The fastest Vista laptop on the market

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an
  • User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

We all saw this coming, right?

the second I saw the title, I knew it'd be about a Mac Smiley

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    z2bass

Two problems there:

1) PC World is using their benchmarks. Who KNOWS what the heck those are. They might have just given the MacBook and extra point or 10 just because it's a Mac.

2) They might have taken the cheapest notebooks from Toshiba, Dell, etc and the most expensive MacBook they could buy. For example, they have only tested 1 tablet PC in the HISTORY of PC World, a Gateway tablet, which isn't one of the better Tablet PCs on the market.

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

Its funny how you classify Mac as something other than a PC, especially when it runs Windows.

Just say PC... because thats what it is. Apple lost the right to classify their systems differently since they stopped using unique and exclusive/proprietary hardware. [6]

OK... you call it a Macbook Pro and I'll call my laptop a Presario C303NR.

Sorry, I just needed to get that out of me. Smiley

• User profile image
    PaoloM

I have to agree here. Vista on a MacBook just flies, I have no idea what stuff the other OEMs put in their machines, but it must be sticky...

• User profile image
    Bas

I wish Apple made a tablet PC/mactablet/tabletbook/whatever. I'm looking for a decent Vista tablet in the near future, but all the Macbook love stories here make me curious.

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

PaoloM wrote:
    I have to agree here. Vista on a MacBook just flies, I have no idea what stuff the other OEMs put in their machines, but it must be sticky...

Its simple really... Apple PCs dont come bundled with Windows and all the crapware that is normally pre-installed by OEMs, which slow down Windows. When you install Windows on their systems, its a fresh copy with no junk. The registry is clean and there is less HDD fragementation by default.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

creditcard wrote:

Clearly they are different people. Or are they?

No, the Mac Guy now has a multiple-personality disorder.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Xaero_Vincent wrote:

PaoloM wrote:

Its simple really... Apple PCs dont come bundled with Windows and all the crapware that is normally pre-installed by OEMs, which slow down Windows. When you install Windows on their systems, its a fresh copy with no junk. The registry is clean and there is less HDD fragementation by default.

Never ever, NEVER, NEVER work on the preinstalled Windows.

no, no, no, no, ... no..., no..., no..., no..., never, no, no, no, no, no, never... no..., no..., no..., no, no, never ever do that! (noes quoted from "how i met your mother" 3x05 Tongue Out)

• User profile image
    TimP

Xaero_Vincent wrote:
    Its funny how you classify Mac as something other than a PC, especially when it runs Windows.

Just say PC... because thats what it is. Apple lost the right to classify their systems differently since they stopped using unique and exclusive/proprietary hardware.

OK... you call it a Macbook Pro and I'll call my laptop a Presario C303NR.

Sorry, I just needed to get that out of me.

The tailored operating system gives the system its personality. In the 1990s, the Apple Power Mac, BeBox, and IBM RS/6000 all had the same processor (PowerPC 603) in them. They were called Power Macs, BeBoxes (BeBoxen?), and RS/6000s, respectively.

Before that Sun, Apple, NeXT, and more vendors than I can remember used Motorola 68k processors in their machines, but they were all distinct.

While the operating systems rarely crossed hardware boundaries, I can assure you it wasn't for technical reasons.

• User profile image
    AndyC

It may be the fastest, but it still has a broken keyboard and no right mouse button. I'd rather wait for one of those lovely looking Dell tablets thanks.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

AndyC wrote:
    It may be the fastest, but it still has a broken keyboard and no right mouse button. I'd rather wait for one of those lovely looking Dell tablets thanks.

The problem with all modern convertable TPCs is the display hinge. They need to make them stronger to lateral forces.

Anyone got specs on the Dell?

• User profile image
    AndyC

W3bbo wrote:

The problem with all modern convertable TPCs is the display hinge. They need to make them stronger to lateral forces.

Anyone got specs on the Dell?

Well, I've never actually known a tablet break on the hinge, but I know what you mean.

No hard specs on the Dell, but I've got a meeting with them next week during which I'll definitely be trying to get more details (and blagging a demo model if possible!)

• User profile image
    W3bbo

AndyC wrote:
    Well, I've never actually known a tablet break on the hinge, but I know what you mean.

Same here, but the screen hinge is just too weak. I don't get it, my Vaio's hinges are pretty strong and even thinner than my Tecra's.

I think it's the mount which holds the turntable part of the hinge, what other hinge technologies are there they could try for future TPCs?

My personal favorite is the Removable Display demo'd by Toshiba in late 2005, it used a propriety high-speed wireless connection, not just another "Air Display" TS client. Probably kills the battery though.

• User profile image
    AndyC

Asus had a really cool slide out design, which looked interesting. Still not found anything as convenient as the detachable keyboard on a HP TC1100, though I wouldn't want to have to use that keyboard for extended periods of time I'd admit.

• User profile image
    dentaku

littleguru wrote:

no, no, no, no, ... no..., no..., no..., no..., never, no, no, no, no, no, never... no..., no..., no..., no, no, never ever do that! (noes quoted from "how i met your mother" 3x05 )

I love that show.
    I started watching when I saw Alyson Hannigan was on it Wink then I kept watching because it's a good show.

• User profile image
    littleguru

dentaku wrote:

littleguru wrote:

no, no, no, no, ... no..., no..., no..., no..., never, no, no, no, no, no, never... no..., no..., no..., no, no, never ever do that! (noes quoted from "how i met your mother" 3x05 )

I love that show.
    I started watching when I saw Alyson Hannigan was on it  then I kept watching because it's a good show.

I watch it because of her and Neil Patrick Harris (Barny). His role is a...wesome *grin*. Like in 305 when he draws the chart - LOL! Couldn't stop to laugh.

... and now suit up!

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Dude, Im not dumping my new Dell...

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.