Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Share ASP.NET Session with Classic ASP

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    phreaks

Does anyone know of a product that will facilitate the sharing of Classic ASP and ASP.NET sessions ?

• User profile image
    stevo_

I don't know how you mean for ASP to access the ASP.NET session and vice versa...

But you could share the same identity if you wrote your own ISessionIDManager and set the aspnet session cookie to match that of ASPs..

I couldn't guarantee this would work however..

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

stevo_ wrote:
    I don't know how you mean for ASP to access the ASP.NET session and vice versa...

But you could share the same identity if you wrote your own ISessionIDManager and set the aspnet session cookie to match that of ASPs..

I couldn't guarantee this would work however..

Store the session in SQL and access it that way?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

ScanIAm wrote:

That wouldn't work.

ASP.NET, I think, uses the BinaryFormatter to serialise .NET types to the dictionary/hashtable which stores session objects.

Whereas ASP uses the Windows Script Host to do all that.

So even if you got SessionIDs working between the two, your data would be unreadable between platforms.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

W3bbo wrote:

ScanIAm wrote:

That wouldn't work.

ASP.NET, I think, uses the BinaryFormatter to serialise .NET types to the dictionary/hashtable which stores session objects.

Whereas ASP uses the Windows Script Host to do all that.

So even if you got SessionIDs working between the two, your data would be unreadable between platforms.

OK, then don't use session, just store the data manually based on the session ID.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

They can't share sessions, but they can both talk to the same cookie, or database.

• User profile image
    Richard.Hein

phreaks wrote:
    Does anyone know of a product that will facilitate the sharing of Classic ASP and ASP.NET sessions ?

Yes, StateStitch - http://www.consonica.com/StateStitch.aspx; I've used it and it's simple and effective, dealing with complex types that you'd have to mess with if you wrote your own.

• User profile image
    mawcc

phreaks wrote:

If I paste the title of your question into Live Search the first result is this.

• User profile image
    PhilZ

Richard.Hein wrote:

Yes, StateStitch - http://www.consonica.com/StateStitch.aspx; I've used it and it's simple and effective, dealing with complex types that you'd have to mess with if you wrote your own.

My client had me test out StateStitch and it worked GREAT.  When we contacted StateStitch to purchase the product they would not sell it.  Does anyone know where I can purchase StateStitch other than on their site or can anyone recommend another product other than SessionBridge?

Thanks,
    Phil

• User profile image
    Richard.Hein

They wouldn't SELL it?  What??  Perplexed  Why on Earth not??

• User profile image
    phreaks

PhilZ wrote:

Richard.Hein wrote:

My client had me test out StateStitch and it worked GREAT.  When we contacted StateStitch to purchase the product they would not sell it.  Does anyone know where I can purchase StateStitch other than on their site or can anyone recommend another product other than SessionBridge?

Thanks,
    Phil

Word on the street is that the StateStitch product has been bought by another company, so for contractual reasons, statestitch can't be sold by consonica any longer.

I imagine that sometime shortly whomever the 3rd party that bougt the rights is, will repackage it for sale.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.