Coffeehouse Thread

20 posts

Do you remember?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Does anyone here remember the "Choose your adventure" books? I was watching Family Guy the other night and seen the episode where Peter was reading one and it reminded me of it...I was wondering if anyone knows of an online version....

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol
  • User profile image
    PerfectPhase

Wouldn't today's online version be WoW or some such?

Just had a look at my book shelf and I still have a couple of the original books Smiley

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

PerfectPhase wrote:

Wink no it wouldn't.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

PerfectPhase wrote:

Except less literary skills. In fact, I'd say WoW usage leads to a decline in literacy (lol, noob).

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

Sorry for the OT, but your subject made me remember something different:

• User profile image
    Bas

DCMonkey wrote:

It reminded me of chalkhearts melting on the playground wall.

OT: those books were awesome. Some of them were really elaborate too, and allowed you to collect an inventory to use at various points in the story.

• User profile image
    wkempf

http://www.ifarchive.org

These books were actually just off line variants of the already popular computer "Adventure" games, such as the original "Colossal Cave" and the Infocom games such as Zork, that revolutionized the genre.  Despite not having any commercial success any more, IF (interactive fiction) still has a very strong following, with many "write your own" toolkits and authors generating lots of good stuff.

• User profile image
    phreaks

DCMonkey wrote:

Bob Mould rules.

I realize that may sound a bit juvenile, but it's true.

I never knew he had put a board game out.

//Choose your own adventure books were pretty cool too

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

I remember those things. Loved 'em. Those, and the highlights magazine for kids where you search through landscape-scenes looking for the toothbrush or something Smiley Ahh...the simpler days.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

jsampsonPC wrote:
    I remember those things. Loved 'em. Those, and the highlights magazine for kids where you search through landscape-scenes looking for the toothbrush or something Ahh...the simpler days.

Hehe, yeah I loved when things weren't so complicated...liked it so much....

I wrote a website I'm trying to get hosting for....lets anyone start a story and lets anyone add to the story after it's been created and can take it wherever you want...Once I have hosting and a domain I'll put the link here...

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Cybermagellan wrote:

jsampsonPC wrote:
    I remember those things. Loved 'em. Those, and the highlights magazine for kids where you search through landscape-scenes looking for the toothbrush or something Ahh...the simpler days.

I wrote a website I'm trying to get hosting for....lets anyone start a story and lets anyone add to the story after it's been created and can take it wherever you want...Once I have hosting and a domain I'll put the link here...

I was thinking of such a website, but where users vote for where they want the story to go out of say.. 5 options.

We were going to implement it in my school, as a competiton (it was complicated), until I said I only wanted to do the website and not any writing. Went to pot then.

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Lloyd_Humph wrote:

Cybermagellan wrote:

jsampsonPC wrote:

I was thinking of such a website, but where users vote for where they want the story to go out of say.. 5 options.

We were going to implement it in my school, as a competiton (it was complicated), until I said I only wanted to do the website and not any writing. Went to pot then.

Yeah I don't want to give people options, I want to see what people come up with.

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Cybermagellan wrote:

Lloyd_Humph wrote:

Cybermagellan wrote:

jsampsonPC wrote:

Yeah I don't want to give people options, I want to see what people come up with.

Oh , right well thats what we were going to do. I just didn't understand what you meant Tongue Out

People would write in with their next chapter, then we'd give the community an option on where to go next. Sortof like yours Tongue Out

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

So I remembered that I had this little domain and storage from GoDaddy...so I added the site here...

http://cybermagellan.com/

Sorry about the upper GoDaddy banner, but I is broke...

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Cybermagellan wrote:

jsampsonPC wrote:

Some professional authors are doing that over at http://www.audible.com/freechapter - audio book.

• User profile image
    Tensor

Cybermagellan wrote:
    Does anyone here remember the "Choose your adventure" books? I was watching Family Guy the other night and seen the episode where Peter was reading one and it reminded me of it...I was wondering if anyone knows of an online version....

I do. I discovered them aged about 10, then moved on to the fighting fantasy books and there various siblings. From there its a slippery slope to table top roleplaying, wargaming, and if you arent careful, LARP.

Luckily I avoided WOW.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

Tensor wrote:

Cybermagellan wrote:

I do. I discovered them aged about 10, then moved on to the fighting fantasy books and there various siblings. From there its a slippery slope to table top roleplaying, wargaming, and if you arent careful, LARP.

Luckily I avoided WOW.

Wow has (or recently had) a promotion where they'd give a player a few months free if they could convince their friends to sign up for a weekly test.  It's only a matter of time before WOW and Multi-Level Marketing merge to become some hideous pyramid scheme.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.