Coffeehouse Thread

18 posts

Cool user interfaces?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Dodo

I need some ideas for user interfaces and I'd like to know, how you would want a stunning UI to be looking like.
    Thanks. Smiley

• User profile image
    RobbieCrusoe

Depends on who you are aiming the app at, and of course, what the app is.

I would say though:

Easy to use
    Logical layout
    Grouped functionality

Remember the old acronym... KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid).

• User profile image
    mcampbell

"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

• User profile image
    Dodo

RobbieCrusoe wrote:

I was in general thinking of graphical user interfaces... and not of a simple one...

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

It should be 4 chrome spheres manipulated by twitching your ears.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

see OS X

• User profile image
    Dodo

DCMonkey wrote:

Hmmm... sounds great Big Smile
    But...
    • We haven't 4 dimensional screens (yeah still 2D Sad )
    • How can an application twitch an ear?
    Erm... say... target anyone but those under 13.

• User profile image
    figuerres

Dodo wrote:

RobbieCrusoe wrote:

I was in general thinking of graphical user interfaces... and not of a simple one...

?? 

"and not of a simple one..."

big mistake...

if the task / process is complex and the UI refelcts the work then look for a better model - like an abstraction

to much is just to much...

study design and how humans intereact.

a few "semi well known" bits:

phone numbers are 7 digits in the usa / north america
    area codes are 3
    zip codes are 5
    social secuirty numbers 9

why?  it's not by accident, the patterns are that way so folks can remember them.

ask max of 10 items.

• User profile image
    Dodo

figuerres wrote:

?? 

"and not of a simple one..."

big mistake...

if the task / process is complex and the UI refelcts the work then look for a better model - like an abstraction

to much is just to much...

study design and how humans intereact.
    Erm... I didn't say I'd confuse users...
    A complex GUI can be simple to the outside...
    I'd more rather like to know how you'd want a UI to interact with you, how it should look and feel like...

• User profile image
    Massif

It should be consistent. (within itself, and preferably with the environment.)
    It should animate to indicate changing state, but not otherwise.
    It should have clear, easily identifiable, and distinct icons.
    It should show information pertinent to the task at hand... but nothing surplus.
    It should expose things I never thought the system could do (but only if they're relevant to the task at hand.)

I mean... Come on!!! You want to know what a cool user interface would look like? Study human-computer interaction, know what the software will do, and find similar apps that do the same job, study them and find out why they work or don't.

That's kinda like saying: "what should a cool car look like?"... kinda too vague to be a useful question and get meaningful answers... I mean, "what should a cool sports car look like?" is considerably better... but "what should a cool small two-seater sports car with sufficient luggage space for a weekend away look like?" is much better.

• User profile image
    Johnny​Awesome

One my favorite quotes that I always think of was from a behind the scenes interview about level design for the game Splinter Cell. The designers were talking about early on how things work. So, if opening a door is one way; it has to remain that way throughout the game.

Whatever you decide upon (and certain KISS is the best), just remain consistant. Going to different pages should never result in unepxtec navigation behavior or placement.

And like Joel Spolsky says in User INterface Design For Programmers; you're kind of stuck with the expected UI. Which is why every word processing program looks pretty much like Word. It kinf of sucks from a design perspective, but you just can't do something totally out of the blue. Not that it wouldn't be really cool, it's just that people will reject it.

Good luck!!

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

JohnnyAwesome wrote:
    One my favorite quotes that I always think of was from a behind the scenes interview about level design for the game Splinter Cell. The designers were talking about early on how things work. So, if opening a door is one way; it has to remain that way throughout the game.
    what interview, link? Splinter Cell is one of my favorites

• User profile image
    Minh

DCMonkey wrote:

Sounds like an interesting paradigm shift. But I bet you haven't really thought about accessiblity issues. What if I'm a UFC fighter with cauliflower ears? Huh?

http://www.techsideline.com/columns/2005/faustear.jpg

• User profile image
    bradutz01

Hi, There are some themes for WPF Controls at http://www.xamltemplates.net let me know what you think.

• User profile image
    Pace

Dont make me think! Wink best guidline for a ui

• User profile image
    BlackTiger

Pace said:
    I've seen some "simple" UI... Very simple... Very much simple... Extremely stupid. Stupidity kills.
    Never follow stupid "KISS" rule! Listen for uncle Einstein.

If you stumbled and fell down, it doesn't mean yet, that you're going in the wrong direction.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    BlackTiger

Pace said:
    "One button to rule'em all"? Big Smile

If you stumbled and fell down, it doesn't mean yet, that you're going in the wrong direction.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    GoddersUK

BlackTiger said:
    Pace said:
    *snip*
    "One button to rule'em all"? Big Smile

necro thread...

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.