Coffeehouse Thread

17 posts

GoogleBrowser - What an idea!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jsampsonPC

So I'm sitting here at work, and all of a sudden I wonder "What is Google thinking in regards to a browser." I mean, they've got to be thinking something. Afterall, they rely heavily on browsers today for the vast-majority of their income...seems likely that they would try and get into the browser wars themselves.

I found an article online from 2004 that points out Google purchased www.gbrowser.com in that year, and also hired some ex-microsoft IE-team employees too. Hmm....wonder what the future holds.

I wonder what Google is cooking up...if anything.

Turns out, Adam Kinney knows the fella who went to Google - Joe Beda, of EightyPercent.net

Well, Adam, what is your boy doing!? Smiley

• User profile image
    Rossj

jsampsonPC wrote:
    I wonder "What is Google thinking in regards to a browser."

Firefox.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

That's interesting. It's been two years now...anybody know what these guys are working on!?

• User profile image
    cornelius

they pay firefox 50-70million a year...

firefox == google browser

oh and every page you visit a copy is sent to google (check headers) thanks to the "conveniently" bundled google toolbar which google pay up to 1$ for advertisers who get a sucker to install it or download firefox that comes with the toolbar

to be honest google toolbar should be classed as spyware, but then again, google are the "do no evil" crowd

if microsoft or anyone else did the same stunt there be nurds/geeks screaming murder

• User profile image
    JChung2006

The article you linked predates the 1.0 release of Firefox so naturally speculation was rampant on what sort of plans Google had for browsers back then.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

cornelius wrote:

Where did you get those figures?

• User profile image
    cornelius

2006 earnings

http://www.news.com/8301-13580_3-9802922-39.html

2005 earnings

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-6146791-7.html

what you really taught mozzilla are spending so much effort on Firefox out of goodness of their hearts? lolz

why do you think in last few months safari and new Netscape browsers were released on windows?

theres alot of money in advertising revenue if you have a browser where the search bar happens to be conveniently set to google by "default"

i suspect advertising is the reason microsoft hasn't completely canned IE either

oh and opera has gone free thanks to advertising revenue as well

• User profile image
    prencher

What he's refering to is that google pays a little sumin-sumin to firefox whenever a user searches google using the built-in search box; They get in on the ad-money for ads clicked on the result pages.

It's like those pages that have "search this page, search the web" kind of search setup that just goes to a somewhat customized google.

Mozilla once disclosed that they earn in the $50-$100 mill range for in revenue from the search.

Regarding the toolbar fud: That is only if you install the firefox from the google pack, or from google, or perhaps other people that bundle the fox. By default none of that is there, it has nothing to do with mozilla.

> "what you really taught mozzilla are spending so much effort on Firefox out of goodness of their hearts? lolz"

Yes. It started as an OSS project, it still is, the deal with google didn't happen until much later (it was named phoenix then firebird for quite a while until the name firefox - had to do with name collisions). They also pay and hire quite a few notable contributors to the project. I really don't think you can question the intentions of the mozilla foundation as yet.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

creditcard wrote:

prencher wrote:
    What he's refering to is that google pays a little sumin-sumin to firefox whenever a user searches google using the built-in search box; They get in on the ad-money for ads clicked on the result pages.

It's like those pages that have "search this page, search the web" kind of search setup that just goes to a somewhat customized google.

Mozilla once disclosed that they earn in the $50-$100 mill range for in revenue from the search.

Regarding the toolbar fud: That is only if you install the firefox from the google pack, or from google, or perhaps other people that bundle the fox. By default none of that is there, it has nothing to do with mozilla.

> "what you really taught mozzilla are spending so much effort on Firefox out of goodness of their hearts? lolz"

Yes. It started as an OSS project, it still is, the deal with google didn't happen until much later (it was named phoenix then firebird for quite a while until the name firefox - had to do with name collisions). They also pay and hire quite a few notable contributors to the project. I really don't think you can question the intentions of the mozilla foundation as yet.

Interesting though that Mozilla is actually a developer owned company. Every single dollar they own goes back into development. Their developers are apperently verrrrry well paid. Even regular contributors are often rewarded with some expensive swag.

So then all the money doesn't go back into development, it goes into car payments, mortgages, and swag.

Nice try, tho.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

ScanIAm wrote:
    So then all the money doesn't go back into development, it goes into car payments, mortgages, and swag.

Nice try, tho.

Unless you say that all that stuff supports the development, and makes it possible Smiley

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

cornelius wrote:
    oh and every page you visit a copy is sent to google (check headers) thanks to the "conveniently" bundled google toolbar which google pay up to 1$ for advertisers who get a sucker to install it or download firefox that comes with the toolbar

My Firefox doesn't have the Google toolbar. Never has and is unlikely ever to.

