Coffeehouse Thread

95 posts

Vista SP1 will neuter WGA

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • Ray6

Has someone posted this already?

According to Ed Bott over at ZDNet, Microsoft has seen reason, and will no longer semi-brick your PC if it suspects that you are running a non-genuine copy of Vista.

Although Vista SP1 will still display the piracy messages, folk will no longer be subjected to the so-called 'reduced functionality' mode.

A triumph for the customer and common sense.

• Bas

Yeah, here. I think it's a good compromise. I'm all for bricking non-genuine installations, but the process to determine wether or not a system is non-genuine isn't watertight, and prone to slip-ups like a few months ago. Disabling genuine users is unacceptable, so this is a nice in-between.

• jamie

This just happened to me over the past few days.  The 2nd installs (laptops) of Vista Ult - started nagging ...  reduced functionality... 5 ways to activate... (*even though they were activated at install)

then on the 3d day or so they switched over to useless mode: browser to ms.com only...

I noticed that they have an automated activator now = no real person to talk to.. so I typed in the gazillion numbers listening to a robot ... and guess what - it didnt work..

Luckily the system realized this and put me in touch with a person.

I said - hi i have the ultimate version - and i loaded on laptop as well - she said one minute ...  16273738489506060694837293

and ta da.. now it works

So... YOU CAN load vista ult on more than one machine - within reason... but they are doing there best to make it hard and a pain in the butt

I was inches from wiping all 4 machines and going back to xp - just because I could work without fear of waking up to a brick every morning.

So Vista lives on... we'll see if this magically .. comes back - as it seems to like to use my bandwidth to chat to other servers

lastly - if they are indeed removing this bad vibe generator... well...

• Ray6

Hmph!

I even posted to that thread and I still missed it

What is very odd, is the prices for upgrading to a genuine copy.

Almost worth installing a pirate copy to get a cheap upgrade ... Perplexed

• jamie

just saw this quote from the slashdot story about this:

"[Microsoft corporate vice president Mike Sievert] added: "It's worth re-emphasizing that our fundamental strategy has not changed. All copies of Windows Vista still require activation and the system will continue to validate from time to time to verify that systems are activated properly."

the red part is what i cannot stand.  You load windows - you type the key... then you activate...then you validate... and youre done!

no more worrying about this crap...oops - see above... it is going to check over and over..  leaving you with the issue of never knowing when the other shoe will drop

• Bas

jamie wrote:
    just saw this quote from the slashdot story about this:

"[Microsoft corporate vice president Mike Sievert] added: "It's worth re-emphasizing that our fundamental strategy has not changed. All copies of Windows Vista still require activation and the system will continue to validate from time to time to verify that systems are activated properly."

I wonder what he means, there. Will Windows actually call home occasionally to check validity, or does this mean "If you download IE8, it'll check if you're using a valid installation"?

• jamie

no i believe it means vista is set to check every _x_ amount of days thats its activated

so you never no when it will be in a bad mood one day = always left UNSURE your computer is yours and that it will function whenever you NEED it

• Ray6

jamie wrote:
    no i believe it means vista is set to check every _x_ amount of days thats its activated

so you never no when it will be in a bad mood one day = always left UNSURE your computer is yours and that it will function whenever you NEED it

But ... but why??!

Does Windows have short term memory loss? Why can't it remember that is has already been validated?

• GoddersUK

So that if you install it on too many pcs the validation for the earlier ones can be cancelled.

• stevo_

No, it's checking to see if its been activated from another machine right? When you activate I imagine it keeps the activation signature, and checks every so often to see if your current machines signature matches the online one?

• jamie

re: ray6

right... so if you're in a so called gray area - like using windows long enough to remember that if you buy xp pro you can load it on more than one machine... you will never be safe

ballmer wants one windows per machine period - that is why they are making it so hard to find this information, and using robots on the phone

sure - it was ..nice.. enough to give me a key..  who knows what key.  it sure isnt the one that came with ultimate - that lets pretend i bought at staples for 499$ cdn.

I bet within weeks it hiccups and sees the old number or machine and does this again.. causing me to call again.

it should be once at install - and if you pass - your done with it.  hardware should also not be a factor

http://www.microsoft.com/india/vistasongs/WoW%20is%20Now%20-%20full%20song.mp3

• AndyC

Ray6 wrote:

Does Windows have short term memory loss? Why can't it remember that is has already been validated?

The scenario re-activation is targetted at is this one:

Day 1: Pirated key is released on internet, people install cracked version, it activates fine.

Day 2: Microsoft block key as known pirated serial

Day 3: Windows re-activates and those who had been using the pirated key are now told they are non-genuine.

If you've installed with a legit key then you're not likely to ever be affected by this, as it's really only volume keys that are going to be targetted (which, as a home user, you obviously aren't using). The ones who do have to worry are corporates who can't keep their own keys under control and KMS goes a long way to sorting that one out.

• AndyC

jamie wrote:
    like using windows long enough to remember that if you buy xp pro you can load it on more than one machine...

You keep repeating this and it simply isn't true. One license of Windows has always be required for each machine.

Office on the other hand used to allow an install on two machines (one a desktop, the other a laptop), but that was never a general rule.

• eagle

Microsoft says the new notifications will lead to online “get legal” offers comparable to those for XP:

• Windows Vista Home Basic, $89
    • Windows Vista Home Premium, $119
    • Windows Vista Business, $145
    • Windows Vista Ultimate, $199

Ironically, those prices are significantly better than the retail prices that you’ll find from legitimate Windows resellers. In theory, at least, a consumer could install a copy of Windows Vista without a product key, refuse to activate the system for 30 days, and then purchase a perfectly legal license at a discount using Microsoft’s online offer.

Not only that, but you could VoIP in from anywhere in the world and say you live in Ohio.....

• jamie

AndyC wrote:

jamie wrote:
    like using windows long enough to remember that if you buy xp pro you can load it on more than one machine...

You keep repeating this and it simply isn't true. One license of Windows has always be required for each machine.

Office on the other hand used to allow an install on two machines (one a desktop, the other a laptop), but that was never a general rule.

so why did i just receive a new key for ult from ms for laptop... as i have done for xppro

they just made an exception for me?

edit:

from canadian staples website:

500$ and you can put it on ONE machine?  give me a break
    *please note: full version - not OEM = yes one machine only

• jamie

just for fun I went to the USA Staples website...

so... our dollar is worth more than the US dollar right now... and vista is double the price?

• YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

jamie wrote:

so why did i just receive a new key for ult from ms for laptop... as i have done for xppro

2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.
    Before you use the software under a license, you must assign that license to one device (physical hardware system). That device is the “licensed device.”

A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a separate device.

a. Licensed Device. You may install one copy of the software on the licensed device. You may use the software on up to two processors on that device at one time.

here's an interesting part that I'm sure nobody read:

b. Monthly Fees. You may have to send 10$ to YearOfTheDesktopLinux each month unless you want to anger the mighty god Clippy

• jamie

YearOfTheLinuxDesktop wrote:

jamie wrote:

2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.
    Before you use the software under a license, you must assign that license to one device (physical hardware system). That device is the “licensed device.”

wow - i must be special!  Tongue Out

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.