Coffeehouse Thread

47 posts

What would you like to do in Microsoft?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • rjdohnert

If I could work with the UNIX labs or the Windows team I would be happy forever.  where would you guys like to work in Microsoft and why?  What changes would you make?

• blowdart

At the minute? Beat up the Cardspace (and by proxy ADFS) team until they document Big Smile

• Dodo

I'd like to work on something which exposes ALL settings for Windows in some kind of accessible and neat UI. Smiley
    I really like settings, so I'd stand up for incorporating even more of them. Smiley

• ManipUni

Clean the toilets!

• Dodo

ManipUni wrote:

Clean the toilets!

What the heck!?

• bitdisaster

Microsoft Research would be nice. Working on things like Singularity, Surface, PhotoSynth,....

• webmonkey

I Would love to work on Media Center, Windows Live stuff - maps & messenger would be nice, or channel9 of course Tongue Out

• longzheng

The person who archives all the assets created by Microsoft Design.

• Sven Groot

section31 wrote:
    Microsoft Research would be nice. Working on things like Singularity, Surface, PhotoSynth,....

Agreed, that's definitely where I'd want to work too if I ever end up at MS.

• Charles

Sven Groot wrote:

section31 wrote:

I'd really encourage you to apply for an internship at MSR before you complete your PhD. Summer internships are a great way to get in the door and work on incredibly interesting projects going on in MSR (not to mention learning from and working with some of the best minds in computer science...).

C

• Sven Groot

Charles wrote:

Sven Groot wrote:

section31 wrote:

I'd really encourage you to apply for an internship at MSR before you complete your PhD. Summer internships are a great way to get in the door and work on incredibly interesting projects going on in MSR (not to mention learning from and working with some of the best minds in computer science...).

Although that sounds like a very interesting idea, it's rather unlikely to be possible considering the terms of my scholarship.

• figuerres

Hmmm.... this is a big one...

in a way I'd like to work in many parts of MSFT

a lot of my skills over time have been in SQL server so that's one

but also .net and many other things.

some of the time I wish I could just be the 800 pound gorrilla bashing some stuff around to get things moving...

but most of the time I'd rather be hip-deep in solving a problem.

in some ways I'd take balmers "developers, developers...."
    and turn it into "Get focused...."  so many things MSFT is working on that seem at times so spread around...

• cornelius

be a server monkey Smiley oh wait im one already Expressionless

balancing loads for high traffic sites is my passion

• staceyw

I would like to work with Joe Duffy, Don Box, and Doug Purdy in general (and Anders of course), and Cultler.  Heck, I could just go on and on.  btw, Don and Doug are working on some new language thing :
    http://www.douglasp.com/blog/2007/11/15/MyTeamIsHiring.aspx

When are they going to anounce the project? 

• Tom Servo

Take a hammer to the RAID arrays and backup tapes that host the Windows source code. Maybe they'll start over that time.

• JChung2006

Improve developer documentation.

• staceyw

JChung2006 wrote:
    Improve developer documentation.

That would be a challenge. The bar is pretty high you have to admit.

• MasterPi

Work in Marketing...

so that we wont have another "Office is for Dinosaurs" campaign or a "Wow starts now" campaign.

Tongue Out

Charles wrote:
    C

Hey Charles, I turned 18 last Friday. Does that make me eligible for an internship at MS? Big Smile

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.