Coffeehouse Thread

16 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Open Handset Alliance

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Erisan

"Open Handset Alliance™, a group of more than 30 technology and mobile companies who have come together to accelerate innovation in mobile and offer consumers a richer, less expensive, and better mobile experience. Together we have developed Android™, the first complete, open, and free mobile platform."

http://www.openhandsetalliance.com/index.html

Article (TechCrunch)

Interesting. There's quite a many platforms already. Many where to choose from.

• User profile image
    Rossj

Erisan wrote:
    "Open Handset Alliance™, a group of more than 30 technology and mobile companies who have come together to accelerate innovation in mobile and offer consumers a richer, less expensive, and better mobile experience. Together we have developed Android™, the first complete, open, and free mobile platform."

I'd hate to be on the Windows Mobile team at the moment, fairly small marketshare already and the potential here to lose some of it... let's see what Mr Rubin has up his sleeve - can't wait to learn more about Android.

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

Well I've never used it but I've always had a very good impression of Windows Mobile. So unless this can outperform Windows mobile I don't see what the risk is.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

GoddersUK wrote:
    Well I've never used it but I've always had a very good impression of Windows Mobile. So unless this can outperform Windows mobile I don't see what the risk is.

FOSS's decentralised and inherently fragmented nature gives rise to well-defined specifications for interopability between small programs which "do one thing, and do it well".

Ordinarily that's fine, but it means hell when it comes to developing consistent and effective user-interfaces (essential for mobile devices), this is where Apple and Microsoft's advantages are (well, relativly, WM's UI has a long way to go).

• User profile image
    Dharma Punk

Whither OpenMoko?

• User profile image
    j0217995

Dharma Punk wrote:
    Whither OpenMoko?

I'm glad you linked to OpenMoko.  My first  thought on the "first open" platform was what don't they know about OpenMoko which has been along for a long time?

• User profile image
    JeremyJ

Oh goody.  Now we can look forward to 3700 mobile OS distros now. Tongue Out

I love how they say that it is so great because it is "open".  How exactly does this equate to a benifit for the consumer?

• User profile image
    Harlequin

Open Handset Alliance™ is just a voluntary group of people who leave their phones on during movies and operas. Nothing more.

• User profile image
    odujosh

I think OHA real goal is to enforce a fair montenazation of mobile technologies. I see the cell phone market very similair to AOL in its hey day who use to get away with charge by the hour for internet access on the basis of superficially better experience.

Eventually the mobile phone carrier market will have to realize they can't continue to charge unfair rates for basic internet access. Mass Wireless will probably be what needs to happen for this bubble to burst. I don't think it is a question of will its a question of when. There has to be technological shift I don't think this will be a willing change.

• User profile image
    kettch

odujosh wrote:
    I think OHA real goal is to enforce a fair montenazation of mobile technologies.

Call me a pessimist, but Google is the one organizing all of this. Why would Google do that? Google doesn't do things that don't have some chance of being a business opportunity.

Now, what is Google's only business?

Advertisements.

• User profile image
    Jason Cox

kettch wrote:
    Now, what is Google's only business?

Advertisements.

Phone: *ring ring*
    User: Hello?
    Phone: Hello, this is Google Mobile AdSense [beta], I see you're passing by a Pizza Hut, would you like to hear today's specials?
    User: No.
    Phone: Ok, you're looking for Wal-Mart. Please left on Jefferson Ave and travel-
    User: What the hell...
    Phone: Connecting to Dell Customer Service, please hold.

• User profile image
    BlackTiger

This "android" site is a JOKE! Big Smile
    Just a mockery to laugh at all "open".

If you stumbled and fell down, it doesn't mean yet, that you're going in the wrong direction.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Erisan

JeremyJ wrote:
    I love how they say that it is so great because it is "open".  How exactly does this equate to a benifit for the consumer?

Maybe not directly to consumers but developers and hopefully in that way it will be great thing to consumers.

I have used open platform on my N800 and 770 and as a developer I just love it. 100% customizable. No companies saying "if you don't like it... well, no can do."

• User profile image
    Erisan

BlackTiger wrote:
    This "android" site is a JOKE!
    Just a mockery to laugh at all "open".

Yes, it still lacks of information.

But - "An early look at the Android Software Development Kit (SDK) will be available on November 12th", so wait a week and visit there again.

• User profile image
    Ray6

Well, I hope it goes well; competition is always good.

I am concerned that there are carriers involved, because they certainly don't have consumer interests at heart.

And as someone else said, what was wrong with OpenMoko.

• User profile image
    Massif

I'm with Fake Steve Jobs on this one... It's a feeble attempt to claw some attention back from the iPhone.

(Loved his comment about an "Open Search Alliance"...)

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.