Coffeehouse Thread

16 posts

Does VS deserve its title of Best IDE?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Rossj

    This is an honest question, and I'd appreciate your feedback (although I suspect Sven might pop up and say it works fine for him Wink ).

    When people talk about IDEs, they invariably get to VS and it invariably gets lauded as 'the best IDE out there' - but is this true?

    I have had various painful issues with VS over the last couple of versions - some big and some just niggly that keep irritating me, and when I spoke to a friend today, he claims that 'the best IDE out there' is generally in reference to VS6.

    Is VS really the best IDE available, or is it riddled with lots and lots of annoying bugs that distract developers from doing what they should be?

    I should note VS2005 is reasonably stable for me when
    - My project is not bound to Visual SourceShag
    - Not using WPF

  • User profile image
    littleguru

    Give me something that offers the same functionality (speaking also of speed - eclipse is nice, but slow) but is better...

  • User profile image
    Ray6

    Rossj wrote:
    
    Is VS really the best IDE available, or is it riddled with lots and lots of annoying bugs that distract developers from doing what they should be?


    That would be IntelliJ IDEA ... the IDE from which 95% of the good bits of Eclipse, has been copied.

    IDEA is so clever it is sometimes scary; until I got used it, I often used to stare at the screen thinking:

    'Yeah, that's exactly what I wanted ... but how did YOU know that is exactly what I wanted.'


  • User profile image
    TimP

    Call me stupid, but I had the hardest time (and still cannot figure out) how to import a .def file in Visual C++ Express 2005 to link against a DLL. I searched the web, searched the documentation, and found nothing. I realize there's probably some way to insert a command line flag for the linker, but isn't that what the point of Visual Studio is? On the contrary, when I built it with MinGW I was able to locate the relevant documentation and get it compiled in about 10 minutes.

    I've been out of the IDE scene for a while, text editors with syntax highlighting and makefiles do it for me, but why is something so trivial as linking against a DLL so obfuscated?

  • User profile image
    JChung2006

    Sorry, I just got incredibly distracted by the random notion that the next version of Visual Studio might have the Office Ribbon as its toolbar interface...

  • User profile image
    zian

    creditcard wrote:
    When they first came out with the new Visual Studio IDE (VS.NET ?) I really hated it, it was a fat pig of a program. But the newer versions are faster, but I still think VS needs speed improvements and bloat removal.


    QFT

    Visual Studio feels like an ultimate-do-everything IDE but it feels great when I'm working with pre-existing code.

    I also like NetBeans for Java (which is another do-everything IDE) but it's so very slow to load up (thank goodness for improvements here in NB 6).

    When I want a get-out-of-my-way coding environment, I use Notepad. When I need to grapple with search and replace (especially on large scales), I use a text editor that my brother threw together out of standard Visual Basic 6 controls.

    On second thought, I should try using OneNote for coding because it also saves for me.

  • User profile image
    JosephSpaur - MSFT

    I really like UltraEdit.....

  • User profile image
    die-Sel

    i just came back from my mates house were he was doing some work in vs2005 pro and i noticed he had a Test menu on top top bar ( Were File ; Edit ; View is) and for some reason i dont have it on mine.

    I assume its a plugin he has?

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    zian wrote:
    
    creditcard wrote:
    When they first came out with the new Visual Studio IDE (VS.NET ?) I really hated it, it was a fat pig of a program. But the newer versions are faster, but I still think VS needs speed improvements and bloat removal.


    QFT

    Visual Studio feels like an ultimate-do-everything IDE but it feels great when I'm working with pre-existing code.

    I also like NetBeans for Java (which is another do-everything IDE) but it's so very slow to load up (thank goodness for improvements here in NB 6).

    When I want a get-out-of-my-way coding environment, I use Notepad. When I need to grapple with search and replace (especially on large scales), I use a text editor that my brother threw together out of standard Visual Basic 6 controls.

    On second thought, I should try using OneNote for coding because it also saves for me.


    My main complaints with VS:

    • Debugging performance seems to decrease with every new version. In VC6 and VB6 Step-through performance was nice and snappy. In VS2003 there wasn't much difference between Remote Debugging and Local Debugging, but in VS2005 it's getting more laggy. Conditional breakpoints could also do with some performance enhancements
    • Constantly de-emphasising C++; it's a powerful language and the VCC should be Microsoft's pride and joy (even CSC is written in C++)
    • Otherwise, pretty d├ímned good

  • User profile image
    Custa1200

    VS2005 is actually one of the few apps that I like using in Windowsworld. Maybe it is the fact that I use it all day, and it's a requirement for work but I honestly do like using it.

  • User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

    die-Sel wrote:
    i just came back from my mates house were he was doing some work in vs2005 pro and i noticed he had a Test menu on top top bar ( Were File ; Edit ; View is) and for some reason i dont have it on mine.

    I assume its a plugin he has?


    Are you sure he didn't have VS2005 Team Suite?  It includes unit testing tools out of the box (that aren't included in VS2005 Pro).

    He also could have been running something like TestDriven.NET.

  • User profile image
    typemismatch

    Its the best especially with addons like code rush, if you say otherwise then you haven't used it Tongue Out

  • User profile image
    PerfectPhase

    JosephSpaur - MSFT wrote:
    I really like UltraEdit.....


    Wow, there's a blast from the past, used to use that for Z80 ASM and PIC code....

  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

    Rossj wrote:
    This is an honest question, and I'd appreciate your feedback (although I suspect Sven might pop up and say it works fine for him ).

    VS2005 does have occasional fits where it seems to crash every five minutes on some projects. And I hate it when it goes into "seemingly doing nothing but using 100% CPU" mode.

    Still, I know nothing better. And VS2008 looks to improve on some of the issues.

  • User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

    vs2008 is crashing for me a lot more. but its understood, its in beta

  • User profile image
    JChung2006

    http://weblogs.asp.net/avnerk/archive/2007/09/03/visual-studio-help-launcher-rant.aspx

    How to disable the F1 keyboard shortcut for on-line help in Visual Studio.

    That's one thing about Visual Studio that has sucked for a very, very long time (over a decade).  It's to the point where it could be considered a great feature if they improved the on-line help experience.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.