Coffeehouse Thread

46 posts

The JPEG group approved HD Photo as a new standard

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Andrei P

Back in March I wrote a story on how JPEG is likely to get replaced by HD Photo. I had no idea I'd be so right Smiley

Today the Joint Photographic Experts Group approved the HD Photo format as JPEG XR, a new standard that's going to replace the current JPEG in about an year.

I wrote a C# tutorial on how to create your lil app to convert JPEG/PNG/GIF to HD Photo with only a few lines of code. But that's because it's supported by .NET 3.0. For everything else you can get the SDK from Microsoft.

• User profile image
    LaBomba

How much are those camera's gonna cost though?

General public affordable?

• User profile image
    kettch

LaBomba wrote:

How much are those camera's gonna cost though?

General public affordable?

I don't see any reason why they should cost any different than other cameras.

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

But will it be a fully platform independent standard like JPEG-2000?

• User profile image
    DigitalDud

Xaero_Vincent wrote:

No, JPEG 2000 is truly independent of any platform, because its not on any platform. Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Rossj

DigitalDud wrote:

Xaero_Vincent wrote:

No, JPEG 2000 is truly independent of any platform, because its not on any platform.

Except OSX

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Let's hope it will get more adopted than JPEG2000 ever was.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

all cameras those days sucks, i wont buy one if it doen't have Wi-Fi Tongue Out

• User profile image
    dentaku

I tried out the Photoshop filter the second I found out about it and I'm very impressed. I hope it doesn't get rejected by the annoying conspiracy theorists that will not like it because of MS's involvement.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

ZippyV wrote:

Why is HD Photo better than JPEG2000?

Is this another case of Not Invented Here by Microsoft?

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

Smaller footprint in regards to memory and computation, but with similar results.

• User profile image
    Ray6

Great.

Now my new camera is yesterday's model ... Perplexed

• User profile image
    Ray6

dentaku wrote:
    I tried out the Photoshop filter the second I found out about it and I'm very impressed. I hope it doesn't get rejected by the annoying conspiracy theorists that will not like it because of MS's involvement.

Well, the 'everything MS says or does is evil' crowd seem to hold a lot of sway at the moment ...

• User profile image
    Bas

W3bbo wrote:

ZippyV wrote:

http://blogs.msdn.com/billcrow/archive/2006/10/20/msu-evaluates-windows-media-photo-vs-jpeg-2000.aspx

• User profile image
    Escamillo

Xaero_Vincent wrote:

http://blogs.msdn.com/billcrow/archive/2007/07/31/industry-standardization-for-hd-photo.aspx
    Bill Crow wrote:
    Our goal is that HD Photo becomes JPEG XR, an open standard under the complete control of the JPEG Committee, with royalty-free rights to all required patents granted by Microsoft. Microsoft is actively participating with the JPEG Committee to produce a complete and detailed technical specification enabling anyone to create implementations in any programming language, on any platform and under a wide variety of business models.

• User profile image
    DigitalDud

W3bbo wrote:

Is this another case of Not Invented Here by Microsoft?

It is very simple to implement on digi cam hardware, whereas JPEG 2000 most certainly is not.

• User profile image
    TimP

This is a little concerning:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_Photo#Licensing

You can use our implementation as long as you don't use it in GPL software. Not going to win a lot of OSS fans with that. As long as Microsoft doesn't pull the same stunt on the specification itself, then OSS folks can write their own. Otherwise I guess it'll have to be reverse engineered like NTFS, SMB, and the ever growing list.

• User profile image
    stevo_

Well, it is stated the spec is open as well as the implementation sample..

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.