Coffeehouse Thread

14 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Oooooh, new events

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

Featuring "that Visual Studio stock photo guy"[1], Microsoft drops me an email informing me of REGIONAL EVENTS!

This is the first time I've heard of this since the "Ready To Launch!" event in November 2005 with the VS2005/SQL2005/BizTalk hat-trick launch.

Let's have a gander at the events:

• Developing on the Windows Live Platform
      • Nah, I'll leave those twerps alone
    • An Introduction to the Microsoft Web Platform
      • Microsoft Web Platform? Can anyone say the return of the 1998-style two-tiered web experience in IE's favour?
    • What's new in Smart Client development?
      • Surprisingly little, methinks. WPF has been out for over a year and WinForms doesn't change much with .NET3.5
    • SQL Server 2008
      • Hello... what's this? A launch event? Don't these go hand-in-hand with Visual Studio launches now?

It's scheduled for the 4th December 2007, which sounds about right for the VS08 launch date. Anyone got more info?

[1]Seen on the VS website, various places in MSDN, the Visual Studio 2005 installer, and this email. Does anyone know who he is? I heard somewhere he might be one of VS's PMs.

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

when we find out the stock photo guy isnt a developer but a professional model, there'll be a scandal.

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

reg'd for the one in Birmingham, 28th Smiley

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Ion Todirel

brian.shapiro wrote:
    when we find out the stock photo guy isnt a developer but a professional model, there'll be a scandal.
    nah, looks like a developer

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Ion Todirel wrote:

brian.shapiro wrote:

Nah, can't be; look at his computer monitor:

• Luna enabled
    • Tiles folder view
    • Folder tasks enabled
    Definately a model, or he might be an MS developer, but he must be one of those "Not Invented Here" types because who else would believe that Tile view is the best way to view a folder's contents?

• User profile image
    Angus

W3bbo wrote:

Ion Todirel wrote:

brian.shapiro wrote:

• Luna enabled
    • Tiles folder view
    • Folder tasks enabled
    Definately a model, or he might be an MS developer, but he must be one of those "Not Invented Here" types because who else would believe that Tile view is the best way to view a folder's contents?

I would expect that the person is a professional model (and the computer [including peripherials {such as the monitor}] is merely theatrical property).

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

W3bbo wrote:

• Luna enabled
    • Tiles folder view
    • Folder tasks enabled

I score 2 out of 3 on that when I'm using XP (I use Luna and have folder tasks enabled), so I'm not a developer?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Sven Groot wrote:

W3bbo wrote:

• Luna enabled
    • Tiles folder view
    • Folder tasks enabled

I score 2 out of 3 on that when I'm using XP (I use Luna and have folder tasks enabled), so I'm not a developer?

Cue sarcastic reference to my elitism? Wink

• User profile image
    JKelley

I've always thought that guy looked a little like Charles.  Smiley

He's probably just a stock photo model though, we see lots of those around here on the walls.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

hey at least this time they used a Windows PC for the computer and not a Mac.

• User profile image
    apwcodemonk​ey

W3bbo wrote:
    Featuring "that Visual Studio stock photo guy"[1], Microsoft drops me an email informing me of REGIONAL EVENTS!

This is the first time I've heard of this since the "Ready To Launch!" event in November 2005 with the VS2005/SQL2005/BizTalk hat-trick launch.

Let's have a gander at the events:

• Developing on the Windows Live Platform
      • Nah, I'll leave those twerps alone
    • An Introduction to the Microsoft Web Platform
      • Microsoft Web Platform? Can anyone say the return of the 1998-style two-tiered web experience in IE's favour?
    • What's new in Smart Client development?
      • Surprisingly little, methinks. WPF has been out for over a year and WinForms doesn't change much with .NET3.5
    • SQL Server 2008
      • Hello... what's this? A launch event? Don't these go hand-in-hand with Visual Studio launches now?

It's scheduled for the 4th December 2007, which sounds about right for the VS08 launch date. Anyone got more info?

[1]Seen on the VS website, various places in MSDN, the Visual Studio 2005 installer, and this email. Does anyone know who he is? I heard somewhere he might be one of VS's PMs.

These are regional MSDN events delivered by the DPE guys from MS UK.  The official launch is not till next year, Feb 27th I believe.

• User profile image
    Chadk

apwcodemonkey wrote:

These are regional MSDN events delivered by the DPE guys from MS UK.  The official launch is not till next year, Feb 27th I believe.

What? Havent the release date always been late november/early december?

nvm: http://www.infoq.com/news/2007/07/visual-studio-launch

• User profile image
    apwcodemonk​ey

Chadk wrote:

apwcodemonkey wrote:

What? Havent the release date always been late november/early december?

nvm: http://www.infoq.com/news/2007/07/visual-studio-launch

The Release To Manufacturing date is likely to be before the end of the year, as is the subsequent release to MSDN subscribers, but the official Worldwide Launch of VS2008, SQL2008 and Server 2008 is not until Feb 27th.

• User profile image
    SaraJo

I wanted to go to the opne in PA but none of the nerds here want to come with Sad

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.