Coffeehouse Thread

95 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

IE Team Interview?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Dodo

Dr Herbie wrote:
    Transparency appears to be a double-edged sword
    Reminds me of something... somewhat... translucent... I think.

Wanna see something too Smiley

• User profile image
    Massif

creditcard wrote:
    ...you really don't want to take web developers by surprise.

Why? Are they dangerous?

Fictitious news source wrote:

13 killed in Web Developer Frenzy!

"They caught me by surprise, it was instinct!" Cries a web developer who cannot be named for legal reasons.

Calls for further restrictions on web developers, and a central web developer database have gained promenance over the years. This latest tragic incident will only add fuel to these demands.

• User profile image
    BruceMorgan

Sven Groot wrote:

creditcard wrote:
    I bet most of the IE team is working on Silverlight.

I'm fairly sure that's not the same team.

The two have nothing to do with each other from an organizational perspective.

Silverlight is off with .NET and other developer technologies in DevDiv.

IE is part of the Windows & Windows Live team, under Steven Sinofsky, and that's part of Platform & Services Division under Kevin Johnson.

Remember, folks, Microsoft has tens of thousands of poeple in product development.

• User profile image
    Bas

Hmm, according to LiveSide, there will be disclosures on IE8 "during the Mix08 timeframe".  In other words, four months to go.

• User profile image
    littleguru

BruceMorgan wrote:
    IE is part of the Windows & Windows Live team, under Steven Sinofsky, and that's part of Platform & Services Division under Kevin Johnson.

Remember, folks, Microsoft has tens of thousands of poeple in product development.

Steven Sinofsky...

Why should they abandon IE again? There is no real reason: right now with Firefox getting more popular each day Wink

• User profile image
    Charles

Make no mistake, Sinofsky does believe in Transparency. It's just that he is very cautious with respect to revealing information that may or may not be relevant in the context of reality (think WinFS and several other Vista constructs that never came to be based on the realities inherent in making quality software that you also ship).

We will definitely have IE8 coverage on C9, but only when they, the IE team, have realistic things to talk about that won't set expectations improperly....

I'd hazzard to guess that the IE 8 team is very busy at work on the next great IE. I'd also state that I have no real idea what they are doing, exactly, and that's fine. The point is, they ARE doing...

C

• User profile image
    littleguru

Charles wrote:
    Make no mistake, Sinofsky does believe in Transparency. It's just that he is very cautious with respect to revealing information that may or may not be relevant in the context of reality (think WinFS and several other Vista constructs that never came to be based on the realities inherent in making quality software that you also ship).

We will definitely have IE8 coverage on C9, but only when they, the IE team, have realistic things to talk about that won't set expectations improperly....

I'd hazzard to guess that the IE 8 team is very busy at work on the next great IE. I'd also state that I have no real idea what they are doing, exactly, and that's fine. The point is, they ARE doing...

C

No words agains Sinofsky. He DELIVERS what he says Smiley But he doesn't say much until he delivers. But it's fine. I'm in no hurry since I'm happy with IE7 as it is right now Smiley

How much do I love this minimized UI! - lovely.

• User profile image
    cornelius

looks like the system works

the IE Team has heard our concerns (eventually)

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2007/12/05/internet-explorer-8.aspx

http://blogs.msdn.com/petel/archive/2007/12/05/ie8-and-vpc-s.aspx

please please microsoft remember your own "developers,developers,developers" pitch and actually listen to developers who are suffering immensely from current versions of Internet explorer

• User profile image
    arunmib

I certainly see no reason for IE being out......
    I have a doubt? What will they name IE after version 9. Will it be IE 10 or something follows IE....lets say IE X or IE Nxt or .......

• User profile image
    cornelius

arunmib wrote:
    I certainly see no reason for IE being out......
    I have a doubt? What will they name IE after version 9. Will it be IE 10 or something follows IE....lets say IE X or IE Nxt or .......

it will be called

Internet Explorer 2030

and will come in several versions:

Internet Explorer 2030 Home Basic
    Internet Explorer 2030 Home Premium
    Internet Explorer 2030 Business Basic
    Internet Explorer 2030 Business Pro
    Internet Explorer 2030 Ultimate
    Internet Explorer 2030 Media Center edition
    Internet Explorer 2030 Mobile

• User profile image
    Charles

Be careful. You may just get what you're asking for Wink
    C

• User profile image
    littleguru

Charles wrote:
    Be careful. You may just get what you're asking for
    C

Internet Explorer for the Micro Framework? Smiley

• User profile image
    arunmib

what do you think could be the problem with IE team, for not being able to deliver frequent versions? :O
    AFAIK it should not be as tough as writing an OS or something like VS......any ideas anybody????[A]

• User profile image
    Massif

arunmib wrote:
    what do you think could be the problem with IE team, for not being able to deliver frequent versions?
    AFAIK it should not be as tough as writing an OS or something like VS......any ideas anybody????

A few possible reasons:

IE is the primary attack vector for most exploits.

Also, CSS is complicated. (Not sure how complicated, but supporting it is clearly hard because everyone's struggled to fully support it for years.)

And so is maintaining a runtime for scripting languages. (How long until javascript is supported under .NET and so IE can offload javascript processing to the .NET runtime? Or is that impossible?)

Also, the IE team is a lot smaller than the windows one.

• User profile image
    cornelius

Massif wrote:

thats true but why not increase the team size? Microsoft does have a bottomless pit of money to dig into

i mean either abandon IE or make it work as for last few years all  IE accomplished is make it web-developers (developers developers, developers my arse!) life miserable and tarnish Microsoft's company image further

i dunno whether the marketing department at microsoft are in a bubble (with alot of happy smiling people like the vs2008 install screen) completely isolated from the outside world but damn they are doing a terrible job at PR

im sorry to be putting all the pressure on the IE team, im sure its not their fault as someone higher up in the ranks obviously needs to sit down and analyze the browser situation and maybe listen to some of the feedback people are giving

• User profile image
    arunmib

Massif wrote:

I can accept your points on the technical issues....but this last one is not acceptable. A team size is decided based on the amount of work available. If there is lot of work, they must increase the team size....

P.S: I understand that it's your view and I am not complaining or attacking you on any sort....Wink

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

cornelius wrote:
    i mean either abandon IE or make it work as for last few years all  IE accomplished is make it web-developers (developers developers, developers my arse!) life miserable and tarnish Microsoft's company image further

Despite what people say, IE is actually quite a feat of engineering. It generally works, it's the biggest browser in use, and it remains the only browser that you can sensibly embed in an application.

It seems to me that there are three big browsers. Firefox, IE and Opera, and they all operate differently. The reason web-developers are pissed is because they have to make a website that runs on all three. Since most people continue to ignore Opera, it's a toss of a coin between you develop for IE and you get pissed at Firefox for not being IE, or you develop for Firefox and you get pissed at IE for not being Firefox.

One of them has a Microsoft label, the other is open-sauce, and therefore must be made by people who love one another very much, and who grow flowers and hug trees, so it must be the baby-murdering devil-worshippers at Microsoft who should take the blame.

• User profile image
    Bas

cornelius wrote:

i mean either abandon IE or make it work

IE works just fine for me. Okay, maybe it doesn't follow standards, but standards mean nothing to me as a user, and neither do developers.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.