Coffeehouse Thread

13 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Asyc Callbacks - 2.0 - Web Forms

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    SaraJo

Hey, I have found 23079234689234 tutorials online ... I'm sure this is elementary to some of you but I'm working with this for the first time.

does anyone have a reference for me that they find reliable? I don't know which one to choose that will give me best results.

theeeeeeeeeeenks!

• User profile image
    Minh

1.1? or 2.0? They switched up the async model when they go to 2.0. For the worse, I think.

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

I don't think we can class you as new now Tongue Out

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    SaraJo

Minh wrote:
    1.1? or 2.0? They switched up the async model when they go to 2.0. For the worse, I think.

yeah, I should fix my title.

• User profile image
    Minh

SaraJo wrote:

Minh wrote:

yeah, I should fix my title.
    Yeah. Add in the title whether you're doing this for WinForms or WebForms, or just in general Smiley

• User profile image
    Minh

Hmmm... ASync calls in a WebForm is a pretty specialized case.

Are you making multiple web service calls within that one page?

Or calling multiple time-consuming business object methods?

• User profile image
    SaraJo

Minh wrote:

Or calling multiple time-consuming business object methods?

that guy.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

Are you going to refresh the page on a regular interval, use a "please hold" page, or use AJAX?

AJAX would be the prettiest, but if you aren't already using it, it might not be so worthwhile to start doing so just yet.

I can't think of any other way to notify your user that the process is complete.  If you don't care to notify them, then just spawn a thread.

• User profile image
    SaraJo

ScanIAm wrote:

Are you going to refresh the page on a regular interval, use a "please hold" page, or use AJAX?

AJAX would be the prettiest, but if you aren't already using it, it might not be so worthwhile to start doing so just yet.

I can't think of any other way to notify your user that the process is complete.  If you don't care to notify them, then just spawn a thread.

the page uses AJAX already to notify the user it is done... however for some reason the ASYNC call was written incorrectly and so it does the callback, pauses, then uses the AJAX to update the page. Completely pointless. I'm fixing it.

• User profile image
    stevo_

ScanIAm wrote:

Callback in .NET is ajax.. just not ASP.NET AJAX.. its just a raw ajaxy callback that acts like a regular postback..

They can only fire one at once because they need to push the current viewstate each time.. etc etc.

• User profile image
    Minh

Oh, I misunderstood Sarajo. I thought that it's entirely a server side issue. But I did find a really interesting article by Jeff Prosise called Asynchronous Pages in ASP.NET 2.0.

Note to Sarajo: This is all server side, so if your problem involves AJAX, then this article probably does not apply. But very interesting, nonetheless.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

SaraJo wrote:

ScanIAm wrote:

the page uses AJAX already to notify the user it is done... however for some reason the ASYNC call was written incorrectly and so it does the callback, pauses, then uses the AJAX to update the page. Completely pointless. I'm fixing it.

I think it has to do that on purpose.  You can't callback to the client, you can only callback to the server.  No matter how you do it, the client has to drive the final process that updates the screen.

• User profile image
    SaraJo

ScanIAm wrote:

SaraJo wrote:

ScanIAm wrote:

I think it has to do that on purpose.  You can't callback to the client, you can only callback to the server.  No matter how you do it, the client has to drive the final process that updates the screen.

yes, but the idea is the time the screen is waiting for the callback the user is unable to finish entering data. We want them to continue entering data and for the server to send the info when it has it rather than tying up the client.

Sorry, should've been more specific.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.