Coffeehouse Thread

13 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Yahoo Messenger For Vista Preview Available

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    DCMonkey

http://messenger.yahoo.com/windowsvista.php

I assume this is still a WPF app?

• User profile image
    intelman

It is a WPF app and it is freaking sweet. The reason why it took so long was probably because the performance sucks...and you know what it is probably Microsoft's fault...this is sad. This is probably why Microsoft doesn't use it.

Switcher suffers the same performance issues, which the author blames on Windows.

http://insentient.net/

• User profile image
    GEN3RIC

Installed it, used it, found several issues in the design.  It's odd they let them into the preview, considering I was able to provide possible solutions in detail. Perplexed

I think it's awesome, I hope WLM9 or WLM10 uses WPF. So much potential.

• User profile image
    GEN3RIC

intelman wrote:
    It is a WPF app and it is freaking sweet. The reason why it took so long was probably because the performance sucks...and you know what it is probably Microsoft's fault...this is sad. This is probably why Microsoft doesn't use it.

Switcher suffers the same performance issues, which the author blames on Windows.

I don't know, I didn't have any performance issues.  All they need to do is code intelligently.  Use StaticResources instead of DynamicResources...etc.

We used to have performance issues until 3.5 was released.  Cleared a lot of them up, but of course WPF is providing a HIGH quality GUI with a lot of storyboards, yes it's likely any program will be slower.

Not to mention it kind of looks like they were animating things with BitmapEffects..that's just asking for a slideshow.

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

I've tried the new Yahoo messenger out and I think it's "OK"--not an amazing WPF showcase or anything. It loads a bit slowly and the preferences options are very limited in this preview.

You can tell this Yahoo messenger is a WPF app by it's fancier window animations and stuff.

Heres a screen shot of it:

Click to enlarge.Yahoo messenger

• User profile image
    yinxi88

Cool

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Xaero_Vincent wrote:

Heres a screen shot of it:

Click to enlarge.

What distro is that?

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    dahat

That was a pretty long wait for an app that lacks a great deal of functionality and even more stability.

I suppose the one up shot of all of this is that they've written so much underlying managed code that making a third party Y! client may have become easier.

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

Lloyd_Humph wrote:
    What distro is that?

I have Fedora 8 on the laptop.

I wonder when MSN Windows Live Messenger will adopt WPF.

• User profile image
    Human​Compiler

I just installed it and really like it.  Features are lacking, and performance is a bit slow, but I really like the look.  Makes me look back at WLM and be like...eeewwww...

The fact that I can add my WLM contacts to YIM makes it compelling as a possible switch once they fix bugs, add features, etc.

Overall, I likie!  Smiley

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

HumanCompiler wrote:
    I just installed it and really like it.  Features are lacking, and performance is a bit slow, but I really like the look.  Makes me look back at WLM and be like...eeewwww...

The fact that I can add my WLM contacts to YIM makes it compelling as a possible switch once they fix bugs, add features, etc.

Overall, I likie! 

I'd love to heard Fonejacker say the above Smiley

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    jsampsonPC

I installed it last night...got very annoyed with the emoticons blasting out of the chat window and into my face. Was glad to see that I could hide all of the offline people, since last night when I logged on, only 1 of maybe 50 friends were actually online Smiley

The theme-changer for each chat window sucked. Pops up, you get three colors or so plus wood and grass. Your mouse has to be positioned almost exactly in the center of the small theme-previews or else you get a quick flipping back and forth of your current theme, and the them you're hovering.

I like it so far...kinda. Nothing spectacular to be completely honest. I was expecting it to be greater than this. But then again, this is only a preview.

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

jsampsonPC wrote:
    50 friends were actually online

bah!

117 here xD

Last modified

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.