Coffeehouse Thread

20 posts

And this year's 'smug hypocrisy' award goes to  ....

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ray6

Apple, for leaving that tacky and childish BSOD icon in Leopard, while removing Java6 complaints from their message board, and blaming their own BSOD problems on their users ....

C'mon folks, let's give it up for the boys in Cupertino!

... and Jobs accuses Microsoft of having no class ... Perplexed

• User profile image
    Isshou

But Jobs can do no wrong... right?

Blame should be given to all involved parties (Apple, the users, and developers who utilized things like APE without informing the user).

• User profile image
    Ray6

Isshou wrote:
    But Jobs can do no wrong... right?

Blame should be given to all involved parties (Apple, the users, and developers who utilized things like APE without informing the user).

Logitech apparently. It might explain why some folk who are seeing the problem, don't think they have APE installed. Logitech didn't see fit to mention that they would be hacking the operating system when you bought one of their keyboards ....

I know one Mac fella who has been riding Vista about the driver problems; he's pretty quiet now ...

• User profile image
    TimP

Well I think it's amusing. Smiley

• User profile image
    Ray6

TimP wrote:
    Well I think it's amusing.

Yes it was in the beta .... in the finished product, it's just stroking the fanboys.

Really quite tacky.

• User profile image
    Escamillo

TimP wrote:
    Well I think it's amusing.

Leaving that in the shipping production code is very unprofessional.  Taking a swipe at a 10-year old OS, and actually shipping like that?  That's like Microsoft representing Macs on a network with bomb icons (taking a swipe at Macs as they were 10 years ago) (or using spinning beachball icons, taking a swipe at today's OS X itself).  It's stupid, and shows that Apple isn't being run by grown-ups.

• User profile image
    TimP

This isn't a computer industry phenomenon. I remember Pepsi ads from a few years ago ragging on Coca-Cola, yet Coca-Cola never mentions Pepsi in their ads. Smaller insurance companies like GEICO constantly say how much money you can save over State Farm, but State Farm doesn't mention GEICO by name in their ads.

This is a typical underdog mentality. Either that, or I guess Pepsi, GEICO, and a lot of other companies without leading marketshare are immature too.

• User profile image
    Rossj

I think it is absolutely hilarious that, even though it was a third party component that caused it, Leopard hung for some people on a blue screen - and then this.  I might even stretch to the word 'ironic'.

But yes, it was funny (once) in the seeds, not in the release.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

TimP wrote:

This isn't a computer industry phenomenon. I remember Pepsi ads from a few years ago ragging on Coca-Cola, yet Coca-Cola never mentions Pepsi in their ads. Smaller insurance companies like GEICO constantly say how much money you can save over State Farm, but State Farm doesn't mention GEICO by name in their ads.

This is a typical underdog mentality. Either that, or I guess Pepsi, GEICO, and a lot of other companies without leading marketshare are immature too.

It's still douchebagaristic to leave the BSOD icon in the release.

• User profile image
    stevo_

Ah it's just a little joke.. it's funny.. and I wouldn't worry about it being subtle sabotage.. most computer users won't see a Mac in their general use.. and most will also never see a blue screen..

• User profile image
    corona_coder

Im just so glad I use Linux and am not a mindless slave to corporates like Windows and Mac users.

• User profile image
    Bas

I wonder what the Mac icon on Windows could look like. A turtleneck and beret? A hand with only an index finger? Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

corona_coder wrote:
    Im just so glad I use Linux and am not a mindless slave to corporates like Windows and Mac users.

Be quiet! :#

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

corona_coder wrote:

no you're just part of a cult.

send me an e-mail when you're ready to injest poisoned koolaid with the rest of the group

• User profile image
    SaraJo

tasteless.

• User profile image
    Ray6

corona_coder wrote:

yes, but being just plain 'mindless' is just as bad ....

• User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

corona_coder wrote:

you're late: the "smug hypocrisy" award has already been assigned. you should have posted earlier Sad

• User profile image
    Nitz Walsh

ScanIAm wrote:
    It's still douchebagaristic to leave the BSOD icon in the release.

The thing is, it's not a BSOD - it's an exception error.  You got those in the Win9X series.  As another posted said, it's like showing Macs on a windows network with an OS9 bomb icon.

Nothing wrong with competitors advertising their differences, but this is really stretching it, and it's very poorly timed considering we're talking about an 10-year old OS.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.