Coffeehouse Thread

25 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

W3bbo's off to Cali?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

Because I write for a major PC entertainment website (a member of News Corportation) I've been invited off for a 3-day (sometimes 5-day in case of people from Europe) all expenses paid trip to a certain multi-billion dollar computer entertainment company Los Angeles.

After I was told of my invite I kinda quivvered.  (as you do).

But I guess this is my counter to all the kids I rivalled back in primary school, the ones who got to be on various saturday morning TV shows, or hand out awards at shows no-one cared about.

It looks like I may be in LA from the 4th to the 8th (but don't count the 4th, 7th, or 8th since I'd be flying those days).

Whilst I've flown (almost) non-stop from Amsterdam to Hong Kong, the flight from Manchester (or London) to LA would be the longest one for 11 years, and I'm a terrible flyer, and the fact I'm heading towards the US doesn't help.

Still, nothing's absolutely confirmed... but if anyone's interested in meeting up or anything (Charles and the MacBU?) let me know.

• User profile image
    eagle

I'll email Paris and Britney that your coming.....

• User profile image
    the-​laughing-man

just take some sleeping pills and have some vodka on the flight Smiley

• User profile image
    Nightengale

Drink lots of beer:D

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

LA sucks.  SF bay area is better.

• User profile image
    jamie

post pics Wink

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

I've only flown to the USA once (a couple of years ago) and was lucky enough to get business class (it was for business, after all).
    Even so, it sucked.  Long flights are always unpleasant.

If there's in-flight entertainment, lose yourself in that. I think I managed four films in succession from London to Newark.

And if you do find yourself suffering from jet-lag, get into the sunlight -- it resets your body-clock (pituitary gland is controlled by sunlight through the eyes, producing melatonin when there's no sun).

Herbie

• User profile image
    figuerres

W3bbo wrote:
    Because I write for a major PC entertainment website (a member of News Corportation) I've been invited off for a 3-day (sometimes 5-day in case of people from Europe) all expenses paid trip to a certain multi-billion dollar computer entertainment company Los Angeles.

After I was told of my invite I kinda quivvered.  (as you do).

But I guess this is my counter to all the kids I rivalled back in primary school, the ones who got to be on various saturday morning TV shows, or hand out awards at shows no-one cared about.

It looks like I may be in LA from the 4th to the 8th (but don't count the 4th, 7th, or 8th since I'd be flying those days).

Whilst I've flown (almost) non-stop from Amsterdam to Hong Kong, the flight from Manchester (or London) to LA would be the longest one for 11 years, and I'm a terrible flyer, and the fact I'm heading towards the US doesn't help.

Still, nothing's absolutely confirmed... but if anyone's interested in meeting up or anything (Charles and the MacBU?) let me know.

if you get time take a flight to Sacramento, that's Californa, LA is just a big mess...

before I moved to FL a flight between the two was about 99 bucks and it was a 1 hour trip.

the state capital building, the park around it etc...

go west from sac and you are in the wine country, go east and your at stateline and Lake Tahoe

or go up the coast , up near Crescent City is the Jedediah Smith state forest, in the old Star Wars flicks that was the "Forest moon of Endor" very green, very rugged.
    just a few of the places to see ....

• User profile image
    PeterF

When your flight is in the morning, try to stay awake the whole night before. That way you get a head start of the jetlag...
    Try also melatonine pills and take them at the time it's getting dark at the time of your destination.
    Don't forget ear plugs so you can sleep without interuption.

Good flight, don't forget Venice Beach and Santa Monica, maybe even Disney World

I've been there for WinHec this year, Los Angeles is nothing like Seattle but you sure can have some fun there.

Have a good flight,
    Peter

• User profile image
    Johnny​Awesome

@DoomBringer: That is spot on. I live in San Francisco and it is one of the few cities I have lived in when I complete a vacation I really look forward to returning home. The bay area is a great place.

However, like many residents in Northern California or "Norcal" we really feel disconnected from the southern portion of the state. It is a different world there. Different values, poor air quality, and way too much traffic and cars.

I also lived and did my first undergrad degree in Sacramento, so I can attest to figuerres' description of Sacramento. It is a lovely town albeit still a "small" one by most state capitol standards.

The only part of LA I really like is Santa Monica and if the weather is good a walk along the beach and boardwalk is a must.

Good luck!!

• User profile image
    Larsenal

I grew up near San Francisco (the Bay Area) but now live in North Los Angeles.  While I do enjoy SF much more as a city, LA has its own nice spots.

+1 for Santa Monica.  The drive up through Malibu is pretty nice as well.

Keep me apprised of any meet-ups.  Would be fun.

