Coffeehouse Thread

25 posts

So I gave Linux another go the weekend

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Lee_Dale

What a waste of time, I gave up on Linux a while back when I tried a few different distros and none of them supported my built in wireless network card.

Anyway I installed ubuntu on the same laptop at the weekend, yeah it all worked lovely I even managed to connect to my wireless network.

Things were looking up for Linux on the desktop I thought until I connected my external 19" widescreen monitor.

Do you think I could get the dam thing to support 1400x900 widescreen?

I spent a couple of hours in the terminal window using vi to edit xorg.conf files and the like. I used the ncurses interface for setting up my devices I tried everything but couldn't get it to work.

Yeah the linux guys might say I was too incompetant blah blah and I admit I'm no linux guru, but should it really be this hard to get an external monitor to work?  Even if I did get it to work, the extended desktop wouldnt have worked either so what was the point?

A complete waste of time IMO and absolute years behind Windows and OS X.

Sorry I needed a rant about it lol!

• User profile image
    Massif

Heh... I connected my TV to my Vista laptop the other day...

It was terrible! I had to choose between mirroring the laptop's screen... Or adding another screen.

If only I'd had to hack some random text file instead, it would have been so much easier to get the needed 1378 by 763 (or whatever the damn stupid 720p resolution translates to in PC resolutions.) As it was i had to trust that windows had automatically detected everything correctly.

As it was I got lucky and everything worked absolutely flawlessly, but as it's automatically remembered my settings if I decide to use a different system I have no idea how I'll change them. If only I'd been using linux!

(note to people lacking a sense of humour: sod off)

• User profile image
    Rossj

leeappdalecom wrote:

I spent a couple of hours in the terminal window using vi to edit xorg.conf files and the like. I used the ncurses interface for setting up my devices I tried everything but couldn't get it to work.

Don't mean to ask a stupid question, but I will - you did try the "Screen and Graphics" dialog first didn't you?

• User profile image
    j0217995

I was at the Ubuntu Developers Summit in Boston last week, great time, but anyways there was a session on multiple monitor support that  I didn't get a chacne to attend due to conflicts, but they are doing some further work on multiple monitor support for 8.04

• User profile image
    JChung2006

Isn't the standard widescreen resolution 1440x900, not 1400x900?  Or is there even a standard for such things?

• User profile image
    ZippyV

I downloaded Ubuntu's latest version last week.
    When I click Enter to boot it my screen turns blank and stays blank.

Nice, and I'm not the only one according to the forums.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

creditcard wrote:

The difference though is I took more effort to solve the problems I have. Your lucky you even had a video, let alone being able to plug in a second monitor. I've installed Linux on machines where X blew up on my face. I had X blow on my face *on* an installed system. But I never really said this crap sucks and went back to using Windows exclusively. I figured out what went wrong and I fixed it. Because for me this is a learning expirence and I don't have very much to learn using Windows.

Now I can feel confident enough to go to job interview for "Windows Administrator", or "Linux Administrator". Or "J2EE Developer" or ".NET Developer".

Really the less people that discover Linux the more I can use my expirence to my advantage. So I don't know if all this "Linux needs to overtake Windows" is such a good thing. In the world of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Yes we should all be lucky that we can do a basic function that computers have been doing for years Expressionless

True, I just had a Dell GX270 die on me and the graphics were shot before it died and it was running Ubuntu, however when push comes to shove we use our computers to make our lives easier, otherwise I would drive to my bank and pull out money and drive to pay my bills...[C]

Some people don't have time to mess with Linux and learn how to fix things, especially if it worked and then stopped for some reason.

• User profile image
    Lee_Dale

JChung2006 wrote:
    Isn't the standard widescreen resolution 1440x900, not 1400x900?  Or is there even a standard for such things?

Sorry yes your right, thats the res I meant.

• User profile image
    Lee_Dale

Rossj wrote:

Don't mean to ask a stupid question, but I will - you did try the "Screen and Graphics" dialog first didn't you?

Yep sure did, it was useless. Even though it recognised my video card and my laptop monitor I couldnt get it to display 1400x900 properly on my external monitor.

It would go into 1400x900 mode but would not fill the whole screen for some reason.  I even tried entering my monitors hsync and vsync settings direct which didn't change much Sad

Really wanted to try out Ubuntu and compiz fusion but I just can't deal with my monitor not working Sad

• User profile image
    Lee_Dale

Also one more thing, I read in one forum that if Linux didn't detect my hsync and vsync values properly it could kill my monitor ???

