Coffeehouse Thread

22 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

XP Pro OEM keys...

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

It's kinda an emergency at my end, so forgive the brashness....

But I've got 3 Dell machines with XP Pro OEM licenses, their OEM keys are on the CoA stickers on the side of the cases.

...but the company's lost their installation discs and they need stuff back online by Monday, so I'm just torrenting an XP Pro OEM ISO as I write this (now is not the time for lectures on the specifics).

Would the OEM keys on the side of the cases work with this ISO? I can't help but think not, because they're Dells, and Dell (was) in bed with Microsoft and stuff.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Yeah

Anyway, a friend of mine said he found an Professsional OEM CD (yes, it's Genuine(TM)) and he'll drop it off. I can cancel that torrent now.

Ta anyway

• User profile image
    W3bbo

CompGuy101 wrote:
    Very cool.

Do you go to school?

If you do, you can check with your IT Department and if they're in the MSDNAA you should be able to get a VLK key.

I'll just go and do that Wink

"hey IT guys who I've never spoken a word to in my life, can I have a Volume License key for all the software licensed only to the college?"

I'll make plenty of friends with lines like that....

Btw CompGuy, did you reply to my last email re: hosting?

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

CompGuy101 wrote:
    Very cool.

Do you go to school?

If you do, you can check with your IT Department and if they're in the MSDNAA you should be able to get a VLK key.

I've yet to come across a UK school that uses MDSNAA Sad

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

W3bbo wrote:

Would the OEM keys on the side of the cases work with this ISO? I can't help but think not, because they're Dells, and Dell (was) in bed with Microsoft and stuff.

Last time I tried, no it does not work.  The Dell OEM install is keyed to something in the BIOS, and the keys are specific to this kind of actvation checking.   You might get luckly though and find it's an OEM image from dell your downloading.

• User profile image
    the-​laughing-man

CompGuy101 wrote:

They should work if they haven't exceeded the maximum number of activations.

I have learned (from experience LOL) that even if the key has exceeded the maximum number of activations, just do the phone activation and talk to a MS representative. As long as the key is being used on the machine that it was orignally for, you should be good to go.

you don't even need to talk to a rep in my experience, I had the code up on screen, my boss was talking in one ear and I had the phone on the other ear and I pressed the wrong button on the phone.

You get options IIRC "is this the first time you've installed this press 1 for no, 2 for yes" then "is this installed on multiple PCs, press 1 for yes, 2 for no" and I pressed 1 on the second assuming it'd be 1 for no.

Anyway I didn't have time to sit on the phone for 5mins talking it out with them so I hung up, rang back to the automated service, put exactly the same code in but pressed 2 on the second option and it gave me an activation code.

Sometimes knowing how licences work is handy Tongue Out

• User profile image
    W3bbo

the-laughing-man wrote:
    Sometimes knowing how licences work is handy

The plot thickens.

Turns out this office has a VLK for Windows and Office, so I could just use my Windows XP VLK CD.

Windows installed fine, the problem now is with Office 2007.

The company has an Office 2007 Volume License, and a valid Office 2007 Enterprise key.

....but the Office 2007 Enterprise installer flat-out rejects it. I gave Microsoft a ring (long distance, because I can't find the Activation/Key support number for the UK), they said it was legit, and since it is legit they can't provide support (for that I'd have to give Microsoft UK a phone call.... but they're Monday-Friday 0800-1700).

Dámnit.

Yet another case of where being legit is harder than just torrenting the latest cracked ISOs.... are you listening Microsoft?

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

W3bbo wrote:
     since it is legit they can't provide support.

WTF!?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

GoddersUK wrote:

W3bbo wrote:
     since it is legit they can't provide support.

WTF!?

Sorry, I meant because I didn't need a new product key (because it's valid/legit) they couldn't provide me with a new one, but then again there's no word that key would work.

I phoned up Microsoft again, seeking installation help. I got put through to some US call-center and explained the situation; he said that I'd either need the company's credit-card or support contract details, otherwise they can't provide installation technical support.