• User profile image
    defstream

Im at the FIM BH office, stop by and say howdy   

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

There are nice places to visit in LA, it just depends if you're interested in those things

For instance you might want to visit the Getty Center, if you're interested at all in art. Even though the galleries aren't that huge they have nice paintings and its a pleasant setting with a nice view and gardens. If you're interested in modern art you can visit MOCA. Its not as interesting to visit though, unless they have an interesting exhibition.

Usually their exhibitions are just pretentious. Right now they have something OK on Takashi Murakami.Downtown, right near MOCA are Little Tokyo and Chinatown. Chinatown in LA is about as dirty dumpy as Chinatown in any city, but has some really good restaurants, including good Vietnamese restaurants, since there's a large Vietnamese population there. Olvera Street is there too, but its filled with a lot of kitsch vendors.

If you ever want to tour downtown, there are some dumpy areas, there are also cleaner areas. The historic districts also have a lot of art deco architecture built in the 30s-40s.

A recent attraction in LA is Pinkberry, a frozen yogurt place started by Korean immigrants, which was so popular people got parking tickets just so they could go there, and which is inspiring a lot of knockoffs. They  were opening another store in Little Tokyo, I'm not sure if its open yet.

Someone mentioned Beverly Hills is nice. Well, OK, its a nice enough area with nice looking buildings, but its only nice if you want to go into expensive shops and buy expensive clothing. Besides that there's nothing really there. And Santa Monica is just nice for having a shopping strip at Third Street, an overcrowded beach (with a memorial to dead soldiers in Iraq), and a cotton candy carnivalesque pier with an arcade room, some rides, and some cheap fast food. If you like that stuff.

To whoever suggested Sacremento, there are plenty of wineries south of San Francisco in Napa, Sonoma and Mendocino. There are also wineries south of Los Angeles and N. of San Diego in Temecula and San Pasqual. All of these cities also have large parks. So I'm not sure what you think Sacremento really has thats unique, though I've never been there. Plus for someone who is interested in tech, W3bb0 would probably be better off visiting SF, so he could take a detour to Palo Alto, and also a detour to visit Scoble and knock the (I need to watch my language) out of him.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Speaking of long-distance flights, I really can't wait for the Boeing 787 Dreamliner. If it delivers even half of what the marketing message says it'll be an enormous improvement.

• It's quieter.
    • Actively counters turbulence for a smoother ride.
    • More roomy, even in economy class.
    • Has higher cabin pressure.
    • Higher air humidity (400% higher).
    • More frequent air purification.
    • Special LED lighting simulates day/night cycle to help reduce jetlag.
    • Bigger windows (possible thanks to the all-composite airframe).
    • Instead of shutters, the windows can be electronically tinted.

The Airbus A380 might be the biggest, but the 787 sounds like the one I actually want to fly in. Not to mention the 787 looks a lot cooler too (not that hard since the A380 is ugly imho, even the 747 looks better than the A380).

• User profile image
    Sabot

I'm not a fan of LA either, it didn't leave a good impression on me. At the end of my trip I was wondering why anybody would want to live there? I found that the nicer area's were outside of the city.

I have to agree that SF is a complete contrast. However, I would still rather live in Sussex! Is there a cooler city than Brighton?

As for long-haul flights, I used to hate them as well and I did plenty of them, now I don't. Like many people I used techniques such as Lou Tice to conquer anxiety. It's not voodoo it's just good science.

Other things that I found really help are,
    Avoiding stimulants i.e. coffee, tea, cigerettes.
    Don't have an empty stomach.
    Drink lots of water, but drink it little and often.
    Drink a Horlicks at the beginning of the flight to relax you.
    Take your shoes off (but wear thick socks to stop your feet getting cold)
    Wear comfortable clothing

If you are flying BA or Virgin there is a 23 kilo weight restriction on each item of baggage from today. This is going to be a nightmare!

• User profile image
    Tensor

Sabot wrote:

Is there a cooler city than Brighton?

Actually my memories of brighton from about 4 years ago are;

The sea front smells of wee.
    The aquarium is stupidly expensive and a bit rubbish.

W3bbo - enjoy your trip!

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

don't you watch Air Crash Investigation series?

good luck dude, watch the engines Smiley

• User profile image
    irascian

I'm with Tensor when it comes to Brighton.

LA is weird, but it's possible to have a good time there once you get over all the beautiful wannabe's with cell phones clamped to their heads at every bar and restauarant.

Make sure you do at least one of the film studio tours. If you do the Universal tour pay the extra for the VIP tour that actually lets you out and about and takes you onto a sound stage and to where they're editing movies. For less of a "patronising" approach to how movie are made I'd recommend the Warner Brothers tour but unlike Universal you have to book this well in advance (from memory I think they're only availabe on Fridays) - you can do it over the net.

Ian

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.