Coffeehouse Thread

3 posts

SEAMonster: A .NET-Based Seam Carving Implementation

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    mswanson

Fellow geeks (and I mean that in the most complimentary way): I thought many of you would be interested in a free utility I just released called SEAMonster. It's a .NET-based implementation of the brilliant seam carving paper presented at this year's SIGGRAPH conference. You've probably already seen the video of their work, and if you haven't, you're in for a treat. It's inspirational stuff.

http://blogs.msdn.com/mswanson/archive/2007/10/23/seamonster-a-net-based-seam-carving-implementation.aspx

I'd love an comments and suggestions. Note that the algorithm is computationally expensive, so working with large images will be glacially slow. As developers improve the algorithm, this situation should get a lot better.

Enjoy!

• User profile image
    Bas

Oh hey, that's awesome. I wasn't aware that it was called seam carving, but it's that picture-resizing technique that doesn't just squish things but actually replaces elements in the scene, right? I'll take a look when I'm at home.

Did you talk to the guys at Paint.NET yet? I'd love to see this in a future version.

• User profile image
    mswanson

Bas wrote:
    Did you talk to the guys at Paint.NET yet? I'd love to see this in a future version.

I haven't talked to them myself, but there's already a post on their discussion forums about that idea. Once the project is submitted to CodePlex, I don't think it would take much effort for them to integrate this, since the logic is implemented as a reusable library.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.