Coffeehouse Thread

25 posts

Anybody played the Crysis Demo?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    littleguru

The demo is available since a few days ago! Anybody played it yet? I have heard that you need a monster machine; that nvidia is unable to deliver drivers that work and that SLI isn't working at all...

I have read in a few gamer forums that an 8800 with a higher core 2 duo will do it to play the game with medium details...

I wonder if the performance gets better once they are able to deliver RTM drivers that work with crysis. Right now you need a BETA driver to play it properly. WTF! nvidia - the way it's meant to be played Wink

• User profile image
    the-​laughing-man

lies, damn lies!

I've played the demo for... probably 4-5hrs even though it's only really a 1hr demo if you shoot everyone and everything in it Tongue Out

I'm on an E6600 and an 8800GTX and I have everything set to Very High (DX10) with 16Q AA, running with the current non-beta Forceware driver.

I get really good frame rates, I don't actually know how good they are but it's excellent. The only issue I have with it is that at the moment when I run into enemies as soon as they shoot me and I take that first hit for some reason the entire game seems to drop to about half frame rates and it all becomes a bit jittery but still playable.

After all it's only beta so I'm assuming this'll all be fixed when it's released, they've got a few days to get it sorted Wink

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

I played it too...I have a Core 2 Duo and an 8800GTX Graphics card with 2 gigs of ram...it put me on MEDIUM! I love the game, but it sucked having to play it on medium.

• User profile image
    mawcc

I played it on a Pentium D 3GHz, 8800GTS with 640MB and 2GB RAM on medium quality with 1600x1050 (no AA). It's fast enough, but I really wanted to upgrade my CPU to a Core 2 Duo. 

Unfortunately I learned that my motherboard doesn't support Core 2 CPUs - of course only after I bought a Core 2 E4500, put it in and failed to boot up my computer again [C]

• User profile image
    the-​laughing-man

jsampsonPC wrote:
    I played it too...I have a Core 2 Duo and an 8800GTX Graphics card with 2 gigs of ram...it put me on MEDIUM! I love the game, but it sucked having to play it on medium.

Well that's odd as hell! I know one of the devs said it was very CPU heavy though, are you on a lower model than me?

When I auto scanned mine it auto set me to Very High, I'm running it on 1440x900 if that makes any great difference?

• User profile image
    Bas

Is it actually fun? I played Far-Cry, and while it looked awesome, it was also boring as hell.

• User profile image
    Island Dog

I'm going to download it and give it a try. 

• User profile image
    the-​laughing-man

Bas wrote:
    Is it actually fun? I played Far-Cry, and while it looked awesome, it was also boring as hell.

Yeah it's a real snooze fest, I only play for the music!

• User profile image
    mawcc

Bas wrote:

It's more a sandbox style kind of game (like Far Cry). Other games give you lot's of scripted sequences and guide you from scene to scene, whereas this game puts you in a large area, gives you a goal and lets you decide how to reach it. Some like this approach, some don't.

• User profile image
    dentaku

I finished it last night. My E6700/8800GTS-640MB system was set to High.
    At first I thought it was impossible but then I got used using all the new features in the game and it became much better. I love how you can attack a situation in many different ways.

To display framerates, press ~ and type r_DisplayInfo = 1

I was amazed at how playable it was when it would go down to framerates as low as 13 or 14 FPS. That would be useless in most games.
    Of course I had AA set to 16 and resolution to 1280X960.

I'm going to try it with the motion blur off and a lower resolution and see what it takes to gt a 30FPS average.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

dentaku wrote:
    I'm going to try it with the motion blur off and a lower resolution and see what it takes to gt a 30FPS average.

I've noticed that AA is the real FPS killer. When you run at high-resolutions you don't tend to notice aliasing anyway.

• User profile image
    the-​laughing-man

W3bbo wrote:

I've noticed that AA is the real FPS killer. When you run at high-resolutions you don't tend to notice aliasing anyway.

apparently they've removed AA from the new Unreal Tournament as they know most people are playing as resolutions so high it doesn't matter?

I forget where I read that

Edit:

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/10/15/ut3-finally-gets-fps-smackdown

I barely notice it, in FPS that fast it looks good enough for me!

• User profile image
    stevo_

the-laughing-man wrote:
    lies, damn lies!

I've played the demo for... probably 4-5hrs even though it's only really a 1hr demo if you shoot everyone and everything in it

I'm on an E6600 and an 8800GTX and I have everything set to Very High (DX10) with 16Q AA, running with the current non-beta Forceware driver.

I get really good frame rates, I don't actually know how good they are but it's excellent. The only issue I have with it is that at the moment when I run into enemies as soon as they shoot me and I take that first hit for some reason the entire game seems to drop to about half frame rates and it all becomes a bit jittery but still playable.

After all it's only beta so I'm assuming this'll all be fixed when it's released, they've got a few days to get it sorted

No freaking way..

I run a E6850, and a 8800GTX.. I'm running high settings, at 1280x800.. but as soon as I go up anymore resolution.. or move the AA any higher than 0, my framerate is instantly crippled...

• User profile image
    Jason Cox

I've played the demo after about 24 hours of wanting to take a baseball bat to EA's headquarters because what they shipped to pre-order customers apparenrtly they forgot to test on Vista x64... I finally got it running after I had a friend send me the exe from the non-DRM'd demo and it plays like a dream- on low settings...

Oh well, I guess its time to upgrade to a 8800GT. Well, that means I need a new PSU and what-the-hey, might as well get a new CPU as well! High settings here I come!

• User profile image
    the-​laughing-man

like I say general running around seems alright but once it gets into a shoot out and there are people moving around on my screen I lose about half of it.

I have had a few MASSIVE lags when using grenades where the whole screen gets stopped for a few seconds and suddenly it starts up again and I have a wall in my face but generally it seems OK

Is there any way to get it to show FPS in the demo so I can give you something definite?

EDIT:

I downloaded fraps and gave it a go, seems AA was off and everything was at very high and it was running at around 20fps Embarassed

I'd only really tried switching between high, very high and varying levels of AA before which there doesn't seem to be a massive difference between, as I moved it down to medium though the fps jumped through the roof!

• User profile image
    dentaku

W3bbo wrote:

dentaku wrote:

I just tried out a bunch of settings and at 1152X864 with no AA I get 30fps average with everything set to high except for Object Quality which is always set to medium and Post Processing set to medium because it turns off the distracting motion blur.

Turning on any AA drops it by 10 to 15 fps. For some reason it doesn't matter if it's only 4XAA or 16XAA.

I noticed that Unreal Tournament 3 doesn't have any AA settings but like someone here already said, just cranking up the resolution cancels out the need for AA. I just set it to 1600X1200 and it looks good. Unfortunately is also very difficult Smiley
    The strange thing is that I can play HL2-EP2 or Portal at 1280X960 with AA on and the framerates are nice. Valve has always been good at making games that work well on all kinds of hardware. Crytec likes to make games that show off new technology knowing that it will torture current hardware but will still look great with future hardware. Both tactics are valid and I respect both their decisions.

I'm surprised at how well Crysis plays at low framerates actually.

• User profile image
    the-​laughing-man

I love what Crytek have done here but sadly they have priced themselves out of the market, just my opinion.

I never much liked Half Life as a series but I have an amazing amount of respect for the Source Engine, it scales so well, it's simply a work of art.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

In general AA (or increasing resolution) just adds work for the GPU, not the CPU. So if your game is bottlenecked by the CPU using AA or not makes barely any difference. This is the case with FSX on my machine, turning AA on doesn't affect framerates much at all, and it looks so much better.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.