Coffeehouse Thread

37 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

The silence is broken! (IE8)

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

The ieblog finally talks about IE8. No real information yet, just a confirmation that they're working on it.

Of course the article comes with the required number of commenters who take the naming joke way too seriously.

• User profile image
    TiAdiMundo

What? It's not called "Windows Live Internet Explorer"? But you can use Windows Live services with it! Like with the Windows Live Photo Gallery... huum...

• User profile image
    feelite

relax guys, they didn't announce anything yet. so far, it's just the name. although, as the earlier post noted, i'm glad that it's not Windows Live Web Browser Perplexed

• User profile image
    staceyw

CompGuy101 wrote:

blehbleh wrote:

CompGuy101 wrote:
    Hmm....

The first news of IE8 and all they say is that it will be called IE8?

Waste of time...

As one niner said "It is sad to see an open-source community [Mozilla] release updates and new products faster than a paid team [Microsoft].

More frequent updates or versions doesn't mean "better"

That is your opinion.

The point of that statement is that if a bug is found, the open-source community releases a fix faster than a team that is getting paid.

Not sure I agree.  Windows Update releases many fixes often before the bloggers even know about the bug it fixed.  I agree in the past it was an issue.  But one could hardly complain now.  They fix and distro stuff very quickly now.  In fact, we have had people here and in the ngs being put off by the number and speed of fixes.  They can't have it both ways.

• User profile image
    magicalclick

feelite wrote:
    relax guys, they didn't announce anything yet. so far, it's just the name. although, as the earlier post noted, i'm glad that it's not Windows Live Web Browser

How about Live Explorer? Or IE Live.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

Sven Groot wrote:
    Of course the article comes with the required number of commenters who take the naming joke way too seriously.

IEBlog wrote:

Ie2.079

I approve.

....if I were defined, of course. If they mean an integral then they're missing the w.r.t. value.

• User profile image
    Matthew van Eerde

Hmmm...  how 'bout IE8.539734222673567065?

• User profile image
    cheong

creditcard wrote:

Anyone want to take bets on which will be out first?

Firefox 4

Internet Explorer 8

Or anyone want to take bets on which Firefox version will have version number the same as IE when it being released?

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    BlackTiger

Sven Groot wrote:
    The ieblog finally talks about IE8. No real information yet, just a confirmation that they're working on it.

At least they are alive and receiving their salaries...

But I think I will be too old to use IE8...

If you stumbled and fell down, it doesn't mean yet, that you're going in the wrong direction.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    LaBomba

What are your predictions for IE8?

What's the next big thing in browsers...where are we headed? 

• User profile image
    Ray6

blehbleh wrote:

CompGuy101 wrote:
    Hmm....

The first news of IE8 and all they say is that it will be called IE8?

Waste of time...

As one niner said "It is sad to see an open-source community [Mozilla] release updates and new products faster than a paid team [Microsoft].

Mozilla releases updates faster than I drink water. More frequent updates or versions doesn't mean "better"

Indeed.  I seem to have got into the habit of using Firefox for everything, even though it seems to crash more and more on my system.

Might be time to take IE out for a spin again.

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier
  • User profile image
    kettch

TommyCarlier wrote:

I got excited when I read that earlier too. However, the post is tagged with IE6VPC, and Pete's posting history indicates that he's posted about new releases of those particular VPC's before.

• User profile image
    Rossj

LaBomba wrote:
    What are your predictions for IE8?

I predict it'll be another IE7 in terms of small baby steps in the general direction of the other browsers but with incomplete implementations of whatever features the other browsers have (by the time of release).

I can't help but think that the painfully slow release cycle of IE will end up slowing down the growth of the web. HTML 5 (when complete) will not gain acceptance until implemented by IE, and it will probably be a long, long time after the spec if finalized.

Sorry for being so cynical, but there are few advantages to Microsoft for IE to do what every other browser does, and I've been bitten before by IE.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

kettch wrote:

TommyCarlier wrote:
    A VPC-image should be available soon: http://blogs.msdn.com/petel/archive/2007/12/05/ie8-and-vpc-s.aspx

I got excited when I read that earlier too. However, the post is tagged with IE6VPC, and Pete's posting history indicates that he's posted about new releases of those particular VPC's before.

He also tagged IE7 vpc's with that tag. I think he just want's to recycle his tags as much as possible.

• User profile image
    Bas

Awesome! Again, I don't care if they don't want to announce stuff, but when a lot of people wonder why the silence, then it's just a good idea to post a message and acknowledge their concerns.

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

Sven Groot wrote:

Haha!

I'm 100% backing Ie2.079 for their next edition of IE Desktop Online Web Browser Live Professional Ultimate Edition for the Internet

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

W3bbo wrote:

Sven Groot wrote:

IEBlog wrote:

Ie2.079

I approve.

....if I were defined, of course. If they mean an integral then they're missing the w.r.t. value.

I is the identity, silly.

or maybe that should be "I am the identity", for the sake of grammar Tongue Out

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.