Coffeehouse Thread

25 posts

So I gave Linux another go the weekend

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    andokai

    oh forgive me noble defender of linux, i should've known better than to speak ill of your saviour.

    i know all about editing the xorg.conf file and x11 before that and how you can use that to give yourself 7 button mice etc. my point is, if you allow me the good fortune of one is that you do this in a conf file not in the dialog. if your system isn't setup correctly at the beginning then you're sol if you want to fix things in a way that's familiar to windows and mac users.

    has that cleared the fog enough for you?

  • User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

    DigitalDud wrote:
    Heh yeah I installed the new Ubuntu on a 3 year old Dell laptop (it has a broken CD drive, so I needed a network install OS).  Hardware all works including wireless except I get to choose between stable suspend/hibernatation and not crashing for more than 5 minutes.  Too bad I can't have both, or I could just figure out how to network install XP.


    Ubuntu 7.10 has 2.6.22.

    ACPI functions are supposibly more stable in 2.6.23 now. I know my system finally hibernates with that kernel and has never done so before without crashing on resume or crashing before cutting power. Standby still isn't an option in the menu, though.

    It also has a new task scheduler, so multitasking is a bit smoother because no single app can hog all the CPU resources.

  • User profile image
    k2t0f12d

    andokai wrote:
    my point is, if you allow me the good fortune of one is that you do this in a conf file not in the dialog.


    Yes, thats what I said, and that wasn't your point.

    andokai wrote:
    if your system isn't setup correctly at the beginning then you're sol if you want to fix things in a way that's familiar to windows and mac users.


    There is the crux of your argument, that the GNOME screen resolution dialog is useless because it doesn't do something that you claim you knew it wasn't designed to do but think should, because of what you would expect based on the behavior of other completely unrelated software.

  • User profile image
    elmer

    leeappdalecom wrote:
    My point is if Linux on the desktop is to be taken seriously people shouldn't have to spend hours in the terminal window messing around with config files.


    Unfortunately, the *nix community still see this as a plus.

    To use a car analogy, they see it as a right of passage that every motorist should be a qualified mechanic.

    However, most people just want to drive the car, and are prepared to tolerate the need to occasionally refuel it, but not much more.

  • User profile image
    DigitalDud

    elmer wrote:
    
    leeappdalecom wrote:
    My point is if Linux on the desktop is to be taken seriously people shouldn't have to spend hours in the terminal window messing around with config files.


    Unfortunately, the *nix community still see this as a plus.

    To use a car analogy, they see it as a right of passage that every motorist should be a qualified mechanic.

    However, most people just want to drive the car, and are prepared to tolerate the need to occasionally refuel it, but not much more.


    It is a plus, thats the thing, being able to mess around with everything is what makes Linux useful in some spaces.  Now, attempting to shoehorn it into a desktop OS by hiding everything behind poorly designed wizards/druids/whatever is what sucks.

  • User profile image
    elmer

    DigitalDud wrote:
    
    elmer wrote:
    
    leeappdalecom wrote:
    My point is if Linux on the desktop is to be taken seriously people shouldn't have to spend hours in the terminal window messing around with config files.


    Unfortunately, the *nix community still see this as a plus.

    To use a car analogy, they see it as a right of passage that every motorist should be a qualified mechanic.

    However, most people just want to drive the car, and are prepared to tolerate the need to occasionally refuel it, but not much more.


    It is a plus, thats the thing, being able to mess around with everything is what makes Linux useful in some spaces.  Now, attempting to shoehorn it into a desktop OS by hiding everything behind poorly designed wizards/druids/whatever is what sucks.


    Context... It's not the ABILITY to, but the NEED to... that's the thing that the *nix community still wears as a badge of honour (that whole technical quest thing) and which the wider populace just doesn't have any interest in.

  • User profile image
    Erisan

    Xaero_Vincent wrote:
    
    It also has a new task scheduler, so multitasking is a bit smoother because no single app can hog all the CPU resources.


    Btw. 2.6.24 release will have lots of scheduler improvements. There's quite a many developers working on it all the time.

    Kernel 2.6.24 seems "yet another big step forward". I'm really looking forward it.

    Still empty, but this site will be the place where you can find all new features listed: http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_2_6_24

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.