Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Oh shiny new version of Diskeeper.

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    blowdart

I've never sure if it's a placebo or not; I just know I feel happy defragging my drives now and again.

Except now it can do it in the background. No more clicking defrag before I go to bed.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

I can't say I ever notice much of a performance difference before or after I defrag. I'd say it's placebo.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

W3bbo wrote:
    I can't say I ever notice much of a performance difference before or after I defrag. I'd say it's placebo.

If you do it regular, it isn't that spectacular because you're not doing very much.

If you haven't done it in a while, though, it's quite nice.

Are we talking about defrag  Smiley

• User profile image
    blowdart

ScanIAm wrote:

W3bbo wrote:

If you do it regular, it isn't that spectacular because you're not doing very much.

If you haven't done it in a while, though, it's quite nice.

Are we talking about defrag 

Arf; and on laptops; with slower drives, the effect is more noticable

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

More of a fan of PerfectDisk myself.

• User profile image
    Daedroth

Yeah, defrag is necessary to keep drives in good shape, to improve read/write performance, extend the life of the drives (compared to a heavily fragmented drive), greatly improve chances of data recovery in case of drive failure, and finally, to improve power consumption in laptops (fragmented drives consume more power)! The benefits outweigh the few disadvantages.

I like the idea of automatic defragmentation. Seems to me it is more convenient and efficient compared to manual or scheduled defrag because you set it once and don't have to deal with it again. Saves time and work for what is an utterly boring yet necessary maintenance routine.Tongue Out

• User profile image
    elmer

I've always considered the functions that are not available in the standard defrag to be the most significant, as opposed to auto-scheduling.

e.g. Defrag and anti-frag control of the MFT and Swap-file.

• User profile image
    newmemberr

I hve begun to do that after a fiasco over a completely fragmented drive than also ran out of free space. It does make a difference i think. when the fragmentation is high, i find the PC to be laggy and jerky. I am now pretty regular with it. Its better to be preventive especially when so much is spent on getting high end components for that lightning fast speed.

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

I'm more a fan of intelligent filesystems that offset the need of defragging. And NTFS is not one of them.

• User profile image
    AndyC

Tom Servo wrote:
    I'm more a fan of intelligent filesystems that offset the need of defragging. And NTFS is not one of them.

NTFS really doesn't need defragging that often, so I'd agree with W3bbo that doing it all the time is more of a placebo effect than anything. Once heavy fragmentation has set in, however, it does offer a genuine performance benefit.

Supposedly fragmentation-less filesystems are all well a good up to a point, but they tend to completely fall over when free space becomes sparse. I'd rather have the option of doing a defrag than not.

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

No filesystem is fragmentation-less. At all. What I was hinting at with intelligence was decent IO scheduling, caching algorithms and prefetching.

Then again, it also gets annoying, when ZFS figures it needs to prefetch the movie I'm watching in 128MB chunks. It makes it glitch that moment.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.