Coffeehouse Thread

28 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

What happened to Madeline Mcann?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

What do you thinks happened to her? Nobody can really say much, but what do you all think happened to her?

It doesn't have to be based or anything, I'm just wondering.

Its horrible what happened, but it just seems too messed up to me, to make a decision. Of course, you can rarely believe anything the media says, but still..

Opinions?

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

She's either:

• Dead
    • In a brothel in South East Asia
    • In a basement hideaway
    TBH I never really cared, her parents courted the media perfectly, the rest was easy, after all she's:

• White
    • Blond
    • A child
    • Middle class
    • Not ugly
    A key formula, tying in perfectly with the Great Paedophile Scare of the early 00s.

I doubt it'll ever be solved, her parents should give up now in lieu of any actual evidence suggesting she (or her body) is reachable.

• User profile image
    Angus

It was bad to bring the whole issue into the public domain (to such a large degree [I believe]).

If a person was holding the child (due to a kidnap [although this is not certainly the case]), would they not merely kill it (as they would know that many, many people were searching for the child)?

I have never been interested in the issue.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    Minh

W3bbo is seriously starting to creep me out... Tongue Out

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Minh wrote:
    W3bbo is seriously starting to creep me out...

Definately, is it because:

• I'm so good?
    • I'm so great?
    • I'm creepy?
    Pondering the last thought, I realised that using bullet-points is:

• A very effective means of conveying information
    • Repetitive
    • A stark reminder of Death by PowerPoint

• User profile image
    ManipUni

Dead. Parents likely did it.

But time will tell. But the chances of her being alive is like insanely small no matter how much money they spend looking.

PS - Agree with the White+Blond etc comment above.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Angus wrote:
    It was bad to bring the whole issue into the public domain (to such a large degree [I believe]).

If a person was holding the child (due to a kidnap [although this is not certainly the case]), would they not merely kill it (as they would know that many, many people were searching for the child)?

I have never been interested in the issue.

Angus Higgins

I think 'she' is the pronoun you are looking for : she was a person, not an object.

Personally, I believed she was already dead from the moment I first heard the story.

I also agree with W3bbo's 'white + middle class + pretty' comments : the media has always been bias about such things.

It is every parent's nightmare and it makes my heart go cold whenever I think about it.

Herbie

• User profile image
    Sabot

W3bbo wrote:
    She's either:

• Dead
    • In a basement hideaway
    TBH I never really cared, her parents courted the media perfectly, the rest was easy, after all she's:

• White
    • Blond
    • A child
    • Middle class
    • Not ugly
    A key formula, tying in perfectly with the Great Paedophile Scare of the early 00s.

I doubt it'll ever be solved, her parents should give up now in lieu of any actual evidence suggesting she (or her body) is reachable.

I think you missed the point and the titles the clue.

It's the mystery of the story that is the biggest draw. It's the constant dripping of dribs and drabs of news as the story unfolds, with the gripping twists and turns.

Race and Class are actually incident in this story. Media like to pander to stereotypes and love good visuals because it sells. Background has nothing to do with it, a cute kid is what it's all about, Damilola Taylor story proved that. 

Just like putting Diana's picture on the cover of a paper, the little girl's picture now has the same effect.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

W3bbo wrote:

Minh wrote:
    W3bbo is seriously starting to creep me out...

Definately, is it because:

• I'm so good?
    • I'm so great?
    • I'm creepy?
    Pondering the last thought, I realised that using bullet-points is:

• A very effective means of conveying information
    • Repetitive
    • A stark reminder of Death by PowerPoint

Over-using bullet-points, while annoying, is still less annoying than that bracket-stuff that Angus insists on using despite half the people on this forum telling him it's stupid, pointless, confusing and difficult to read.

• User profile image
    Rossj

Interestingly you don't hear much about the kidnapped young american girl that the privately hired detectives found in Nortern Morocco whilst looking for Madeleine.

It is too easy to assume she is not alive, when there is a wealth of evidence to suggest that lots of children *are* kidnapped each year.

140,000 kids go missing in the UK each year.  Sure some of them of their own accord but not all.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Rossj wrote:
    Interestingly you don't hear much about the kidnapped young american girl that the privately hired detectives found in Nortern Morocco whilst looking for Madeleine.

Wait, what?

• User profile image
    Rossj

W3bbo wrote:

Rossj wrote:

Wait, what?

Following up reports of a blond kid, found an English speaking one that wasn't Madeleine. I know you think that the whole media frenzy is a little over the top, but it raises a bigger issue, and one that needs to be addressed - some kids *are* kidnapped.

• User profile image
    Ray6

W3bbo wrote:
    She's either:

• Dead
    • In a basement hideaway

The other possibility is that she has ended up with a some family and is being well cared for, even though she is being held illegally.

W3bbo wrote:

• White
    • Blond
    • A child
    • Middle class
    • Not ugly

All true. But I'm certainly not going to hold it against her parents using that to help find their kid.

Lots of kids go missing like this and as RossJ has already said, any efforts to highlight this can only help.

W3bbo wrote:

Would I be correct in assuming that you are not a parent?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Ray6 wrote:
    Would I be correct in assuming that you are not a parent?

Correct, but you didn't assume far enough Wink I'm a total misanthrope. Smiley

• User profile image
    blowdart

Ray6 wrote:

All true. But I'm certainly not going to hold it against her parents using that to help find their kid.

But I do hold it against social services that they're too cowardly to intervene. If it had been some chav single mother than left her children in a room then went down the pub they'd have the other kids in care by now. But the McCanns, and their publicity courting stopped any notion of this.

Ray6 wrote:

Lots of kids go missing like this and as RossJ has already said, any efforts to highlight this can only help.

It really hasn't.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

blowdart wrote:
    But I do hold it against social services that they're too cowardly to intervene. If it had been some chav single mother than left her children in a room then went down the pub they'd have the other kids in care by now. But the McCanns, and their publicity courting stopped any notion of this.

The explanation offered by the McCanns was reasonable enough, they checked in on them every 15 minutes, it's not like they were under 2 and at risk of cot-death or anything.

My parents said they did the same thing when I was at a similar age.

• User profile image
    Rossj

The parents behaviour was stupid and reckless, but I think they are suffering enough for their stupidity - do you not?

Besides, the important thing is the fate of a small girl, not the parents.

• User profile image
    blowdart

W3bbo wrote:

blowdart wrote:

The explanation offered by the McCanns was reasonable enough, they checked in on them every 15 minutes, it's not like they were under 2 and at risk of cot-death or anything

Except they didn't. They lied to the spanish police about the frequency at first.

And it's not reasonable to my mind when the hotel had a baby sitting service.

And anyone that asks haven't they been punished enough? Really? So if, for example, a mugger breaks a leg whilst beating someone about the head, well, let's let them off?

It's not even about them; it's about the two other kids. As I said before if there wasn't a media circus and they weren't middle class the other kids would have been in care by now. And with good reason.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.