silverlight 1.1 isn't going to be ready before January.

as I understand it (possibly wrong ?)

the main things for SL 1.1 to be finished are:

1)  add a siute of "standard controlls" for the toolbox
    2)  get it ready for VS 2008
    3)  debuging it

AFAIK the SL version of the framework base is fairly well along.
    the bigest missing items are controls and the databinding for them.
    well they do have WPF controlls and know how they work, so seems like they should have some of that working by now...

as I said an RC would be great if one was ready.

if not then at least give us some news like "COntrols are almost done and we may have a CTP in January if all goes well"
    just a heads up would be nice, then folks could go "ok no sl till after xmas, look for other bits till then...

• User profile image
    jh

TechEd Barcelona is next week.

Last year, this event included the release of .NET 3.0.

Somasegar (VP of MS Developer division) is giving the keynote this year. 
    Wonder what goodies he has in the bag. Could it be...

• User profile image
    Isshou

DevConnections (same week as TechEd Barcelona 5-8 instead of 5-9) is another high-profile conference that is advertising " Be amoung the first to receive a copy of Visual Studio 2008"

They have Scott Guthrie (General Manager, .Net developer platorm) as a keynote speaker. Main keynote is actually be Steve Guggenheimer.

So two big developers conferences with high-profile keynotes? Makes you wonder...

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.