I got worried at that point and gave up trying Perplexed

• User profile image
    Lee_Dale

creditcard wrote:
    Give Grandma a Windows XP disc, a computer with no OS, and tell her to get it to a working state. It's going to be difficult I think for computer newbies to install and configure operating system regardless of which it is.

You are pretty much like Grandma, maybe a bit more technicial, but if all you have been using is Windows you have no clue how to get things done in Linux. Especially if you have been using Windows for a decade or more, it will take you years to reach parity in Linux. I've been using Linux nearly fulltime for 2 years and I am still a newb compared to many people, and I know much more about Windows then Linux still.

The difference though is I took more effort to solve the problems I have. Your lucky you even had a video, let alone being able to plug in a second monitor. I've installed Linux on machines where X blew up on my face. I had X blow on my face *on* an installed system. But I never really said this crap sucks and went back to using Windows exclusively. I figured out what went wrong and I fixed it. Because for me this is a learning expirence and I don't have very much to learn using Windows.

Now I can feel confident enough to go to job interview for "Windows Administrator", or "Linux Administrator". Or "J2EE Developer" or ".NET Developer".

Really the less people that discover Linux the more I can use my expirence to my advantage. So I don't know if all this "Linux needs to overtake Windows" is such a good thing. In the world of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

I use OS X and Windows 50/50 so I not new to a unix environment and I've been playing around with Linux for years on and off, I've even read a few books on it but just never had time to get properly into it. I understand how to use bash and vi and how certain things work in Linux so I wouldn't say I'm grandma as you put it Cool

I could have probably spent another few hours getting it to work, and if I'm honest when I get some time I probably will but why should I have to. 

My point is if Linux on the desktop is to be taken seriously people shouldn't have to spend hours in the terminal window messing around with config files.

• User profile image
    andokai

I had a similar problem with Suse 10.3 until I installed the correct Nvidia drivers which gave me a nice utility whe auto-detected and setup my screens. The existing Gnome dialogs were complete crap, they just let me set my resolution lower. I mean why are they there if they don't work? That said, besides this issue Suse was great.

• User profile image
    k2t0f12d

andokai wrote:
    The existing Gnome dialogs were complete crap, they just let me set my resolution lower. I mean why are they there if they don't work?

The GUI resolution tool is only a dialog and goes strictly by what has been made available in your config; it neither sets up nor rewrites your config for you. Other resolutions become available in either GNOME or KDE depending on what is written in your config, and the capabilities of your hardware.

• User profile image
    Royal​Schrubber

Rossj wrote:

leeappdalecom wrote:

Lol, that dialog is joke - for me it displays 85Hz framerate while it's obviously that X is generats 60Hz. Perplexed
    Probably they won't ever fix this issue because CRTs are getting out of fashion quickly and for LCDs it's relatively unimportant factor. 
    (I will replace my 19" CRT, but first I have to go over trauma of selecting right LCD panel - I had 22" widescreen but it had bad pixel -> grrrr..)

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

I've gotten that resolution to work but it required hacking the video BIOS on my Intel controller (945GM) with 915resolution. However, I think the problem is fixed in newer Xorgs and so 915resolution is no longer necessary.

My laptop is running Vista now, maybe I'll split free space into another partition someday and see.

• User profile image
    andokai

k2t0f12d wrote:
    The GUI resolution tool is only a dialog and goes strictly by what has been made available in your config; it neither sets up nor rewrites your config for you. Other resolutions become available in either GNOME or KDE depending on what is written in your config, and the capabilities of your hardware.

I'm aware of how it works. It doesn't make it any more useful.

• User profile image
    k2t0f12d

andokai wrote:
    I'm aware of how it works. It doesn't make it any more useful.

I beg pardon, but it is self-evident you dont have the foggiest clue how it works.  If you had, you wouldn't have bothered complaining about a service you already knew it didn't possess and have gone directly to your configuration settings to achieve the results for which you were looking.

• User profile image
    DigitalDud

Heh yeah I installed the new Ubuntu on a 3 year old Dell laptop (it has a broken CD drive, so I needed a network install OS).  Hardware all works including wireless except I get to choose between stable suspend/hibernatation and not crashing for more than 5 minutes.  Too bad I can't have both, or I could just figure out how to network install XP. Smiley

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.