This really is getting effing silly. Installation support dealing with activation should be free on account of this being Microsoft's fault.

• User profile image
    eagle

So what's preventing you from calling the OEM Dell?

How does someone at a Microsoft call center know if your company is the original owners of these PC's?

Funny how you never mentioned how the disks suddenly got wiped.......that call center rep must be thinking that the previous owner had them encrypted and password protected.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

eagle wrote:
    So what's preventing you from calling the OEM Dell?

How does someone at a Microsoft call center know if your company is the original owners of these PC's?

Funny how you never mentioned how the disks suddenly got wiped.......that call center rep must be thinking that the previous owner had them encrypted and password protected.

The situation:

it's a satellite office with a bit of an IT emergency, three desktops and a DC, all needing to be rebuilt (long backstory).

The company has a VLK for Office 2007 Enterprise and Windows XP Professional, but the computers all have OEM XP Pro licenses anyway.

Being a satellite office they didn't have the necessary stuff here, and I started after 1700h without the out-of-hours numbers of the other guys who'd have the necessary info, and they need it working by Monday. I had to use my initiative.

Dell couldnt' help me, I needed their installation discs, and they don't give those out over the Internet.

• User profile image
    Nightengale

This happened where I work as well. Our co paid for a Dell service contract and I spend a lot of time on the phone with the tech rep. I talked them into sending a field tech rep onsite the next business day with an imaged harddrive and motherboard with cpu. They reused the ram chips. He was quick but was a sub to dell so he did his work and took off. The machine was basically reset to factory, and luckily worked well. Also this was during the week. This is beginning to be much more than a pain in the a$$ than it should be to have these computers, o/s, and applications working, unless you pay high prices for whatever varying level of tech support. This type of scenario is happening more an more often in satelite offices like where I work.

• User profile image
    eagle

W3bbo wrote:
     ;a bit of an IT emergency,

You're always having urgent issues......

Had that company upgraded to Windows Vista all this could have been done remotely by a competent IT Pro.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

eagle wrote:

W3bbo wrote:
     ;a bit of an IT emergency,

You're always having urgent issues......

That's the point, a lot of people take crap from loads of companies, come to me as a last resort, and I get things sorted(TM). Smiley

But actually, if you start to look at things you'll see I've only posted about ~5 "urgent" threads in the past 3 years, seriously. Out of how many tens of thousands of posts I've made? So your accusation that I'm "always" having urgent issues is an incorrect one Smiley

eagle wrote:
    Had that company upgraded to Windows Vista all this could have been done remotely by a competent IT Pro.

....you cannot install Windows Vista over the Internet when you're starting out with a blank HDD, and Vista's activation issues are an even bigger PITA than Windows: you don't have to activate VLK versions.

Finally, my main issue was with Office, not Windows. But alas, that's been resolved too. A torrented version of Office 2007 Enterprise accecepted my legit serial key, my guess was that the trial version of Enterprise only wanted Retails keys, not VLK keys.

Alls well that ends well.

Anyway, I really want to see Microsoft ditch VLK/Retail/OEM/Download key disparities.

• User profile image
    j0217995

Why would I want to install torrented versions of MS software in an enterprise environment?  Also why would I admit to using torrented software on a Microsoft owned software. 

I hope that none of the computers I have to support have software from MS that has been installed from something downloaded via a torrent.

I can't imagine duing this

• User profile image
    eagle

W3boo is C9's drama queen, he starts torrenting and then he stops torrenting......rinse and repeat torrenting and not torrenting. 

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

eagle wrote:
    W3boo is C9's drama queen, he starts torrenting and then he stops torrenting......rinse and repeat torrenting and not torrenting. 

How very helpful you are. 

Do you do IT support?

• User profile image
    blowdart

ScanIAm wrote:

eagle wrote:

How very helpful you are. 

Do you do IT support?

No no he's a professional name dropper, sycophant and thread repeater

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.