Coffeehouse Thread

14 posts

PNG wallpapers?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Manabi

How come Windows Vista doesn't support PNG wallpapers?  This is especially annoying since I have a large collection (of wallpapers) and it's a pain having to convert them to JPG every time.

Anyone know of anything that I can install to add PNG support?

• User profile image
    the-​laughing-man

It does in an odd way. I thought you were lying but you're right in the Personalise section and setting backgrounds etc it's not there.

However if you open it in Windows Photo Gallery, right click the photo and go to "set as desktop background" and it'll be fine!

Edit: looking over it I guess it converts it to a JPG for you? It seems pretty damn instant and there isn't a noticable loss in quality for me as it was actually scaling a 640x480 PNG to 1440x900 so it did it fairly well, you'd have to tell me if it works for what you need!

• User profile image
    Heywood_J

Is there a benefit to wallpaper in PNG format or is it just a matter of convenience (i.e. you happen to have a lot of PNG files)

• User profile image
    Manabi

Well PNG does boast better quality than JPG right?  Also alot of wallpapers are being saved in PNG format to preserve their original quality. 

And it's also a matter of convenience as well.

• User profile image
    n4cer

It appears they simply didn't add .PNG to the list of filters for the Browse dialog in Personalize. You can type *.* or *.png in that dialog so that PNGs show up. However, you can also just right-click on any PNG in Explorer and choose Set as Desktop Background.

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

Solved:

Via the control panel you cannot add a background as a .PNG, but you can right click a .PNG file and select "Set as Desktop Background"

• User profile image
    ZippyV

I'll bug it for Vista's SP1.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

If you have access to the Windows beta site at Connect, please vote for the bug:

https://connect.microsoft.com/windows/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=314985

• User profile image
    Manabi

ZippyV wrote:
    If you have access to the Windows beta site at Connect, please vote for the bug:

https://connect.microsoft.com/windows/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=314985

Page not found? Perplexed

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Do you have access to that site?

• User profile image
    Dodo

Manabi wrote:

Page not found?
    The funny thing about it is, it doesn't tell you, you've got no access, but says 'Page not found' instead... they should change this behavior... would be better.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Field Resolution changed from [Not Set] to [Won't Fix]

Sad

• User profile image
    Bas

ZippyV wrote:
    Field Resolution changed from [Not Set] to [Won't Fix]

Perplexed

Why wouldn't they want to fix this?

• User profile image
    Bas

Dodo wrote:

Manabi wrote:

Page not found?
    The funny thing about it is, it doesn't tell you, you've got no access, but says 'Page not found' instead... they should change this behavior... would be better.

Maybe you submit it as a bug. Tongue Out

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.