Coffeehouse Thread

4 posts

Music recording setup on the cheap

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • Larsenal

I imagine there are plenty of C9 musicians out there.  I'm trying to get started with recording a little of my own guitar + piano music.  Since I'm nearly broke, it's not realistic for me to try to get a "proper" setup.  With about $100, what would be the best use of my money?

I'm considering one or a combination of the following:
    - A 1/8" mic that's better than the $10 one currently on my desk.  I've heard that some of the mics used on camcorders do a decent job.
    - A USB or Firewire audio interface (might be beyond my budget)
    - A USB Microphone (getting more popular for podcasts it seems)

I'll probably use Acid Music Studio since I've had good experiences with that line of products in the past.  I'm not counting that in my $100 budget.

Any advice to share?  Hope I'm not the only C9 musician.

• Ion Todirel

Jamie had some things? to do with music, maybe you should write him a email?

sorry i don't know the answer to your question just trying to help...

• phreaks

Larsenal wrote:

I imagine there are plenty of C9 musicians out there.  I'm trying to get started with recording a little of my own guitar + piano music.  Since I'm nearly broke, it's not realistic for me to try to get a "proper" setup.  With about $100, what would be the best use of my money?

I'm considering one or a combination of the following:
    - A 1/8" mic that's better than the $10 one currently on my desk.  I've heard that some of the mics used on camcorders do a decent job.
    - A USB or Firewire audio interface (might be beyond my budget)
    - A USB Microphone (getting more popular for podcasts it seems)

I'll probably use Acid Music Studio since I've had good experiences with that line of products in the past.  I'm not counting that in my $100 budget.

Any advice to share?  Hope I'm not the only C9 musician.

Depends on the camera, but I've used that trick in a pinch, my camera produces pretty good audio.

I extract the Audio in Vegas (directly from the camera, DON'T import the video and THEN extract audio) and import it into cakewalk.

• JasonOlson

For a cheap and easy setup, there is this USB Mic: http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1810. It's a condenser mic as well, so is also great for vocals. I was able to get mine for under $100 IIRC.

I eventually stopped using it because the ASIO drivers conflicted with my audio card and forced me to have some ugly "hacks" to get it working in a low-latency environment. For your needs, I'm sure this won't be a problem though.

If you want to start "stepping it up", a good way to upgrade your experience is with a good digital audio card, a mixer (running into the audio card), and a real microphone into the mixer (you could even have a direct box for guitar if you wish). And a good quality and affordable DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) is SONAR. The Home Studio XL version of SONAR is quite powerful for hobbyist use and is affordable to boot.

Where I've sunk most of my money into is high quality sample libraries. MAN, those get 'SPENSIVE!!!!

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.