Check your facts before you post them.

• User profile image
    SaraJo

jsampsonPC wrote:

ScanIAm wrote:

Nice try, tho.

Unless you say that all that stuff supports the development, and makes it possible

good point.

having a healthy shoe collection definitly improves my development.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

GoddersUK wrote:

cornelius wrote:

My Firefox doesn't have the Google toolbar. Never has and is unlikely ever to.

Check your facts before you post them.

He didn't say YOU were a sucker Smiley  But google toolbar (and yahoo toolbar and others) come bundled with a lot of software.

God forbid you try and install Adobe Reader or Quicktime without disabling 20 other pieces of crap from installing.  That, and Adobe harrasses you again at every incremental update.

• User profile image
    prencher

ScanIAm wrote:

Nice try, tho.

So rewarding people that have contributed for years, giving them incentives to keep contributing, and offering them jobs to do it full time is NOT putting money back into development? What world do you live in?

But I guess opensource developers can't have cars and houses right, that's reserved for people that work on proprietary applications only?

Go look up Mozilla Foundation and Mozilla Corporation on wikipedia or what have you if you're interested in what they do with the money.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

prencher wrote:

ScanIAm wrote:

Nice try, tho.

So rewarding people that have contributed for years, giving them incentives to keep contributing, and offering them jobs to do it full time is NOT putting money back into development? What world do you live in?

But I guess opensource developers can't have cars and houses right, that's reserved for people that work on proprietary applications only?

Go look up Mozilla Foundation and Mozilla Corporation on wikipedia or what have you if you're interested in what they do with the money.

creditcard wrote:

Interesting though that Mozilla is actually a developer owned company. Every single dollar they own goes back into development. Their developers are apperently verrrrry well paid. Even regular contributors are often rewarded with some expensive swag.

Marketing, sales, swag, whatever.  I'm not discounting their need to eat and have a roof over their head, I'm pointing out that the utopian ideal that I've helpfully highlighted above is false.

Further,
    Mozilla.org wrote:
    The Mozilla Foundation is a California non-profit corporation exempt from Federal income taxation under IRC 501(c)(3).

So, they'd best not be handing out too much swag...

• User profile image
    Escamillo

cornelius wrote:

to be honest google toolbar should be classed as spyware, but then again, google are the "do no evil" crowd

if microsoft or anyone else did the same stunt there be nurds/geeks screaming murder

Yep.
    Google toolbar and now even desktop are installed malware-style, as it's installed on the backs of unrelated software and hardware installations.  I've recently updated my JVM, installed a Roxio video editor, added an external harddrive, updated flash, updated Adobe Reader, and all of them included an "Install Google Toolbar/Google Desktop" step during the install process.  And it used to be that "Google Toolbar" was pre-checked but not "Google Desktop".  But now, both are pre-checked.  I have to wonder how many people accidently installed Google crapware on their computers when installing completely unrelated stuff.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

creditcard wrote:
    Microsoft goal like any public company is (and should be) to be a return on investment, that is, their goal is profit and growth. The way they accomplish this goal is through developing software, and it sure happens that they must (or feel they must) hire developers on a wage to develop software, which in turn increases their profit.

That's always bothered me.  A business is set up to make money, yes, but that doesn't mean that it's run for the sole purpose of making money.  If I like making widgets and people are willing to pay me, does my joy in making widgets stop?  And, if I make the worlds best widget, and I decide to open up my company to other shareholders, do my company goals immediately change from "making the worlds best widgets" to "squeezing every last penny out of my loyal customers"?
    creditcard wrote:

Mozilla Corporation has no shareholders (other then the Mozilla Foundation), and is governed by the fact that they are not allowed even have a profit at all, as you pointed out.

What you are getting confused here is not having a profit is not the same as not having revenue, and not having a profit is not the same as paying employees or contributors. It just means there is no Bill Gates-style billionaire or millionaire on top of the company collecting most (or all) of it's profits for his or her own benefit, but instead the money going back to improve development, if that means paying the employees, compensating contributors, paying for marketing, or what have you.

Which brings back to my belief that F/OSS is based solely on philantropy.  It is a hobby (like arts and crafts) that is done by passionate people, but it is not professional development.  

I don't use the word to demean F/OSS, because the people who form it's most vocal core are the same types of people that got this whole computer thing started.  F/OSS is not 'professional' in the sense that Olympic athletes aren't professional.  They do it based on sponsorship from others.  And it would not survive if it weren't for that support.

Evil M$ could probably run for another decade regardless of how many sales it got.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.